Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • What’s your boozing like?
  • colnagokid

Phew! pleased I didnt get the bottle of wine I was going to get last night (see above), so just had 8 cans of 1664.

skiprat
    Free Member

When getting divorced i drank!!! Loads!!
    Out at 6pm on friday, no tea, 1st pub 3pints, next pub, 3 pints, next pub, 3 pints, about 8-8.30 be in my local and then stay there til 2-3 next morning!! If we went off Carling or Bud (on tap) we’d have a few alcopops and then go back on it again later. Easy 20+ pints.

Feel like crap next morning, Macs for breakfast and do the same on Sunday and again maybe midweek.

Woke up one morning, doing the dog his breakfast, and threw up blood. Hospital for a bit and that was enough for me. Drink very little now and feel well for it.

Now, Still have a few drinks at BBQ’s or parties but if we’re out for a meal, i’ll drive and let the soon to Mrs Skip have a drink.

nickc

2-3 cans a night usually, but mainly 4% stuff. If in pub, then 3-4 pints. So probbly around 15-20 pints a week, or thereabouts. Too much really. But I’m still pretty fit and healthy, so I’m not too worried.

So at a couple of units a pint, on a heavy week that 40 units, and you think you’re fit and healthy? You may not have a gut now…

maxray
    Free Member

I think the op was asking what YOUR boozing was like not asking you to pass judgement nickc. 🙂

domino

I am definately a binge drinker, nothing for weeks and then, like last weekend – gin and tonic x 4, glass of cocktail x 2, glass of wine x 2 large ones, champagne x 1, sambuca 2 I think. Waaaaayyy too much and I spent all of Saturday vomiting and getting dehydrated and Sunday feeling like crap. I was at a wedding, hence the sheer quantity and variation throughout the day.

I don’t drink much at home, the odd glass of wine or gin and tonic if I am in on a Friday/Saturday but generally I am not bothered until it comes to a big night out, and then I don’t seem to know when to stop, but these are few and far between these days.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So at a couple of units a pint, on a heavy week that 40 units, and you think you’re fit and healthy? You may not have a gut now…

I don’t think, I know. I swim 3 times a week, usually at least a mile, and have started going to the gym again (shoulder injury put me out for a couple of months). I’ve just come back from a mile swim. I cycle everywhere I can, and often do a couple of longish rides during the week. I play footy every two weeks. I eat decent food. So yeah, pretty fit and healthy, for a 37 year old, I’d say.

I smoke a little bit, but can still out-climb most people up hills.

I do have the remnants of a little ‘winter belly’, and have put on a bit of weight over the last couple of years, as my metabolism has slowed down a bit. No worries. The winter belly is in recession.

If I din’t do any exercise, I imagine I’d be in trouble. My doctor considers my general physical health to be ‘very good’. She considers my drink habits to be ‘less than ideal’, but not too worrying, as I’m pretty healthy.

I could do with reducing my alcohol intake, and ought to quit smoking entirely.

I’m not going to worry myself unnecessarily. Life is there to be enjoyed.

Beer is part of life.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nil

nickc

You’re drinking twice the recommended intake, and your doctor thinks that’s less than ideal 😯

Blimey.

I know every-ones different, and you’re doing exercise, but that’s a lot of booze by any-ones standards. Sorry, i should perhaps say: it seems that way to me.

Wow, your poor liver!! 🙂

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Due to a reaction I have to brewed drinks I only ever drink a single pint whenever I go out / or a lonely bottle of Stella if I stay in occasionally – my total input for a whole month can actually be as low as a single pint… I drink loads of council pop tho’

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

as my metabolism has slowed down a bit.

that old excuse! How come I’m 19 years older and it’s not affected me ?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

My liver’s fine.

There’s all sorts of factors involved; how much exercise you do, what kind of alcoholic drinks you consume, whether you eat food with your drink, your age, weight, etc.

I’ve no doubt I drink ‘too much’, considering I’m only little and weigh 9 1/2 stone. I accept my drinking is excessive, and that I would be healthier if I cut down. I have been considering this for some time, and the worrying emergence of the winter belly has made me take my drinking seriously, and act in a positive and productive manner.

I set myself a rule of no beer before 7pm, if at home alone. This has now become 8pm. The impact of this is that I do currently drink a little less (it was 3-4 cans a night). So I have reduced my intake by a significant amount (approx. 14 units a week), and can actually feel the benefit. the next step is to reduce that amount further, to bring my intake closer to the recommended guidelines. I will try to have a couple of beer-free nights, but little steps are easier to cope with than large ones. Previous ‘dry’ spells of 2-3 days have just meant I drink 6-8 cans when I’m ‘allowed’ to have a beer again. It’s not simply a matter of willpower; I just like beer!

Then there’s identifying whether or not you have a ‘problem’. I haddunt considered that I did. Recent lack of exercise, due to illness and injury have left me feeling a bit run-down, and not at my best, so that’s been a good motivating factor in wanting to cut down. The bonus of increased exercise, is that booze has a more intoxicating effect, and as I lose fat, my tolerance will lower, so it will require less booze to give me the same ‘buzz’.

I’m completely honest to myself about my drinking; something I reckon too many people aren’t. Several of my mates drink more than me, and don’t understand why I claim I need to address my drinking habits.

What I don’t find helpful, is people judging me. Which is why I feel my GP has the right attitude; she does not in any way judge me. She simply states facts, and leaves any decision to cut down, entirely to me. That’s how I like things. Were I to have a more serious ‘problem’, I’m sure she would be more insistent on my need to cut down.

I am slowly returning to Full Buffness, and I’m seing booze as an obstacle in the way of Rude Health. I really think I’ve got the right approach and attitude, for me. Everyone has to find a system that works for themselves.

25 mins to beer o’clock…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

How come I’m 19 years older and it’s not affected me ?

Because you have worms.

nickc

Rudeboy, sorry. It wasn’t my intention to judge, and I apologize if my posts seemed to suggest I was. I was genuinely surprised is all. I have the occasional glass, and for whatever reason you didn’t strike me as a drinker (dunno why, it’s not like i really know you), it’s just seemed like a lot. Whatever, you seem to have a balanced outlook about it.

I’ll shut up now.

druidh
    Free Member

neverfastenuff – Member

Due to a reaction I have to brewed drinks ……

Oh – do tell….

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I drink way too much!
    Verging on the alcofrolic! 😕

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Druidh, in other words 1 pint and I am almost pi££ed…

DrDolittle
    Free Member

The bonus of increased exercise, is that booze has a more intoxicating effect, and as I lose fat, my tolerance will lower, so it will require less booze to give me the same ‘buzz’.

Hactumally, muscle is much better at metabolising(?) alcohol than fat (lots of veins or capilliaries in muscle), so by losing fat and increasing muscle percentage overall it will take more alcohol for the same amount of buzz to be achieved. That’s why a female the same mass as a male will experience a stronger effect from the same amount of alcohol, as they naturally have a higher percentage of fat tissue.

Perhaps a real doctor could clarify further.

druidh
    Free Member

neverfastenuff – Member

Druidh, in other words 1 pint and I am almost pi££ed…

Ah – thought you might have had a similar problem to mine. Any more than pint of beer and I get a raging migraine which lasts 60 hours (it’s a reaction to some chemical or other produced by malting barley).

cinnamon_girl

Drink far too much 😳 Helps me to relax during this bl**dy difficult period of my life.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Druidh, I get that as well …. honestly… I really cannot drink.

scotia
    Free Member

As i said before..jeesus.

agree with Mr Smith.

one other reason to be glad to be away from the uk!

hora
    Free Member

Stop worrying and enjoy yourself FFS. I only had 2 (normal) glasses of red last night but maybe some rum tonight

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Sorry Scotia, you are typical of those that like to blame your inadequacies on external influences, for example where you live.

I know binge drinking is bad in the UK but I have never seen worse alchohol abuse than in Japan, Germany, France (bloody hell what a mess!!)Russia and worst of all the U.S.

Compared to them we are teetotallers.

As for me I gave up booze quite a while ago and feel no better at all for it, rather miss it really:(

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

muscle is much better at metabolising(?) alcohol than fat (lots of veins or capilliaries in muscle)

except that the liver metabolises alcohol…

scotia
    Free Member

fauxbyfour: “Sorry Scotia, you are typical of those that like to blame your inadequacies on external influences, for example where you live.”

No need to be sorry, just dont talk bull. Do you know me? No, didnt think so.

My inadequecies? Which ones? My drinking is under control, and always was. When in the UK i did notice a very popular trend towards the drinking life. All the posts ring a bell of friends and colleagues, drinking the nights away till they were blootered.

I drank within my limits, and didnt (still dont) binge drink. Here, i appreciate wine and beer, but only when i want to and in moderation. There is no pressure, and certainly no stigma if you dont drink.

Since moving this pressure, and ‘norm’ has been completely left behind, so for me there is a link.

oh and why did you give up the booze? there is no need to go to the extreme. Maybe if you cannot control yourself, i’d start to look inwardly before coming on here and giving your twopence worth..

DrDolittle
    Free Member

except that the liver metabolises alcohol…

Aye. Maybe I meant that more muscles = more veins = more blood =lower % of alc for the same volume consumed or something. Anyway, it’s true.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, I’ve noticed that when I’m doing plenty of exercise, and am fitter, it seems to take less booze to get me sloshed. Mates of mine that are very fit can’t drink loads. ‘Crazy’ Dave could only have one rum and coke, or he’d be on the floor. It’s the fat bloaters who seem to be able to drink loads.

Maybe the increased circulation and stronger heart have something to do with alcohol hitting the system quicker or something, I don’t know.

nickc; it’s ok, I din’t think you were judging, me, in any particular way.

Interesting, that alcohol use is often related to depression and negative aspects of lifestyle, but some of the biggest drinkers I know are relatively happy and sorted. I admit I sometimes drink to try and relieve stress (it does work, short term), but my main reason for drinking is that I do like beer! Spose it’s like skinning up (I smoked dope habitually for years); it’s a ritual of having a can, or pouring a glass out, or being in a pub. I’m certainly not one who seeks to get pissed asap, I like to drink more slowly, and enjoy it.

duntmatter
    Free Member

This looks like it was great fun!

Delegates on their way home..

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ear, Duntmatter; we need another London Pootle/flimsy excuse to go down the pub, soon…

tomzo
    Free Member

Well, I’ve noticed that when I’m doing plenty of exercise, and am fitter, it seems to take less booze to get me sloshed. Mates of mine that are very fit can’t drink loads. ‘Crazy’ Dave could only have one rum and coke, or he’d be on the floor. It’s the fat bloaters who seem to be able to drink loads.

noticed this as well, anyone got any info on it??

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Maybe I meant that more muscles = more veins = more blood =lower % of alc for the same volume consumed or something. Anyway, it’s true.

or maybe just women are on average smaller than men ?

timdrayton
    Free Member

rudefredboy

same as you tbh, i am a hobbit and drunk 3-4 cans a day up till recently, coming from a reefer smoking past i had to suplant the reefer with something.

amazing how better you feel for leaving it just for the weekend tho, and have lost 5 lbs in two weeks, just for knocking the beer on the head during the week.

hurrah the asda red wine tonight tho

zaskar
    Free Member

I stopped drinking, When I did it used to be one offs but till I was smashed.

Now it’s a glass of red wine at a conference every 2 years or a coke n’burbon at a party.

Just stopped really to be healthier and I thought beer tasted gross except Stella-that was sweet.

Just a had a SIS strawberry recovery drink…now thats sweet!

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘What’s your boozing like?’ is closed to new replies.