Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheel size predictions for 2019 – what's yours?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Now the dust is settling after the initial size revolution, where do you think we’ll be in five years’ time?

Many WC DH bikes are now running 650B as standard and are not even swapping back to 26 for the tecciest of tracks, so I think it’s reasonable to predict that 26 will be dead. The advantages of 29 are unquestionable now, so I think that size is here to stay.

I think as geometry and design improves for 29, this will be the standard size – I can imagine we’re not far away from regular appearances at DH and the enduro boys will begin to embrace the biggest size more and more.

I can’t imagine 26 wheels and tyres not being available in five years’ time, but it won’t be available other than in limited tyre choice and specific component builds. Is 650B temporary until 29 dominates? Possibly. At the least, I think that 29 will continue to grow and take share from 650B.

chip
    Free Member

clunker

flap_jack
    Free Member

29 x 3 superlight carbon frame rigid. Gets rid of all the stupid tecciness on the bikes. Then we can truly separate those whose want to ride bikes in the wilderness from those who want to ride pogo sticks.

theocb
    Free Member

In the UK 650b will dominate for ‘normal’ riding.

jam-bo

Hoverboards.

piemonster

2019 will be all about different wheel sizes, I reckon 53″ up front and 18″ back.

thepurist

I’ll be running Tabby on the front and Siamese on the back. Siamese is skittish but high performance whereas the Tabby is reliable and forgiving.

chip
    Free Member

I will be too busy fighting in World War III to ride my bike.

GeForceJunky

26″, but everyone will be riding around on 35Lb electrically assisted 160mm bikes.

catschroedinger
    Free Member

Islamicmuslimentalists will have outlawed you riding your bike, wouldnt concern yourself with it.

darkcyan
    Free Member

I actually cant come up with a single comment on this that doesn’t make me feel kind of ill and in need of a little nap!

Apart from “I actually cant come up with a single comment on this that doesn’t make me feel kind of ill and in need of a little nap!”

DC

womble321
    Free Member

1 metre

maxtorque

Wheels will have been completely replaced, almost overnight, when in later 2017 Shimano bring out their HzeroVer through axle system. This harnesses and re-directs the strong atomic repulsive forces created by the Higgs Bosun particle whilst being bombarded by a low intensity stream of the “Graham Norton Show”. As such, your bike will simply hover at a offset distance off the ground and stay there. (That distance will of course be controllable from a small device on the handlebars (or your smartphone natch) and 24,26,27.5 & 29 inch options are available.

This is the only explanation for why Shimano haven’t brought out a credible 1by drivetrain, because they have been working so hard to productise HzeroVer!

jameso

2019 will be all about different wheel sizes, I reckon 53″ up front and 18″ back.

Actually not far off how it may end up.

I think 2019 will be more like the 1960-70s.

ie, we’ll stop talking about rim size and start thinking about what really matters, outside diameter and volume, the rim will simply facilitate that.
    We already have 650B+ on the way at last. So now you can have different rims and air volumes across the full range of overall wheel ODs. Confusing but a good thing considering the range of use bikes get.

It’ll settle on a couple of common set ups though, with the understanding that with many bikes they can be swapped for greater volume / same OD or similar interchangeability if needed / if you CBA. 650B std rear, 26+ front? 29″ rear, 650B+ front? 650B+ F+R? 29″ F+R? etc. Not sure how 29+ fits in eventually, it’s nice enough but the OD is huge. fronts only perhaps.

But the wheel size bit I’m more interested in is how long it’ll take to get over 100mm front hubs for good.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheel size predictions for 2019 – what's yours?’ is closed to new replies.