Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheel advice 700c disk tourer
  • RichT

I have a frame on the way but have made a big mistake. I picked up some wheels second hand but the freehub is not 11 speed compatible and I have an 11 speed groupset. I have investigated and cannot change freehub. Wheels are novatec hubs on wtb rims with 17mm internal width. The cheapest solution seems to be to get a deore hub on a119 rim. Any other bargains about? I need 6 bolt hubs with qr rear (and 15mm front). Would consider wheelset or just rear. Thanks.

wzzzz
    Free Member

use an mtb 11 speed cassette? a touring bike will appreciate the extra range over road 11spd anyway.

RichT

Yes this is what I have bit hub will only take 9 or 10 speed

PJ266
    Free Member

wzzzz is right, you can generally use an MTB 11 speed cassette on a 10 speed hub.

The larger sprockets will clear the spokes then. The issue with fitting an 11 speed road cassette is that the smaller sprockets foul the spokes.

RichT

I’ve tried it. Cassette is too wide and presses on the hub body so won’t freewheel.

Daffy

9, 10 and 11sp MTB cassettes and hubs are the same width. it’s only 11 speed road cassettes which are slightly (1.2mm?) wider and thus require a different hub. Is there a small spacer you should be removing from the hub?

Daffy

What’s the hub on the wheelset you bought?

schmiken

Got access to a milling machine?

PJ266
    Free Member

I’ve tried it. Cassette is too wide and presses on the hub body so won’t freewheel.

Ah shame. Hope you get it sorted.

RichT

It was weird as I tightened the lockring it got tight. So I tried with a 1mm spacer behind and it seems fine! Thanks for the help and sorry for being a hamfisted home mechanic.

PJ266
    Free Member

8) A happy result.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wheel advice 700c disk tourer’ is closed to new replies.