Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • What's your first name, do you like it and would you change it?
  • clubber
    Free Member

verses

My wife and her family know me as Bill too.

That’s a bit rotten, surely your own wife should call you Bill One…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’m an Andy. Andrew is my full name, which hardly anyone but my parents use (my Mum calling me Andy just sounds weird, but she has taken it up for some reason).

Perfectly happy with it, though I hate ‘drew’. Ugh.

Oddly, until I got to sixth form I didn’t know any other Andrew or Andy, now they’re **** everywhere! 😡

I was almost an Edward – I like the name, but I’m just not an ‘Ed’. Lucky escape …

RealMan
    Free Member

George.

Got a fair amount of georgy porgy in school, but never bothered me. I don’t dislike it (I wouldn’t change it), but I’m not madly in love with it either. Was quite a common name from primary to college as well, only now that I’m at uni do I barely know anyone else with the same name.

If only I could say my last name was Atherton..

Haze

Daren, yes and no.

Even though my awkward parents had to make things difficult with the spelling.

Whydot

Tobias….

Known since I was born as Toby though. If my Dad had got his way, I’d be Boris. A relatively lucky escape I think.

Quite unusual, and combined with my surname, is pretty unique I think.

Hated it for years, and certainly wouldn’t name any offspring anything as obvious. Quite nice now I’m a bit older though.

flip
    Free Member

I was actually Philip for a couple of hours, but they changed their mind.

I’ve been Philip for 42 yrs, it’s ok cus it’s ‘Royal’

My sons called Drew which i like a lot.

cinnamon_girl

emsz – Amelia is a delightful name and you really should insist that everyone uses it!

Elaine and I’m OK with it. 🙂

woody2000

Jason, perfectly happy with it. Though it sounds a bit odd when my 2.5yr old says it 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Never really given this any thought as I’ve always been called Woody but more recently I’ve been getting ‘G’ or Gray. It’s still Graeme according to my Mum and at work.

I’m obviously not bothered what people call me.

vinnyeh

Vincent. variously known as Vince or Vinny depending on the decade.

I like it a lot now, but when a school kid you just want the commonest low profile name.

When I first immigrated to this part of the world at the start of the 90’s I lived in N. Ireland- my (fellow Kiwi) girlfriend’s father was originally from there, and deeply suspicious of, and at times ill behaved to me because I had a Catholic name. We had quite a few comments from the locals, with us living in the Protestant end of town in the old family home, me with my Catholic forename, her with a well known Protestant surname,.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im terry

At work im young tel ( we already had an old tel)

Never met another in my home town ever

Old tel employed me at my work as my name was tel – that was the distinguising feature haha

emsz
    Free Member

Thanks CG Dolcered, 😳 It’s weird, now people comment how nice it is, when I’m used to just being laughed at by other kids.

Don, I’m pretty certain I’d have remembered!!

LOL

emma82
    Free Member

Give you one guess what my name is 😀

I like it.

Emsz – Amelia is a lovely name <makes mental note that Amelia is a nice name for potential future female sprogs>

flowerpower
    Free Member

Johanna… quite like it now, its just a bit different, but as a kid I was for ever saying ‘with an ‘h’ in the middle’…

Have been Jo to my friends for as long as I can remember (and hence often Josephine when I’m in trouble – but I can live with that 🙂 )

crankboy
    Free Member

I value the anonymity of the Internet my first name is sufficiently original to identify me. i have only once met someone who shares it .

while i love the name it does mean people remember it and you can never get away with anything at school.

mind you my mum was also one of the teachers and in a bid to avoid favoritism if any one did anything wrong i was always punished as well .

while it used to cause comment i’ve never had a negative experience probably as it does not stand out as a posh name (being posh was the ultimate sin at Ossett comp)

grantway
    Free Member

Grant. Never liked it really until later in life
    Was a bit weird every man on our council estate was a Gary, David, Stuart etc

Eventually I started to like it but 5 years back become a little common.
    Must ask where my parents found the name.

flip
    Free Member

I value the anonymity of the Internet my first name is sufficiently original to identify me. i have only once met someone who shares it .

Hmm very mysterious, are you a spy?

metalheart
    Free Member

Neill. Two L’s (thanks to my paw). Was almost Keith or Euan
    Used to get called Nelly, Feal Neill, Neilly Peely, Squeally, etc., ad nauseum at school and that. Kids will twist anything I guess.
    It’s my name. Like my face, why change it? it’s who I am.
    I have no issues with it.

grantway
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    I shortened my full name to just the name everyone called me by, and me surname, by Deed Poll a few years ago. I just don’t see the point in having more than one name; no-one ever uses the others so what’s the point? Caused a lot of confusion when doing official forms and stuff, just unnecessary.

Plus my original first name, being an Islamic one, was a bit of a mouthful for ignorant Western Infidels, so weren’t even worth trying to get them to use it.

Coon’t be happier with my name tbh. Love it. Probbly one of the only good choices my old man ever made about my life…

[So Is this give us a clue time ?]

donsimon
    Free Member

Don, I’m pretty certain I’d have remembered!!

LOL
    That’s a relief, well not a relief like that, but a relief that I don’t have to carry the blame for anything.

Edric64
    Free Member

Mines Edric and I really like having an unusual name.although there is a Wild Edric Sportif in Shropshire.

downshep

My mother wanted to call me Julian as I was due in early July. Can you imagine growing up in the scabby end of Paisley with a name like that? Needless to say I arrived a week early towards the end of June (I must have heard her discussing it). I was given a more normal name and spared a lifetime of ridicule and bullying.

donsimon
    Free Member

A bloke called June in Paisley.

Dickyboy

We decided to keep it simple & opted not to give our son a middle name after friends christened their kids Misty Sula Warhol & Sebastian Winston Berlin 8O. My son now gets the piss ripped out of him because his mates think he must have such a horrendous middle name that he doesn’t let on what it is!

Oh yes & very few people call me Richard…

wingnuts

Mine is Tim, although I was christened Timothy! my parents even when angry with me (hard to believe I know) never me by the full name. they told me it was because they were intimidated by the official who filled out the birth certificate into having the full version. Happy with Tim though!

Earlier mention of pretentious names reminds me of what my daughter said when she saw the names of a couple of brothers I know. One is called Marc, yes spelt with a c, and the other is Tarquin. They have a double barrelled surname and she commented that they were never going to be poor with names like that. How right she is.

Northwind

Mine is Andrew. Which is a good solid name, the only downside is that in the year I was born about 90% of all the boys in Scotland were named Andrew, and also about 10% of the girls.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My middle names are Luke Christian, playground hell, but close fiends get to call me MC.

RealMan
    Free Member

One is called Marc, yes spelt with a c,

Nothing wrong with that IMO, apart from looking a little French. Wouldn’t call it pretentious.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Julian – Never really caused any problems but most people call me Jools.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Try being called Shameer to make you feel odd from an early age. Took a little while to get that giftshops didn’t stock pens and pencil with my name on 🙁

I have to re-iterate my name a few times and spell it frequently. The common misinterpretations are: Samir, Shamir, Shameel, Shamar, Shareem & Shammer FFS! I also have my name changed to lots of things by mates; Shamalam, Shambo, Sham 69, Shamrock, Shabba, Shabbadelic, Shabbs, Shammy K etc.

I feel like I’m a bit odd anyway, having a name from Guyana doesn’t help. Then there’s where are you from…(1/2 Guyanese, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Indian) so it’s a whole schpiele.

I’m frustrated by the delay it causes when meeting people. The handshake often lasts too long. As a name it’s ok, it’s just the cultural context which is a pain 😕

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation, Dylan gets spelt Dillon, Dylon, Dillian, Delan, Delam, Dilam, Donald(!), etc…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps everyone spells Allen correctly due to the key?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

i have changed my whole name, to a girls one.. 🙂

uwe-r
    Free Member

McLovin, I like it.

clubber
    Free Member

McLovin. 😉

I know someone called Allen…

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have a tool called Allen!

allthegear
    Free Member

Rachel

Yes, I like it but then I would – I chose it!! (and yes, it’s the one on my passport, etc)

clubber
    Free Member

allthegear
    Free Member

err…. 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘What's your first name, do you like it and would you change it?’ is closed to new replies.