Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • wheel rebuild questions
  • iain1775
    Free Member

bent my front wheel at weekend so need to get it rebuilt with a new rim

Was Stans 355 on Hope Pro2 SP
    Im thinking of switching to a Stans Arch rim
    Will I (read – LBS) be able to reuse the existing spokes, they are all fine, none broken, wheel was only 4 rides old

Both the 355 and Arch have the same ERD – 540mm so Im guessing it should be okay to reuse

What if I got a Mavic XM819 UST rim instead? (I think the ERD is 534.5?)

What about nipples (exisiting are brass) could they be reused or are they best replaced?

I need this doing as cheap as poss, cant really afford the rebuild costs let alone the new rim

What is a typical price for rebuilding a wheel?

first shop I went to said £20 labour but would need new spokes and nipples, add that in with the rim cost (about £58) and Im better off getting a whole new front wheel (Hope Pro2 and 355 / Flow etc currently £88 at Winstanleys)

cynic-al
    Free Member

The mavic rim is 200gm heavier and a bit of a faff to build – not the best idea for a first timer.

Most shops will want to use new spokes as it's quicker.

Just give it a go – tape rims together, loosen all spokes 2 turns, then transfer them one by one. Then read one of the online guides to truing etc.

Old nipples fine.

speaker2animals

I would imagine that 1. a wheelbuilder wouldn't want the hassle of reusing spokes. It means having to take off all of the nipples off the spokes. I suspect that some of the spokes might well have been stretched or stressed and could fail further down the line, but "early". I know the feeling of not having the money, been in and out of work for last 2 years and currently out for last 9 months. I'm really worried about a major failure like this due to the cost of repair/replacement.

Why not go for one of these –

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=52&osCsid=0e99e65f271d888e634c8405b5f0dd5a. Use this and save up to get the Hope rebuilt. Or sell the Hope hub to offset some of the cost? Is anyone in classifieds selling wheels or eBay? My current finances are teaching me (very late in life) a lot about money, value etc.

Best of luck

iain1775
    Free Member

I dont have time, space, tools or patience to build myself at the moment unfortunately

iain1775
    Free Member

wheel is 9mm through axle, and tubeless
    I want to keep the flexability of the Hope Hub as next upgrade is some QR15 fork lowers, besides its brand new would seem a shame to loose money by selling it
    I can get a cheap wheel to tide me over from a mate (then I also need a QR skewer) but I really would like to replace what was on there with similar, a slightly different rim I can live with (hence thinking still keep it Stans) but a completely different wheel altogether I would rather avoid

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why not ask local shops what they would charge rather than ask us what they might charge?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

a wheelbuilder wouldn't want the hassle of reusing spokes. It means having to take off all of the nipples off the spokes

As I found out recently, that takes approximately 60-120 seconds with a cordless drill!

Disassemble yourself!

iain1775
    Free Member

cynic
    "first shop I went to said £20 labour "

so what do you think I have done!?!
    The other place charges per half hour and apparently cannot tell me how long it will take and therefore a price (which doesnt fill me with confidence – surely he has built wheels before so has a rough idea!)

Havent had time yet to trapse around the others as I am at work, whilst at work though I can get STW
    I just wondered if that was competitive?

Sorry if my question wasted your time but you didnt have to respond (especially as it was pointless and totaly unhelpful)

speaker2animals

I recently had a single spoke replaced twice in my rear wheel. One LBS, a big one, charged £20 and it took a week (due to their order book for workshop time). Another LBS charged me £6 and took less than 24hrs. They are a little out of the way and not as busy. So the problem is "how long is a piece of string?" I was gobsmacked at the £20 (I didn't ask beforehand, dummy!).

As Poddy says you could take the spokes out yourself. However if you came to my shop (if I had one) and asked me to rebuild a wheel when you have are supplying the hub and spokes, I suspect that I would be charging more for the labour.

I know it's not a popular idea on here but businesses need to make money to survive.

Looking back at your mail, go for the Winstanley wheel and flog your "old" hub. Seems to me to be the cheapest way to end up with a similar spec product that you are determined to go for. Hopefully you could get £30-£40 for the Hope Hub if it is so new.

cynic-al
    Free Member

whatever

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘wheel rebuild questions’ is closed to new replies.