Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's your favourite grease?
  • IA

My years old tube of park polylube is nearing its end…what should I buy to replace it?

I have bearing grease (for bearings). This is just for generally assembling bits, on threads, in headsets etc.

Recommend me something, and tell me why!

I anticipate a thrilling thread! 😉

aphex_2k
    Free Member

The first one with Olivia Newton John. It’s super!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Beaten to it 👿
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbYx6hevoQ[/video]

eyerideit
    Free Member

Not in to that camp singy-songy grease.

Here’s my favourite grease(rs)

Remember to stay golden Pony boy

IA

*sigh*

I should’ve anticipated this response 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

I prefer to have my palms greased…

IA

Any other “grease/greased” alternative meaning to explore before we get to lubricants?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Ok here’s my response:

I use:

Tacx carbon paste, Comma copper ease and ‘general’ grease both from a local car shop.

Why because they’re huge tubs that will be handed down the generations no doubt. Each cost about £6.

You can also get a lithium grease as well, if you like the fancy white stuff on your bearings.

brakes
    Free Member

[grease nostalgia] Black Gold from the 90s – awesome stuff and seemingly never runs out, although I did run out in the mid 00s[/grease nostalgia]

I used to think Shimano grease had the best smell, but the smell seems to have gone. You can buy it, but only in massive tubs.

I use lithium grease on everything. Not sure whether I should but it works.

unklehomered
    Free Member

FinishLine Teflon grease, it fits my grease gun.

Markie
    Free Member

Mobilgrease XHP 222.

freeagent
    Free Member

JCB Blue lithium waterproof grease.
    Was the only thing that kept my Landrover wheel bearings alive when I did a lot of off-roading.

For bike stuff I use the cheap and cheerful Comma stuff in the tub in eyerideit’s post.
    One tub lasts for ages.
    I also have a tub of Comma copper grease for anti sieze applications.

There is a lot of bullsh*t spoken about grease and lubricants.. for 99% of bike applications, cheap and chearful automotive grease works just fine…
    However I’m an Engineer, who does a lot of work with mechancial lubrication (on Navy ships and Submarines) – I’m sure the Park Tools salesman knows better.

sv

Silkolene RG2 for bearings mostly – copper, Li and Red Rubber for some more specific applications 😉

jwt
    Free Member

Castrol LM mainly.
    Reasons as above.

unovolo
    Free Member

Duck grease, not as long lasting as the above mentioned but tastes much better.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite grease?’ is closed to new replies.