Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheel building near Henley on Thames and 26" wheel dilema
  • bangaio
    Free Member

So I have a pait of Hope xc hubs on mavic rims XM321 and xc317. I have just got 15mm maxle forks so need a new front wheel but am thinking about getting different rims, possibly going tubeless.

I want to keep the XC hub at the back ideally as it’s fine so I am wondering if anyone knows a good wheel builder around Henley or the local area who could strip the rear hub, lace up a new rim – maybe Stans arch or Crest and then build a new front. Any ideas?

The alternative would be second hand as that would be similar in price to a new front but that feels a bit risky to me. Is this the case?

TiRed

AW Cycles in Caversham can build you a wheel

flip456
    Free Member

Home

I’d give Matt a shout, he’s built some great wheels for me in the past.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve used Cyclecare in High Wycombe in the past.

Cyclecare

You can also drop into Rebellion Beer (Marlow) on the way back..

bangaio
    Free Member

I had no idea cycle care were still up and running – I got my first “Proper bike” – a Marin Bear Valley from them back in 1991!

bangaio
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks, I will give them all a bell later.

jkomo

Can’t you get adapters for hope hubs for different axles?

renton
    Free Member

There is a chap in Benson village that runs a cycle business from his garage.

Built me a wheel recently and am very happy with it.

I can get details if required.

Andy

Try this guy. Recommended by Reading CTC crowd and others. I think he’s blind which is a good thing for wheel-building apparently!

Bike Repairs
    Contact Bob Bristow on 0118 958 2056 for cycle repairs at very reasonable prices. Wheel building a speciality

bangaio
    Free Member

Not for the XC hubs- they predate the adapters unfortunately. A blind wheel builder – I get how that could be beneficial.

Sundayjumper

Standard reply – have a go yourself. It’s very satisfying. And it’s not really that hard as long as you’re happy to put a few hours in the first time around.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building near Henley on Thames and 26" wheel dilema’ is closed to new replies.