Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Wheat beers.
  • zippykona

Always loved Leffe but thought I would see what else was out there.
    This is totally different to the really full flavour of Leffe. Extremely drinkable and served with a slice of orange.

Feel free to recommend others I should try.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Franziskaner is good and Pauliner if you can get it. Just steer clear of Hoegaarden. Its dishwater.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Feel free to recommend others I should try.

One that isn’t Coors masquerading as “craft beer” would be a good start!

I’d agree that German weisse beer is a very good place to start. Schofferhofer is one of my faves, and their dunkelweisse (dark wheat beer) is lovely too.

TheFlyingOx

I’m partial to a bottle or two of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier, but it’s a bit exotic for East Fife so I very rarely see it on sale 🙁

EDIT: I should add that exotic for East Fife doesn’t mean I’m trying to show off by claiming to have tasted some uber-niche low volume hipster beer. Stella Artois is exotic for East Fife.

andytherocketeer

Paulaner and Franziskaner, oh and Erdinger, and Schneiderweisse are the German ones you’ll see all over the place.
    +1 on Schoefferhofer.

Belgian and Dutch ones are a bit different.

I like them, but others loathe them. Lots of banana and cinnamon flavours and aftertastes.

Hoegaarden is naff. But cinnamonny iirc. Not tried that Belgian one.

willard

The Belgian ones tend to be more fruity in my experience, so well worth a try. I’m biased (having spent six months living in Franconia), but I find both sorts delightful if served cold enough.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

toffee & vanilla, really smooth, very little hoppy bitterness

delicate & floral, lovely

singletrackmind

eh??

zippykona

Apparently Blanche de Namur is wheat beer of the year.
    Tried it and was totally underwhelmed.

ocrider

Not much wheat in either of them

I’m not a huge fan of the belgian obsession of loading beer with coriander and other spices and I’ll pass on the stuff with a slice of lemon floating on top.

Gutmann and Kuchlbauer are both fantastic, but probably difficult to get hold of outside of Germany. Schneiderweisser is pretty good and more readily available.

According to my Bavarian mate, one should not be seen drinking kristall in the company of other men… 🙄

Basil

Sam Smiths Wheat beer is excellent

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Avoid Kronenberg at all costs. Hopefully it was a shortlisted mistake.

erdinger is a classic though personally I don’t mind Hoegarden – probably as it was hot me into wheat beer in the first place. It was the first easily available in the Uk

lemonysam
    Free Member

stuartie_c
    Free Member

My German pal, Till, bought me some of this stuff as a leaving present. He’s from Freiburg and it’s his local drop. Very delicious, as is their Pils.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Actually I’ve changed my mind:

the middle one, obviously but that lager’s one of the finest beers I’ve ever drunk.

domwells27
    Free Member

Fordham – Wisteria Wheat
    Bristol Beer Factory – Heffe
    La Trappe – Witte Trappist
    Camden – Gentleman’s Wit
    Schneider Weisse – Original
    Franziskaner – Dunkelweizen

All good wheatbeers IMO, across a few different styles.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Fraziskaner or Edelweiss. Former is easy enough to find in UK.

househusband

…but it’s a bit exotic for East Fife…

St Andrews Brewery Pub in St Andrews has a good selection, including the odd weissbier or two?

I now know the Eden Brewery staff pretty much by name now… I like to support local trade and commerce. Whereabouts in East Fife are you..? Not exactly a big place; I’m between St Andrews and Cupar.

TheFlyingOx

between St Andrews and Cupar.

Me too. I’m in Strathkinness.

Been to the St A Brewery Pub a couple of times. Fine selection, but they were more geared towards super-strength Belgian monastery type beers. I guess it’s just what’s in at the time. I tend to drink mostly the Strath Tav for their excellent food and booze selection, and because I can walk stagger home without too much trouble. Need to persuade them to get in some wheat beer though.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m a fan
    I like them all, but a particular favourite is probably Weihenstephaner (their Dunkel specifically). Schneider Weisse Tap7 Original is also a preferred choice. Of the ‘crafty’ things popular now, I liked Sierra Nevada Kellerweis when I found a cheap case price once.

Paulaner I found a bit lighter/weaker than the others, so if you ever buy a selection to drink together, I’d probably recommend drinking the Paulaner first, otherwise it might taste a bit underwhelming after some of the others.

Franziskaner I find a bit too sweet, still love it, but would struggle with a session on it.

I would recommend trying Schneider Weisse stronger TAP5 Meine Hopfenweisse and
    TAP6 Unser Aventinus. Both are on James Clay range who supply most of the beers on this thread to many off licences.

The only one I can think of that I don’t much care for is the Blue Moon, a bit over zesty for my liking, I wouldn’t refuse it tho, wasn’t that unpalatable.

Lester
    Free Member

Paulaner
    Erdinger
    Leffe
    All in the fridge 🙂
    Paulaner is my favorite and can be bought in majestic wines and also in the old cross tavern Hertford

colournoise

Erdinger is by far my favorite of the easily available what beers. Got one on the go now as it happens.

Oakham Ales White Dwarf is a good local alternative in a different style, but probably not available outside the East Midlands.

rewski
    Free Member

London field 3 Weiss monkeys is a nice drop,

matydubz
    Free Member

Try and get hold of Schneider Weisse or paulaner. I think Aldi or Lidl do a decent wheat beer which is a bargain.

welshfarmer

Not yet found a wheat beer in Aldi or Lidl (other than very occasional specials). Fransikaner currently 3 for £5 in Asda. Living with a Bavarian the house is ussually full of Weissbier of some sort or the other, bloss keine Belgische….

A young lad up the road has a micro-brewery and makes a very decent Belgian-type wheat beer.

http://jonesthebrewer.co.uk/Beers

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Not much wheat in either of them

Oops…I though the title was ‘what beers’ 😀

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m from Balmullo…

Franzikaner is my go to since it’s in the supermarkets.
    Erdinger is good and available in quite a few pubs.

Had a weird Japanese one last night though can’t remember the name. Was very good but pretty pricey

edhornby

I think Aldi or Lidl do a decent wheat beer which is a bargain.

Aldi are doing Schoffenhofer for 1.25 a bottle, it’s really good !

flashy is now conflicted cos he has to lower himself to go into aldi to get his favourite beer and share it with the unwashed masses

WackoAK
    Free Member

If you can find this then grab it, quite a few really good Japanese wheat beers out there.

toby1

Does anyone else love wheat beer but find it goes straight through you?

richmtb

I love wheat beer.

Franziskaner and Erdinger are quite easy to find in larger supermarkets. Of the two I prefer Franziskaner.

Co-Op do their own wheat beer which is also excellent.

Weihenstephaner, Paulaner and Schneider Weisse are also great but a bit harder to find.

I sometimes make my own too!

I’ve not met a wheat beer yet I don’t like though.

willard

Don’t Adnams do one now?

Just had a look and it appears that Spindrift is the wheaty one: http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/adnams-spindrift/

I’ve had it and it’s nice, just not as full on as the more Germanic ones.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Blue Moon – Shudders. I like a wheat beer but that American pish really doesn’t do it for me. American has a fine beer industry but they can’t do Belgian style beers all that well imo.

Aikmans in St Andrews usually has a good selection of German wheat beers either on top or in the fridge, the brew pub is more geared towards IPA and porters.

welshfarmer

American beer is like having sex in a canoe

It’s f**king close to water

WildHunter2009

I do love wheat beer but dear god does it disagree with me the morning after. Feral white out here is pretty good and also Little Creatures do a White and Dark Rabbit thats not half bad.

The Fransiskaner Weiss beers are bloody tasty as well, though not all that cheap out here sadly.

Any of the oz contingent recommend any good wheat beers?

noltae
    Free Member

A nice cold draught wheat beer is nice – but steer clear of a skin full – it’ll take your head off !

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, probably the finest wheat beer I’ve ever had was a pitcher of Mothership Wit (New Belgium Brewery) in a pizza restaurant in Crested Butte after a day on the bike. Organic and sadly no longer made. Tasted amazing and didn’t have any ill effects. Some of the local American micro brewed stuff is amazing.

Back in the real world though I lament Oddbins stopping stocking Schnieder 10-15 years back. Probably my favourite. I had some Erdinger Urwiesse which I like (pricey though, £3 a pop. Fortunately my nearest known source is 150 miles away in Glasgow…), their Dunkel is not bad (and available in my local Tesco, yay).

Generally, I’m a fan of anything German/Central European….

oldgit
    Free Member

I think Hoegaarden is alright, If I’m having a drink after a ride that’s what I’ll have.
    Cuuvee Des Trolls is my favourite.

I don’t know most of the beers everyone is going on about, and ironically we have a pub with 50 belgians beers as our cycle club sponsor.

altgreen
    Free Member

Get down to Steins in Kingston. They have some good Weiss beers. Authentic currywurst too.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Wheat beers.’ is closed to new replies.