Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • wheel building course
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Anyone know a good wheel building course somewhere I can do?

bobbyspangles

our courses.

hope this helps fella.

bongo136
    Free Member

Maybe you should give Roger’s wheelpro book a go. Supposed to be brilliant, and cheaper 🙄

willyboy
    Free Member

I bought this The art of wheel building – Gerd Schraner

I thought it was good value for money and would recommend it.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bottle of beer, laptop/google search and a chilled out evening. It really isn’t the dark art I thought it was.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Thanks for that, will try the book first.

RustyMac

I got the wheelpro book, and it is good for following through for building wheels. It dispells alot of myths. One of the other good things is he has a few online videos of stages that you can go and watch if you can’t quite get your head arround the pictures in the book.

£9 for the book IIRC then a sneaky print out at work on your lunch break, job done. Use the money you saved to get a better stand or if you have the toold biuld the stand in his book.

RustyMac

Here is a link to a thread i started a month or so back about stands as I didn’t have the tools to build the wheel pro one from the book.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/talk-to-me-about-wheel-truing-stands

If i hadn’t got such a good deal on the second hand park stand i would have gone for the Unior stand roots1 gave the link for in conjuntion with the alignment tools Roger makes in the book.

one_bad_mofo

I did the Bike Inn course many years ago and can’t recommend it enough.

The Bike Inn

Haze

Bottle of beer, laptop/google search and a chilled out evening. It really isn’t the dark art I thought it was

I followed Sheldon’s guide to build up an old rim on a new hub for the turbo trainer.

Worked well for me in as much as I’ve ridden down the street on it and it hasn’t collapsed.

Probably worth following it through before you go on a course, you can spend your time there fine tuning what you’ve already learnt.

nmdbase
    Free Member

£375+vat for a wheelbuilding course, are they on crack?

skaifan
    Free Member

Theres no need. Its not the black art people make it out to be. Get the Gerd Schraner book, and look for online tutorials. I only got shown how to do it once, and have built countless wheels since. Its a very forgiving process. If you go wrong, you can always start again.

messiah
    Free Member

Theres no need. Its not the black art people make it out to be.

Bottle of beer, laptop/google search and a chilled out evening. It really isn’t the dark art I thought it was.

+1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘wheel building course’ is closed to new replies.