Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What’s your favorite era and location to have lived in?
  • SST
    Free Member

you’d be middle class/well-off tradesman (person), so if you choose “Rome – 10AD” for instance you couldn’t be a slave or an emporer. Also bear in mind “Wars” so if you say USA 1965 for the music you’d also have Vietnam to consider.

So where and when would you have liked to have lived?

samuri
    Free Member

1950’s europe, probably France. The world was recovering from a world war and moral would have been high. Everyone was starting to dress SHARP, the ladies were wearing fantastic dresses with plenty of silk underneath and the cycling scene was really starting to warm up.

alpin
    Free Member

south-west corner or extreme south-east corner of australia away from the big towns. both hve amazing landscape and some of the worlds largest trees. the south-east has mountains too. now.

Joxster
    Free Member

In fantasy – Muromachi Period (1333 – 1573) in Japan as a Samurai

In reallity – It was the 80’s living in France and getting paid to ride my bike with some of the best cyclists in the world.

willard

A tricky one…

Maybe the 1920s, it sounds like an interesting period of time to got through, although the Victorian period also holds a lot of attraction for a “middles class/Professional” person.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

3012!

Mountain bikes can fly by then, but people are still arguing about Superstar brake pads!

konabunny
    Free Member

Now is good. =:)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Definitely Western Europe around 200 AD.

The Romans had instilled a bit of order and discipline into the civilised world. Plus the Roman salute was cool. Does that make me a fascist ? 😕

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

right here right now!

kimbers

on a GSV in Iain M Banks Culture

or maybe 25th century on Yellowstone around Epsilon Eridanai during the belle epoch, well before the melding plague!
    alistair reynolds styleee

mogrim

Bloody SF geeks 🙄

Stuart London, lots going on, science starting, coffee shops opening up, exciting diseases…

donald
    Free Member

I suspect that in 100 years time our grandchildren will look back at here and now and think that this is as good as it ever got.

donald
    Free Member

removes double post

slinks off for lunch

avdave2

I think my parents generation, born just before and during WWII have had a pretty good run. They have lived during a period of generally increasing wealth, left school when you really could decide what you wanted to be, saw great cultural changes through the late 50’s and 60,s and are witnessing the huge changes brought about by IT developments, retired with final salary pension schemes and are growing old when medicine and medical care have made great advances since their birth, and before the NHS completely collapses under the weight of self inflicted illness.

I recently listened to a man describe how he had watched the moon landings with his grandmother who as a small child had survived an attack by native American Indians which had killed many of her family. That would have been an interesting life history.

For me it probably has to be ancient Rome, which I attribute to the wonderful writing of Robert Graves.

nickc

Western Europe about 1850.

thomthumb
    Free Member

always fancied being a viking.

bassspine
    Free Member

+1 Culture

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

always fancied being a viking.

Never thought of that.

Can I change ?

chewkw
    Free Member

450BC near Northern India and perhaps foothill of Nepal.

🙂

ton

25 yrs ago, wakefield west yorkshire.
    when i was a innocent. 8)

donald
    Free Member

Changed my mind.

Palestine. AD 30.

Can I take a camera?

willard

No you can’t, but you are allowed to write a book about it.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the problem that everyone seems to over look is that it may well be cool and dandy to go back to a more simpler time, but where’s the toys?

for instance california in 30’s, from a surfing viewpoint, is paradise. virtually zero coastal development and endless empty world class points – but would it be as good if i suddenly had to ride a 15ft 100lb solid redwood finless board and not my 7ft linden quad?

RepacK
    Free Member

Swinging 60’s London – The Who, Rollings Stones, Pink Floyd lots of sex & drugs, smoking was still good for you, less cops, no speed cameras, the countryside was still green, the Middle East & terrorism had yet to really rear its ugly head, still great things to come like Led Zep & later The Clash..and then oh sh1t Maggie & the 80’s doh!

Failing that +1 for a viking? All that ale plus a bit of rape & pillage? cant be bad.. 😈

mattsccm
    Free Member

All those places ending with ‘stan before WW2. Go and read either Shipton or Tilman (my hero)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What’s your favorite era and location to have lived in?’ is closed to new replies.