Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wheel size for…
  • mjsmke

A unicycle!

I want to try to learn to ride one. Has anyone had any success? If so how long did it take and what wheel size is best? Most seem to be 20″ but some are 16″ or 24″.

slackalice
    Free Member

How’s your vertigo?

I’ve no other useful suggestions.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

36″, brings the trails alive, probably.

mjsmke

Im not the tallest at 5ft5 if that makes a difference.

everyone
    Free Member

I thought 36″ flattened the world out?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles/road/36-udc-unicycle.html 31.9″ inside leg for the minimum size, waltworks does some properly ‘gnarly’ tyres that are like a kenda neverolls but in 36″

Everyone – absolutely, why else would I want one?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Absolutely awful things. No fun at all, unless you want to look like and even bigger clown than a bicyclist.

CraigW
    Free Member

20″ or 24″ are standard for an adult learner. A smaller wheel is more maneuverable, ie easier to turn corners or for tricks. But the bigger one will roll easier, especially over rough ground.
    Check your inside leg measurement – either 20″ or 24″ should be fine, but you might need to cut down the seatpost.
    The basic models from here are pretty good for learning: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/

lee170
    Free Member

I learnt to ride one last year, 20 inch wheel Is for the beginner and it’s where I started. I rode it every day for about 1 hour and I was riding along unaided happily after a few weeks.
    If your committed you can do it in 1-2 weeks,
    Look on you tube for tips, I did and picked it up a lot quicker, great fun but you will get strange looks and pointed at like your a freak!
    You could look for a local club, that way you’ll learn quicker, there is a local club near me but I never went along.

Good luck and welcome to the circus

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wheel size for…’ is closed to new replies.