Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What's up with my ear?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Left ear feels like it’s got water in it when I rub it – like when you get out of the bath after you’ve dunked your head under the water! Except it’s been like that for a month. FIL reckons perforated ear drum but no probs hearing or pain. Not a huge problem (that I’m aware of) – just bloody annoying now 🙄

scotroutes

What did the GP say?

Bregante

couldn’t hear him…

bearnecessities

Water in ears? It’s common at this time of year.

You just need a new ears eve.

rascal
    Free Member

Er…I haven’t been.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s full of spider’s eggs. HTH! 🙂

scotroutes

have you tried a tap on the head?

fasthaggis

OP do you have a torch and some tweezers handy?

rascal
    Free Member

You bastids! 😯

kermit
    Free Member

I had something similar a while back with wax build up. Didn’t hurt, but did eventually cause me the same hearing issues you get from water in your ear.

I ended up solving it by getting a dropper bottle (as opposed to post!) and using it to drip some olive oil (pharmacist recommended it) into my ear then lying down with the ear upwards for 10 minutes or so to loosen everything up, then squirting warm water in there with a syringe and a flexible hose, which cleared everything out perfectly! Just squirt the water in rather than pushing the actual hose in.

maccruiskeen

I had ear bother for a while which (IIRC) was a sort of a mixture of an infection and an eczema like reaction. A kind of vicious circle- the infection caused irritation which cause eczema that was prone to infection repeat to fade. Made me pretty ill at times – deafness, pain behind the eyes, occasionally unable to move my jaw to eat – and dogged me on and off for over a year. A kind of squelching, seemingly wet but not actually wet sensation was often part of the onset.

Its sometimes referred to as ‘Swimmers Ear’ and prevention involves trying not get water into your outer ear (when washing /showering etc) and avoiding your ears staying wet if water does get in there. Water trapped in your ear isn’t whats happening and not the cause of the sensation you feel, but water getting in there can be the cause.

Treatment was an ear drop mixture of antibiotics and hydrocortisone, and occasionally trips to outpatients to have the inside of my head hoovered.

cheekyget
    Free Member

It sounds like a build up of wax in your ear

You need to clean your ears out

I SAID YOU NEED TO CLEAN YOUR EARS OUT….!!….. 😀

rascal
    Free Member

What? 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

mrsfry
    Free Member

You are part of a government experiment. Earth thanks you for your participation.

That’ll teach you to get bladderd at christmas and sign contracts from men in raincoats 😉

steveoath
    Free Member

Sounds like ear wax. I have narrow eear canals (its a thing!!) and regularly have to get them squirted clean. Diy, go for it but make sure wax is softened. Gp generally suggests 3 nightly applications of olive/almond oil.

CountZero

Just get someone close to put their mouth to the other ear and blow.
    (I am not a doctor). 😉

bencooper
    Free Member

Try laying your head on one side, and gently dribbling water into your ear.

wilburt
    Free Member

I presently have an infected middle ear which has burst my ear drum. This results in a dark brown putrid blood/puss mixture periodically leaking out of my ear.

NHS says it’ll be right in a few days. Dont use cleaning products as it will go inside your head.

shermer75
    Free Member

Mrsfry, what movie is that from?

codybrennan
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you use ear plugs do you, rascal?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve had this before. I think it’s wax. I got some ear drops from the pharmacist that loosens wax which I used for a while before getting my ears syringed a while back – it’s got some active ingredient in it that makes it fizz and go warm. Use it for a few days and it should sort you out. I know you’re not supposed to, but I also used cotton ear buds to make sure any loosened wax was pulled out. I managed to remove some pretty large lumps of soft/wet looking dark brown wax from the lug holes after a couple of days of using the drops. I was right as rain after that.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What's up with my ear?’ is closed to new replies.