Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wheel advice
  • crispo
    Free Member

Ive got a 2010 stump jumper far comp and currently running the standard wheels on it (dt Swiss x420sl rims with bog standard shimano hub) and the rear wheel is reaching the end of it’s life. Hub is shot, rim slightly bent so not coming true and spokes forever breaking.

So I’m looking to change it, was looking at hope pro 2 with xm719 rim. Have considered xc717 rim but if I’ve nacked the old rim I’m slightly worried I would with the xc717. So here are the questions, anybody gone from the spesh wheels to hope/mavics and what’s the verdict? Weight noticeable of the 719 compared to current wheel compared to 717? Also only really got the budget to change the rear wheel, if the front one is fine at the moment should I leave it or should I go for a cheaper set (xt hub/mavic) and change the pair.

Any input appreciated as ever!

Thanks

nicko74

Chances are the wheel can be fixed, y’know. Shimano hubs are generally pretty good for being able to strip and refit them, and the rim could probably be trued if necessary. IMHO it sounds like perhaps the wheel wasn’t built amazingly well, unless you’re hucking it – you should easily see a couple of years out of a wheel with minimal maintenance, and spokes shouldn’t be breaking willy nilly.

However, if you do fancy a change (and why not!), you could do a lot worse than a Pro 2 on something. XM719 should be good, as long as the wheel’s been built up properly. The weight difference of the 719 isn’t huge over the 717, but the extra strength – and width for the tyre – will help. And they do pop up on the classifieds fairly frequently, so if you got a black Pro 2/ xm719 combo you could probably get a matching one for the front at a later date if you want.

Doh – it’s probably pertinent to ask what kind of riding you’re doing…

crispo
    Free Member

I had it rebuilt 2 months ago and it’s already gone to pot! Riding is all sorts really, from 2-3 hour xc rides around west pennine moors through to the odd bit of blasting around trail centres, a few drops etc. (nothing overly gnarly) hoping to take it out to the alps at some point too.
    Think the xm719 would be good then if the weight difference isn’t noticable! Cheers

flyingfox
    Free Member

I’ve had the same thing – couldn’t save Shimano hubs so have used Hope on 819s (great running tubeless and extra width is good for tyres over 2.1″). Look at American Classic hubs too!

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had Pro II and XM719 for two years excellent wheels, even had a trip to the Alps stayed perfectly true, even after some hairy bad choices of lines in Morzine.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Running hope and x819 on an fsr as well, totally bullet proof. Also have a set of crests, but still haven’t been able to relax enough and trust they wont explode they are that light !

hh45
    Free Member

Running hope and x819 on an fsr as well, totally bullet proof. Also have a set of crests, but still haven’t been able to relax enough and trust they wont explode they are that light !

My Hope XC and 819s are still fine after 5 years with fairly regular use. V good with UST tyres but slightly heavy.

I also have some Crests on Pro IIs and they are fine after one year that includes Afan, Dales, Brecons, Quantocks, Dartmoor, Moab and Fruita. I am under 70 kg and dont get properly airborne so that may be an issue in my favour.

crispo
    Free Member

Cheers for the input guys…….mind made up, its click click click all the way from here!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wheel advice’ is closed to new replies.