Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheel advice 29er Hardtail
  • cuda17
    Free Member

I currently ride a Focus Black Forrest 3.0 29er and would describe my current riding as single track and rock gardens with ever so slowly increasing “drops” (we’re talking more inches than feet!) and slowly building my confidence.
    So the other night I attempted a bit of a red route at my local trail and all was going well until my front wheel decided to give up and buckle sending me into an embankment. Looking to replace said wheel and came across 3 alternatives.
    I’ve narrowed it down to
    – Mavic Crossride
    – Hope Tech Enduro
    – Hope Tech XC

Unfortunately my budget isn’t great say £100-£150 max but want the best “bang for my buck”. Having read reviews on each I’m leaning towards the Enduro as I’m not the most graceful of riders so I’m thinking a strong wheel would help as my skills improve. However I can get the XC (in Straight Pull version) for about £40 cheaper than the enduro which has obviously turn my head!

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Cheers

strangey13
    Free Member

I ran the Tech Enduro’s on a 140 travel hardtail before swapping them to a cx basher and they’ve been spot on. High Rollers and Wtb’s were a good size on them and they’ve stayed nice and straight after some not so subtle riding.

cuda17
    Free Member

Cheers for that I was worried about the weight for going up hill over the XC version but I do ride like a bulldozer!!

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Have a think about going to see your local wheel builder rather than mail ordering some factory wheels. You could get a new rim and spokes and build for a good bit less.

Tracey

Dont rule out the Merlin deal on Alex Voltars, Choosen wheels. Do a serch on here for them. You cant go far wrong for the money. Lightish, wide, strong and dont break the bank.

cuda17
    Free Member

I did have a look at the superstar ds25’s on their own hubs for £97 and contacted Strada(?) wheels too but they were just out of budget. Heard nothing but good things bout hope hubs tho

cuda17
    Free Member

Just read the reviews on the merlin/chosen hub/Alex rims and I am massively impressed so much so that you may have convinced me to let go of my Hope and dreams of a hope wheel!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheel advice 29er Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.