Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • wheel advice please – stans 355s?
  • backhander
    Free Member

Hello, I'm currently using hope pro2s with DT 5.1s on the 5.5 and the PA and I want to try a lighter set of wheels as I don't think that I really need wheels this strong (but may be wrong!).
    The pro 2s with 355s are appropriately light but I'm just under 14st and couldn't really lose any weight off of myself!
    Will these be OK for me at Afan, Qs etc?

backhander
    Free Member
    radoggair
    Free Member

ride those beasts just now and TBH they've been excellent. Not even had any dings on the rims. Albeit i'm only 10.5 stone but i ride heavy ( i.e., i'll take the quickest line regardless of whats in the way)

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

I have had this wheelset on my HT since May.I weigh a tad under 14 stone (unlike you there is room to lose some weight off meself 😥 )Ive used them around the Peaks and did the Classic Weekender on them at Lee Quarry and theyre still true.Unlike my DT Swiss 420 rims on my Enduro (6" travel!) which have done similar work and have needed truing on several occasions.I got mine off Roger Musson and he said "no jumping" which is OK as I cant really get much air anyway. 😕

backhander
    Free Member

guys, that is brilliant thank you very much.
    How are you getting on with tubeless?
    If you get a puncture on the trail, is that you walking home?
    Is there any weight saving in tubeless?
    What's the lowest pressure you can sensibly run?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if you get a puncture, either top up the sealent and re-inflate, or stick a tube in.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

I dont run mine tubeless as I havent found any tyres that Im particularly happy with yet and if Im not mistaken I dont think you save that much weight going tubeless?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I've had the pro3 on 355 build (from wheelpro) and they've been excellent.. ran them at the peaks, afan, cwm carn and the mountain ash downhill.

dont think you save that much weight going tubeless?

The point of tubeless for me is lower pressures and no punctures

RealMan
    Free Member

Don't have any problems with my 355s on hope pro IIs, they're a brilliant wheel set. Love them.

Although I am 8.5 stone..

molgrips
    Free Member

355s are light but very strong. They are made differently to other rims, so each rim in their lineup is like 50g lighter than other rims for the same strength and usage.

It's what makes them so good! I'll never by another brand I don't think.. as long as I have the dosh 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

are the ust/lust tyres the best ones to get?
    Edit Realman, are you really 8.5 stone?

molgrips
    Free Member

Don't go for UST, it's very heavy. Stans tubeless is lovely, and what's more it works a treat on Stans own rims. I can pump up Racing Ralphs on ZTR Olympics with Stan's rim strip easily with just a track pump.

backhander
    Free Member

Thanks, do you use normal everyday tyres?
    could I use my nevegal/blue grooves? is that why stans is so good?

trickydisco
    Free Member

yep.. I've had success with schwalbe and kenda tyres

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, you can use those tyres, you'll add about 50g of sealant, but save 150g of tube off each wheel, so you'll be able to run lower pressures, gain some puncture resistance and save 200g off the wheels. Seems pretty sensible to me…

355s will be fine for someone of your 'stature', but I have to wonder why you can't lose any weight off your 14 stone though? Are you actually 7'19"?

backhander
    Free Member

Ha thanks njee20. I'm starting to understand the attraction to tubeless now. Are you able to reinflate with a mini pump or track pump if required? or do you need a compressor?
    I'm only 6ft but honestly couldn't lose much weight, I don't carry much fat. You wouldn't think I was that heavy to look at but there you go. according to the BMI, I'm significantly overweight but I can happily run 7min miles over distance which is OK I think.

njee20
    Free Member

It depends entirely on how you choose to run them tubeless and what tyre you run. If you use rim strips then they will likely inflate very easily, if you use yellow tape and separate valves it's a bit lighter, but harder to inflate.

I've never (touch wood) had a puncture where the tyre's seal on the rim has broken anyway, so you can just re-inflate easily with any pump. I've only had 4 punctures full stop in 7 years of running tubeless (2 years of UST, 5 of converted normal tyres) for that matter!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘wheel advice please – stans 355s?’ is closed to new replies.