Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • What's up with my brakes…?
  • Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Sorry to post another “what’s up with my brakes” thread as I’m aware there have been a few recently…

Anyway, decided to service my Hop Mono Minis this weekend (new pistons, seals etc.) after 6 years of maintenance free joy.

Anyway, followed an online guide, popped the inboard pistons out no proplem, removed the bore caps but really struggled to get the outboard pistons out on both front and rear calipers. They slid smoothly for a mm or two then stopped dead. Had to resort to drifting them out in the end.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I’m obviously worried that whatever was causing the issue getting the old pistons out may damage the new ones.

Oh, and oddly enough, for a brake set bought new as a pair the front had steel pistons and the rear had phenolic, one of wich was in backwards! Still worked faultlessly for years though…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe a bit of corrosion from water in the brake fluid? At a guess. 6 years is really much too long to leave dot fluid.

Make sure the calliper is free of corrosion fur especially in the seal grooves.

Don’t use force to rebuild them Lube the new seals and pistons with red rubber grease

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

That makes sense… Ta, put my mind at rest a little.
    😀

Stan

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘What's up with my brakes…?’ is closed to new replies.