• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamz.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • whats wrong with my feet….?
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

Been using Northwave boots for years but my feet were getting cold 20-30 mins into a ride at the moment, they are a size bigger and I’ve experimented with different socks etc so I bought some new shimano MW81 boots which arrived yesterday.
    Again, a size up and there’s plenty of room in them, good walking socks on and as much as I wanted them to be warm, after an hour I had cold feet and could feel my toes going numb.
    Now I’ve spent some time in the Artic and also been exposed to my fair share of cold wet weather over the years, both here and abroad so is it possible that I’ve damaged feet to some degree?

It seems at the moment that I cant be out any longer than an hour without suffering.
    Anybody else in the same boat…?
    Any Suggestions…? Sock recommendations?…Help

Ringo
    Free Member

Do you smoke?

jonny-m
    Free Member

only when I ride fast…..
    sorry, no I don’t

Ringo
    Free Member

I have shimano mw81 they are not warm!!

jonba
    Free Member

What are you wearing on your legs?

If you can keep your legs warm with some good windproof tights it may help.

I find that my temperature drops initially then my body starts to adapt and generate its own heat. On really cold rides I find leaving my socks,trainers and gloves on the radiator helps get me through the worst of the initial shock until I am working enough to warm up.

scotroutes

Diabetes?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Im wearing a decent pair of winter bib longs on my legs
    why diabetes….?

houndlegs
    Free Member

FWIW Im pretty much the same, if the temp drops below about 5 degrees,it doesnt seem to matter what i do,i just get really cold. Thats with northwave celsius artic boots with ulvang merino socks,either aldi/sealskinz gloves with a liner (next payday im going to try those glacier gloves). I wear roubaix bib shorts, a base layer, then a compression top thing, then a jacket, buff round my neck, skull cap under helmet. I should be able to survive the north pole,but after an hour im absolutely bloody freezing.
    Thats not much help to you,but at least you aint on youre own 😕

womp
    Free Member

Heated socks, I’ve been toasty for the first time in ages

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/heated-insoles-or-heated-socks

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I suspect Scotroutes hinted at Diabetes due to the link with poor circulation. I have it and my feet/ears and hands are terrible in the cold. I struggle like you. I now order as large as I can on my cycling shoes so I can wear thicker socks in Winter. I very much doubt Diabetes is your issue though as you’d probably have other symptoms?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Ensure the socks you are wearing are the right size for your feet and not compressing your toes in any way at all. I was wearing a pair of blue Bridgedale walking socks not realising that they were only L and was wondering why my toes were getting cold/numb….and I am a longstanding diabetic so try to be ultra careful…..By the way you could be diabetic with no other obvious to you symptoms…..always worth checking especially if you are reaching middle age…..anyway I digress, I tried on a pair of my new supply of blue Bridgedale socks in XL which is the size covering 11-13 and hey presto issue gone.

sockpuppet

Keep your hands, head and legs warm: amazing how much difference it makes to your feet!

I love my gore skullcap, makes such a difference under a helmet, and easy to slip off without removing the bone dome on the move if you’ve overdone it!

Similar to this one. But not white!

jonny-m
    Free Member

I also have been using Bridgedale walking socks oddly enough….
    Maybe I should try something else a bit warmer?

Suggsey
    Free Member

In the right size for your feet JohnyM? They can and do shrink!!!

timba
    Free Member

Is it just your feet? If you suffer with your fingers as well then it could be a condition such as Raynaud’s, which in itself can stem from other conditions

As a youth (before GoreTex and the like became so freely available) I put a plastic bag over each socked foot before putting shoes on. It worked wonders, proper old school me

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve had the Northwave Celcius boots, added neoprene overshoes, purchased merino wool socks.

Still got cold.

I suffered through the past two winters, some days this combination wouldn’t even permit a couple of hours in the garage on the trainer.

Purchased 45Nrth Wolvhammers and can do 8+ hours out on the trails in single figures and freezing temps.

Its the best money I’ve ever spent on cycling (and that includes the plastic Tallboy)

Jamz
    Free Member

Could be nutritional deficiencies. Do you have any other symptoms? Look at your diet and do some googling.

Some info to get you started

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘whats wrong with my feet….?’ is closed to new replies.