Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What's wrong with this recipe? Homemade chilli sauce…
  • shermer75
    Free Member

250g red birdseye chillies, roughly chopped
    1/2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar

The mix of imperial and metric units seems to indicate that something has been lost in translation somewhere. Anyway there clearly can’t be 250g of chillies to half a tin of tomatoes- that would be suicide. I assumed that it meant 25g of chillies and kept all the rest the same- but it is still insanely hot. So, is it 250g of chillies to 12 cans of tomato? But then there doesn’t seem to be enough vinegar or sugar. Hrumph. Can anyone either figure this out or recommend a better recipe?!?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just buy some Linghams.

Lovely stuff and no gaff.

chestrockwell

I’d have thought any home made chilli sauce would have a fair old kick tbh.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

No recipe that I’ve ever followed would give you chilies as a weight. It’s always just the number of whole chillies.

julzm
    Free Member

One maybe two birds eye chillies will be enough with a half can of tomatoes. Personally would use a normal chilli with half the seeds out, I.e. Cut in half and de-seed one half. Quarter cup white sugar is a helluva lot too. Prob a teaspoon would be enough for that mix. Try allrecipes.com. They allow you to pick imperial or metric and how many servings you want.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Make the chipotle en adobo that Tommi Myers does in her book. Phenomenal stuff, smoky, hot, sweet and tangy. **** tackle.

mcnultycop

Lose the sugar and vinegar, fewer chillis, add cumin, chocolate at the end.

Boom.

warton
    Free Member

Just go and buy this instead. nothing you make will be nearly as nice…

cdoc
    Free Member

I generally use about 20-30 habanero or scotch bonnets to make 2 x 150ml bottles of sauce. It is very hot, but retains a good fruity taste.

Also, I use about half a sweet pepper to bulk it out a bit, rather than tomatoes as they tend to add a bitter edge which is why I suspect there is so much sugar in that recipe. Many seem recommend trying rice vinegar too, as it has a much softer and sweeter flavour than wine vinegar and may help you to reduce the sugar even further.

YoGrant
    Free Member

It’s obviously 250 chillies. Man the chuff up!

jkomo

Scotch bonnets, very hot but really fruity as /\ says.
    Found a lovely Scotch Bonnet sauce in B and M bargains. 59p

shermer75
    Free Member

YoGrant – Member
    It’s obviously 250 chillies. Man the chuff up!

Don’t joke, that’s not far off! They weigh about a gram or two each.

atlaz
    Free Member

What you’ve got there seems more like hotsauce like tabasco so to be used in small amounts and kept for a long time (hence the vinegar). If you want something to use more like ketchup, less chilli, less vinegar and it’ll work.

I tend to do hot sauce and the recipe is pretty much what you’ve got there. That said I tend to blend in some fruit (mango or pineapple) and a bit of something to stop it fermenting to take the edge of otherwise it can be inedible at times due to the sharpness and heat.

RobHilton
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    Just buy some Linghams.

Like sugar do you? Mind you makes an excellent dip for pakora etc. mixed with yoghurt & dried mint.

The shizz:

taxi25
    Free Member

Chilli sauce, the recipie sounds about right. If its to hot just use less.

oldnpastit

Mixing sugar with chilli will make it a lot milder.

So those quantities could well be correct.

novaswift
    Free Member

I make a chilli jam and use 5 or 6 bird eye chillies to a 390g tin of chopped tomatoes. I use red wine vinegar not white

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What's wrong with this recipe? Homemade chilli sauce…’ is closed to new replies.