Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Whats your average speed on your daily commuter ride to work?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Was rather pleased with an average of 21mph yesterday on the way home, admittedly with a bit of drafting… 🙂

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Depends on the traffic, while the schools are off about 45mph 🙂 HTH

ericemel
    Free Member

About 16mph on fixed cx 44:15

richc
    Free Member

I averaged around 21mph, but some git was drafting me for around 6 miles, and wouldn’t overtake or get further than 6 inches from my rear wheel.

Just to pre-empt the I should have dropped him , 1. I am fat, 2. I am slow and 3. I had already done 10 miles at that point and was starting to feel like I was going to have a heart attack.

What’s the score on drafting; should people do it?

redx

When I’m on the bike as slow as possible so I don’t have to shower at the other end…….

qwerty
    Free Member

according to endomondo i just averaged 21.32 mph over 20.67 miles for a 16 mile journey !!!

About 18km/h there, 12km/h home.
    12km each way, about 95% off road.

wallace1492
    Free Member

16-18mph moving average is fine by me.

njee20
    Free Member

I averaged around 21mph

1. I am fat, 2. I am slow

One of those statements isn’t true!

Generally about 18mph on the way in, slightly quicker on the way home. Any distance from 9 miles to 65.

drofluf
    Free Member

richc – Member
    I averaged around 21mph, but some git was drafting me for around 6 miles, and wouldn’t overtake or get further than 6 inches from my rear wheel.

Just to pre-empt the I should have dropped him , 1. I am fat, 2. I am slow and 3. I had already done 10 miles at that point and was starting to feel like I was going to have a heart attack.

Had an easy run in today, managed to draft someone for at least 6 miles at 20mph+ 😆

Seriously I think it’s rude to draft a stranger and in town I think it’s dangerous. At the very very least they should take a turn at the front.

BTW 21mph is not slow, I’d be overjoyed to average that sort of speed!

rkk01
    Free Member

12-14mph

finbar
    Free Member

2.6 miles, takes me about 15 minutes i guess, so 10 mph.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

richc –

No – and I would never allow anyone to do it either.

richc
    Free Member

This is according to Endomondo, so I am not sure how accurate the speeds are, but the distance is the same give or take 0.02 K every day so I guess it must be reasonably accurate?

No – and I would never allow anyone to do it either.

So how do you stop people doing it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

On a good day, over 20 mph. Perspnal best 20.5 mph.

The route is 8.25 miles and a bit hilly. About 500ft of climbing in total. Usually riding with loaded pannier but the PB was with two panniers (towel and shoes as additional load).

On a bad day, closer to 16 mph. For some reason, the ride home is always slower. It’s more up hill, oddly a little longer but you’d think I’d be keener to get home (trust me, I am keener).

turtleheading
    Free Member

The drafting was behind a car…

trickydisco
    Free Member

So how do you stop people doing it?

Drop them 😈

kimbers
    rootes1

20.6mph av on 48:18 SS over 28.5 miles on the in..

19.5mph av the way back

taken from GPS and wheel sensor

cadence av 96rpm with a max of 134rpm

54 sets of lights as well on the route! obviously not red or that would be a right pain!

mrmo
    Free Member

my commute is 16miles, average is 16-18mph, best so far is 20mph.

Flat route from Cheltenham to Evesham.

njee20
    Free Member

20.6mph av on 48:18 SS over 28.5 miles on the in..

19.5mph av the way back

Is that PB, an average, or do you just always do 20.6 on the way in and 19.5 on the way home?! With identical cadences too, clever.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are we discussing best average speeds or average avaerage speeds? I don’t record the average average. (Average squared?)

njee20
    Free Member

There are people giving a vague ball park, ie an average average, and those using these threads as willy waving, so you may take your pick 🙂

I personally don’t really understand how it’s relevant, and yet it comes up often!

rootes1

Hi Njee20

on the way in varies from 20 to 21, though normally towards 20! find that is the last bit for my from Putney to Victoria that knocks the ave down a little – I make an real effort to make sure av does not drop below 20 on the way in. Have managed once a 21mph av which was a PB.

on way back unless there is a strong headwind normal do more than 19mph av, cadence normally around 90ish av with no more generally than 135 (though did see 140 once)

could i suppose combined all the data from lots of runs and then do an overall average from that – would need to build up more runs.

Nice thing about having a computer etc is that you can get a good workout by checking your stats..

not tending to use the HR bit as still learning out that – though the garmin often picks up other people!

have just bought a proper geared roadbike – will be nice to see how that stats compare on the same run – hopefully lower max cadence!

I only do the route 1 day a week though – for the other four days I brompton and train – which is less effort.

Si

ps not about willy waving, but if someone asks the question they are bound to get answers – for me it is just nice to compare performance over the same route.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My commute is across the Quantocks, 15 miles and just over a 1000 ft of climbing each way. I average around 12/13 mph if I take the CX bike (about 5 miles offroad) and 15/17 mph if I use the road bike.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

12 miles across Bristol city centre, usually an hour or so. I can do it in half an hour if I’m in a hurry.

Incidentally, 20 miles in from Bath each day used to take about an hour too …

rootes1

My commute is across the Quantocks, 15 miles and just over a 1000 ft of climbing each way. I average around 12/13 mph if I take the CX bike (about 5 miles offroad) and 15/17 mph if I use the road bike

😯

whet over then quantocks on Lejog – don’t fancy that everyday! well not the up bit anyway

njee20
    Free Member

15 miles and just over a 1000 ft of climbing each way

That’s not that bad, far rather do that than ride through 57 sets of lights in London! 😉

rootes1

57 sets of lights in London!

true..

only good thing about lights is that it gives you an oppo to chase down those that jump them

will
    Free Member

These are some impressive average speeds. Are they moving averages or averages?

Anything North of 19mph av would be good for me over my 10 mile commute through London. The traffic and the lights just make it hard to get a good average.

Some people must have very little traffic/lights on their commutes.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

quite often average 22mph on the way to work (15 miles) fixed 42×16 gearing, the way back is uphill and into the prevailing wind though so on a good day 19mph

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

18+ going

16+ on the way back as I am fecked.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends on the weather, or rather the wind, but a worst of around 14mph in a howling gale to around 20mph on a perfect day. Summer average average is around 17.5mph with winter a fair bit slower. This is over a 20 mile each way commute.

Didn’t realise there were so many fast folk on here.

kimbers

i only know since i got the sportypal app on my phone, it was interesting for about 3 journeys but dont actually care really

robnorthcott
    Free Member

My to-work commute is pretty quick if I go by road. In normal conditions usually around 20 minutes for 8 miles, so 24mph. I _have_ done it near 30mph average on good days with no animals close to the road, with a slight tailwind. On a bad day in the winter with heavy rain and strong headwind I’ll be slower of course. And going home again I average around 15 or 16mph, which kind of ruins my willy waving credentials.

Of course, I live on top of a hill and work at the bottom, one roundabout, two junctions, no traffic lights, not a lot of traffic.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Didn’t realise there were so many fast folk on here.

In all fairness I’ve probable made a hash of setting up my cat eye wireless.

D0NK

cruising speed on my (ss) commuter is 17/18mph, I might put in extra effort if I aint riding that night/day after or I might be slower if I’d done a ride day before but 17/18 is usual.

turneround

33KPH for the 50KM round trip commute (killer of a hill for the last 3Km)..

iain1775
    Free Member

16.7mph true average over 5 mile route, 6 sets of lights all normally on red, half route winding through city centre then a continuous riverside path, done on cx bike and in no particular rush (no showers at work)
    Once I’m on the path and nothing to dodge/stop for/hit or run over I’m up around mid 20’s so that section through town is definately the slow bit

crazy-legs

These are some impressive average speeds. Are they moving averages or averages?

Some people must have very little traffic/lights on their commutes.

Alternatively, most people are talking utter shite.
    20mph + is night on impossible through traffic and lights, especially on a fixie or SS. I rode home from SITS on Sunday with a cross/tail wind, the first 20 miles were pretty flat and on my ‘proper’ geared road bike I was averaging 19.9 (with only 1 or 2 sets of lights, was basically B roads), it then slowed down a bit when the hills kicked in. Now at times I was doing 30+mph but my all up average was a fraction under 20…

A good average speed on an average sort of road ride is about 16-19mph depending on terrain. Commuting speeds are almost always lower as people are carrying rucksacks/panniers, coping with traffic, lights, junctions etc. For reference, a 3rd/4th Cat road race is usually somewhere in the region of 23mph.

These threads crop up quite often and if the speeds quoted were true, there’d be a much larger pool of cyclists going for the Olympics!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Whats your average speed on your daily commuter ride to work?’ is closed to new replies.