• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whats your take on the SRAM X0 Twist Grips?
  • Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I'm interested in the SRAM X0 Twist Grips and wondered what they are like to use from day to day by those of you that have/had them?

The reviews seem very positive, but it'd be nice to get some real feedback 😀

Also what grips do you recommend with them? I like the look of the Lizard Skin Lock Ons but I've heard that they don't match the size of the Twist Grips?

Cheers 😀

giantjason
    Free Member

i switched to twist grip on my FS bike and am now a convert. great for dumping a load of gears on the rear and trimming the front mech.

also just switched over form an alfine (trigger) to a rohloff (grip shift) and much prefer the grip shift for changing lots of gears in one twist.

some people complain that due to the setup on the handlebars they find it difficult to change gears and keep hold of their grip at the same time e.g you can keep a good grip whilst only using your thumbs to change on triggers. Cant say i have experienced this.

on my FS i have the short lizard skins lock on. They arent the same size as the twist grips and its not ideal having the steel lock on adjacent to the twist grip. because of this on my rohloff i just cut down some normal size ODI lock on's which operate just as good if not better.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I find the simplicity of them great,theres less to damage in a crash,and swapping cables is quick too,In winter you can use thicker gloves and as the above post says it means trimming the front mech is possible unlike the more common push shifters.

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks giantjason, thats good to hear, your experience seems to echo every review I've read, so it looks like a winner so far 😀

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks also GaVgAs, Yes = 2, No = 0 😆

-m-
    Free Member

I've been using various iterations of Gripshift since my first pair of SRT-500s many moons ago (15 years?). They have improved with pretty much every iteration and my current X.0's have been going strong for several years.

They seem to be a love-hate thing, but I've always thought they were a nifty solution for all the reasons mentioned above.

Edited to add: I've been using use the Yeti lock-on Gripshift grips as my preference for some time.

dobo
    Free Member

i've used x0 shift for the front and xtr for the rear shifting on a single and double ring setup and this is my preference. xtr is better on 9 speed imo and x0 for the front
    used with foam grips cut to size

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've always stayed away from gripshift, thinking it looked pretty unstable to use in anger (monkeying around with your grip and wrist angle when riding) but I've just put a rear on my 1×9 and its great! I can't see me going back to triggers.

schmiken

I love em, plus the fact they're lighter than the equivalent trigger shifter means no going back! ESI Chunkys for grips 🙂

stoney
    Free Member

I also ride them…… (i ride with Gavgas on Tuesdays….) I have been using them for years and find them very good. I have never had a mis-shift and as for compatible grips….. I have a set of 90mm grips on. I think they are ODI (but it is worth checking).

Go on… you know you want to…. 😉

forgotmename
    Free Member

I think they are great too, hardly any moving parts, the shimano compatable version is great also.

scaredypants

I am considerubbly nicher than yow – I have one on the left but a trigger on the right 🙄

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, sounds like its a plan then.

Thanks for the piccy stoney 😀

Is 90mm about the right length for these gripshifts, normals about 135mm IIRC?

0091paddy
    Free Member

Get them, better than ANY other shifters.

I use a gripshift as it's the only option with a Rohloff.
    I find 90mm short grips too short, but the bars aren't long enough for 130mm standard grip + brake lever + gripshift + bar end.
    If you use a lock on grip that only locks at one end, I'm using DMR on one bike and Cane Creek on another, you can cut it down to 110mm or so as a compromise.

surfer
    Free Member

They are excellent. Bought a set for Surfer junior and ended up getting a set for my On One. They are great.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They are ace, I went back to them after using XTR triggers on a couple of bikes then X0 triggers on another. They're now on all my bikes.

You can get a set converted for 10 speed also if that's your thing as they only come stock in 9 speed guise.

Only "downside" is that in extreme mud they can sometimes get a little tricky to get a grip on to shift, but certainly not impossible to do.

I use cut down foam grips and I'm planning on a go with the ESI ones next time.

cann68
    Free Member

I had a dabble with them a couple of years back, used the XO shorties, i did like the way you could go through all the gears in a flash, but, had a habit of accidentally changing gears through fast gnarly terrain and as someone has already stated, they are tough to get a grip on in sloppy mud conditions.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Same as -m- tried triggers SRAM and Shimano, but always returned to gripshift. I use cut down ODI's, they work just fine.

jedi

I use long lock ons with gripshift now as I change gear in the air otherwise when styling it 🙂

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have my set of X0 gripshifts coming from CRC tomorrow.

I take it that the shifters will be fine with a Shimano XT front mech, no different than a normal setup?

shortcut

I use them and like them. Been running one set for about 7 years before windows fell out. Still running.

I run with odi gripshift lock ons either rogues or yeti.

Don’t want anything else. Concerned about 10 speed gripshift availability long term.

dobo
    Free Member

I take it that the shifters will be fine with a Shimano XT front mech, no different than a normal setup?

xo grips shift will work just fine with a shimano front mech, they will not work with a shimano rear mech, you need a sram mech for rear

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whats your take on the SRAM X0 Twist Grips?’ is closed to new replies.