Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • What’s your best DHing tip???
  • 5lab

tyre pressures and saddle right down. I run 15 psi and it grips like a bad rash

Bushwacked
    Free Member

David_r – can I just spray mine red – will it be faster then?

jimmy

Wear bright orange trousers and top

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    glenp
    Free Member

I should say I can handle a bike, just haven’t done much DHing before as roots, off camber and steep scare me a little. But from the skills I’ve got already I feel I should be able to adapt easily…

Apologies – you misled me with the looking thing. Hope you don’t mind me saying, but all of your riding will be transformed if you start looking way ahead and stop inspecting the ground in detail. It is quite surprising that the very first thing we teach novices comes very late in the day to experienced riders.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve got a red bike 😀

I think the distance you look ahead should be qualified. Basically the distance varies according to the speed. so 3-4metres is probably about right up a steep hill in Granny, but coming down the other way it could be 25-30 metres.

Perhaps looking 2-3 seconds ahead is a better description?

glenp
    Free Member

Doesn’t strictly work like that, Rockape63, because it isn’t purely about looking for things. There are many reasons to keep your head up and your eyes level. I think I’m letting my enthusiasm get the better of me though – if I go through it all on these threads I won’t have anything left over to sell!

david_r
    Free Member

Bushwacked – Member
    David_r – can I just spray mine red – will it be faster then?

Yes. Needs to be a proper job though costing you loads, not some half assed home respray job – that will just make you slower.

grahamh
    Free Member

Hay, Bushwacked, you do realise that its is a year to the day, that I took that photo of you doing The Chute..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

someone once told me to count thrins through in 3’s.

so look ahead, say theres a dip, a serction of roots and a corner.

Then think pump, lift, brake.

The logic being 3 is an easy number of instructions to remember, and it helps learn tracks quicker. I know for a fact that it sped me up on one local run, as the more you do, the more you think about each instruction and make mental notes like rather than jsut pedal, i need 3 cranks in 7th gear.

It now starts with 3 cranks (flat bit) , pump lift pump (steep chute with some roots halfway down) , 5 cranks (straight bit).

then……
    left, right crank

then……
    brake, get into the rut, right.

etc etc etc

And huge tires help (2.4’s here) run low.

Keep weight verticaly over the BB

Hump the stem in corners

Fit tiny disk rotors, it saves weight and you’ll go faster.

Realise there are exceptions to rules, like cornering isnt always possible wit the outside foot down, it may even me quicker to pump it if theres enough grip with the cranks level.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I know I’m new around here Thisisnotasspoon, so I assume the above is some kind of in-house joke??? 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t drag the back brake, brake with the front brake just before corners.

Wow, I’ve been doing that for years and people usually tell me I’m “wrong”. First time I’ve heard anyone else say it.

Really interesting thread, some things I’m definitely going to try. That counting to three tip sounds like a recipe for disaster with my rubbish old brain.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Graham – Really – its still one of my favorite photos.

GlenP – I suppose what I was on about was I found looking further ahead than normal I went loads faster. The stuff I’d normally worry about (Braking bumps, roots and drops / jumps) didn’t really cause much of an issue. I thought they would if I didn’t give them the death stare as I got near to / went over them.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Rockape63, joke or not, thisisnotaspoon is on the button there…… some great ideas, pointers on this thread worth catching as a list, but knowing it does not mean you (especially I) can do it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

my spelling – yea, im mildly dyslexic and type too quickly

the advice is all stuff people have told me, and most of it works! Counting things through in threes simplifies it, and means your already thinking of linking bits together that ther than mu old way of getting through the same section was……

pedal like a maniac, get out of shape down the chute as a reuslt, attempt to brake for the next two corners (no need no im actualy on the right line getting into them), miss the quick pedal out the second as im out of shape, forget which line to take into the right hander, pop out the rut and bounce into hedge.

Much simplified if i only have to remember three distinct instructions to get me though any given section.

jedi

my bestest dh tip is put the mtb away on saturday and grab the 20 and head to corby for the customriders 25th aniverasy sesh 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Indeed, ride 4X or BMX, or even your MTB on a BMX/4X or pump track and you will deffo improve your Dh skilz

Bushwacked
    Free Member

If I wasn’t at a wedding I’d be there – Enjoy!!!

Should see you Tues though – Wanna get over the big Spine!!

😉

carlphillips
    Free Member

if in doubt…flat out

Morpheus00
    Free Member

Keep the pisspot helmet… it’s a must! If you buy a fullfacer you’re only going to put yourself in the ‘I might crash’ mental zone. In terms of armour, if you’re really committed skins and speedos is where the hardcore fraternity are at these days.

I never knew Singletrack had so many Peat-a-likes… felt like flicking through MBUK reading this post 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Isn’t ‘heels down’ one of the basics?

jedi

tuesday is in fact spine o’clock

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good to see your watch is fixed 🙂

RHSno2
    Free Member

Actually. I take my advice back.

My new advice is ‘Don’t ask DH questions on Singletrackworld’ 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

GlenP – I suppose what I was on about was I found looking further ahead than normal I went loads faster. The stuff I’d normally worry about (Braking bumps, roots and drops / jumps) didn’t really cause much of an issue. I thought they would if I didn’t give them the death stare as I got near to / went over them.

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m talking about. It is the very first most basic rule of mtb technique. We learn to ride bikes not long after we learn to walk, so we do the looking like we’re walking – checking for divots and trip hazards for our little feet, despite having 26″ round and squishy/grippy “feet” (wheels). Whereas we should do the looking more like we’re driving a car.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Just been out again and fillowed some advice which I thought I saw in this thread – looking back though I can’t see it!!!

Anyway, was switching my vision from just in front of me to mid distance to long distance and kept repeating this, allowed me to really focus on what I was going over, coming up to and had to get myself ready for!!

Now I just need to improve my cornering technique!!! 😉

jedi

corner like you pumping the bowl

glenp
    Free Member

Nice one Bushwacked. And the progress so far is just with looking further ahead, which is in itself just a small part of “looking”, which is a basic skill component. There is more – maybe see you down Surrey Hills some time for the bigger picture, including lots of cornering. (Actually, the way that you put various “looking” skills into cornering is very important – but you’ll have to come and see us to find out more!)

TheDoog
    Free Member

Why has no one mentioned the art of exiting the bike if need be?? There are times when it is wise to dismount your trusty steed to avoid a bigger thrashing several yards later, or if the grip has gone beyond the point of no return!! P.s stepping off in mid air cos you’ve decided you’re gonna die is a bad option, ride it out you, you WILL land, you may fall off. But if you bail you’re definately crashing!! For me its all about finding a way to bypass the personal survival instinct on/off switch.

enfht
    Free Member

Pretend you meant to fall off

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What’s your best DHing tip???’ is closed to new replies.