Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Whats your blood pressure / pulse – and is it any indication of fitness?
  • organic355
    Free Member

Recently got a home blood pressure monitor and been taking readings.

Last night before bed mine was 99/60 and a pulse of 50 which seemed pretty low to me, and I read a systolic below 100 is a sign of HypOtension?

This morning after some bried dumbell excercises in the garage & a cup of black tea it was more normal 110/66 and a pulse of 72, but gonna keep my eye on it.

I am fairly fit, cycle to work every day (only 3 miles each way), train karate twice a week, lift weights twice a week and run (5-10k occasionally) so probably nothing to worry about, but I do like to worry 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

from what Ive been told by 2 doctors and numerous nurses (all friends and family) taking your own blood pressure at home is a massive no no due to raising anxiety etc…

Cos now look youve got all worried…

Dont do it

djglover
    Free Member

Pulse of 50 sounds normal, mine goes down to 46.

IHN

Whenever I’ve had my blood pressure taken, the nurse/doctor have always commented how low it is. Not sure of the actual figure though. It does mean that giving blood takes aaaaaaages….

My pulse, conversely, is quite normal I think (65bpm as I’m sat here)

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Very difficult to get an accurate self reading of BP and likewise getting singular readings at the docs means little (white coat syndrome).

willard

Last time I had my BP measured by a doctor it was 122/72 with a resting heart rate of 48.

I’ve always been a bit wary of home BP machines as they have a relatively narrow cuff which can make the readings a little inaccurate.

DrP

Sat in clinic at the mo, my blood pressure is currently 88/56, pulse 37.

Now it’s 76/42, pulse 32…

Now unreadable, pulse 28.

I shouldn’t have eaten that big pile of bisoprolollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllsfvnvvv……………………

organic355
    Free Member

The omron machine I have is pretty much the same machine they use in
    My GPs

I can’t remember the numbers, but I know my BP is always a bit high whenever I’ve had it tested.
    Considering the standard advice is to eat less meat and dairy, less salt, less alcohol and do more exercise, and I’m a straightedge vegan who never adds salt to food or cooking, rides a bike about 10 hours a week and has a manual job, I don’t think there’s much I can do about it.

HR is about ~50 first thing in the morning.

weeksy

My BP is usually 145/80 which is high…. it’s been a lot higher.

My heart rate is 42bpm…. my fittness is pretty good.

No-one can work out why my BP is a bit high when i’m fairly fit.

nickc

Why did you buy one? What information ( apart from the obvious ) are you hoping to get? Do you need to monitor your BP for any particular reason?

Drac

Last night before bed mine was 99/60 and a pulse of 50 which seemed pretty low to me, and I read a systolic below 100 is a sign of HypOtension?

Seems fine to me given the time of day.

hora
    Free Member

My mum has always had high blood pressure. I tend to ‘suffer’ higher than normal blood pressure but then I have a constant-stressful job and drink a serious amount of black coffee.

For me, I think its the coffee. I’m hyper-sensitive(?) to caffeine. When I’ve had my mornings intake I can feel the papultations etc etc.

organic355
    Free Member

Why did you buy one? What information ( apart from the obvious ) are you hoping to get? Do you need to monitor your BP for any particular reason?

Monitoring wifes blood pressure is it is all over the place for reasons I don’t particularly want to go into on here.

nickc

Ah right… I’d be cautious. Mine is on the high side of normal. Every time I go to the GP they are most anxious to note it again, and it remains where it always has…in every other respect I’m boringly average, weight height, I don’t drink heavily or smoke, I’m a veggie and I’m fitter than a lot of blokes in their 30s let alone in their 40s….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dunno what my blood pressure is but I’ve had two large espressos and a custard tart for breakie, I’d say its a bit higher that “my” normal ( of which I have no idea what it is)
    I do test my pulse, resting is about 37-42.

I did lots of checking out pulse / blood pleasures when racing back in the day, it was a right old PITA and quite boring.

I have recently been for a “Mans Test ” at the Docs and my Doc said ” Perfect “. I conclude I’m ok.

Flaperon

Provided you’re not feeling dizzy and fainting, your blood pressure can’t be “too low”. Same with HR etc.

It’ll vary depending on time of day / stimulants / mood / pre and post exercise etc.

mattk
    Free Member

I have a naturally low resting pulse of 45ish, I’m reasonably fit but no athlete.

One visit to hospital I kept setting the alarms off on the ECG with my pulse dropping as low as 36. Doctor said its nothing to worry about and mentioned brachycardia.

Obviously I did worry, but after lots of furious googling I decided its just the way my body works.

My brother is the same too so it’s probably genetic.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I’ll start with a disclaimer. This is the internet, I’m a voice on the internet, and hence take no responsibility if you die.

So, as far as I can tell BP and RHR tell you virtually nothing. RHR trend can be an indication of changing levels of fitness, ie reducing over time (weeks/months etc) may indicate fitness improving. BP, again over time, may indicate something or other.

But, its all to do with life style. If you take no exercise, eat pies all day, smoke and drink heavily you have a higher risk of dying young than if you exercise, eat salad and don’t smoke/drink. This is regardless of your RHR, BP or any other metric that can be measured.

Treat your body right, try and be happy, and don’t worry what the numbers say. Best you can do. Crossing your fingers may also help.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Depends how pretty the nurse is.

I’m getting quite fit at the moment, but my resting pulse is still ~60 bpm as it always is (except at altitude when it goes up).

With more riding, anaerobic threshold seems to have gone up, and recovery time gone down. All good.

avdave2

I had mine done yesterday, it was all ok but I can’t remember what it was. The nurse did say my BMI was a bit low so I might want to eat more pies. 🙂

fervouredimage
    Free Member

BP can be hereditary and isn’t always linked to lifestyle/diet. Mine is/has always been high despite good diet, good fitness, none drinker/smoker etc but high BP runs throughout my dads side of the family. After having blood tests, ECG after ECG.

youngrob

I have high blood pressure and take medication for it, the last time it was checked, which was a couple of weeks ago, the readings were 130/85 which the nurse was happy with, some doctors will say that’s still a bit high, it has been as high as 150/105 but that was before I started the medication. When I go for a check up they always take 3-4 readings to try and eliminate white coat syndrome.

OP, you’re bp readings seem fine so stop taking them so much – I only get mine checked every 3-6 months.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Whats your blood pressure / pulse – and is it any indication of fitness?’ is closed to new replies.