Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Whats this old frame?
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

I know its a cannondale, but thats about it

Yes i know the wallpaper, we rent…

Oh and it has s 1.5" headtube

mtbfix

An early 90s Mx00 by the looks of things. Is it the 'Beast' frame with that headtube? Ask this question on Retrobike and you'll be flooded with answers and advice.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Yes early 90's Dale I dont think its a BOE. Did the M series start then? Was it a bargain?

soma_rich
    Free Member
    cyclistm
    Free Member

I thought BOE started out as one of the range of M series frames – so it could be both (if you see what I mean)

The seat stay to seat tube looks unique, not like any cannondales I can think of – is it a small size?

soma_rich
    Free Member

The seat stay to seat tube looks unique

A lot of the early Dales had that set-up. I dont see why though…

mtbfix

You sure it is a 1.5 headset rather than a 1.25"?

This looks close – http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=10779

timdrayton
    Free Member

Frame number is on the stay and is 515 (15" frame?) 0292 (feb1992 then) 6160 (could this be the type if aluminium)?

No nearer the model tho….

timdrayton
    Free Member

That 3 series looks pretty close.

I spose it depends on what its worth now as to wether it was a bargain or not……. Lovely welds

coogan
    Free Member

Looks like an old piece of crap I reckon. Maybe early 90's vintage?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cross posting forums here but its a 3.0 series and the 3.0 signified the weight = 3lbs The frame was used for the M500 and up i.e. same frame but different specs.Below M500 the range used the 3.8 series frame. BOTE frame had a higher bottom bracket than the regular 3.0 series.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Polished up it should be worth £70-£90 you can build a weight weenie for not very much money at all.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Cheers all!!!

Coogan its bloody shiny i tell ye

timdrayton
    Free Member

Where can i get a headset yokaiser?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Retrobike will be your best bet, or ebay. You could try SJS too. They aren't that rare though not everyone is aware of the size(which is indeed 1 1/4") Also called 'evolution'.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

This was one I built up, rode very light as you would expect but fat ally forks and frame and 1 1/4" headset means its very very stiff.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Oh god thats lush, pretty much what id do with it too, ie single speed and shiny, how did you get it to that finish? Did you laquer it and what did it weigh?

Lucas
    Free Member

I've got one of those sat in the loft – unfortunately someone tried to nick it and cracked the drive side seat stay where it is crimped for chain and cassette clearance. Even got a set of '96 rockshox judy SLs with the evolution steerer.

timdrayton
    Free Member

lucas, fancy selling the headset if there is one?

yhm

kitchenroll
    Free Member

looks like its cracked at the seat stay dropout junction………………

walleater

I remember seeing plenty of those 3.0 frames lying around race courses with the head tube snapped off! They were probably the slightly earlier ones with the 1" steerers though.

The welding around the seat/chainstay join does look suspect…

timdrayton
    Free Member

Nah welds are fine just dirt in the weld

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Autosol should clean it up nicely. 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I'm afraid it's rubbish timdrayton and you need to give it to me to go with that nice Saracen frame you sold me. 😀

Ar the mechs and chainset any good still? Looks like XC PRo stuff. Good quality.

How d'you come by this one? Don't say someone gave it to you for nowt??? I used to lust after 'Dales like that.

I tried persuading a woman I know to give me her ex-boyfriend's Alan racer a few years ago. She weren't having it. 🙁

johnny_met
    Free Member

I (think) I've got an 1 1/4" old headset, stem in my attack from my old M800 'dale. I think the original force 40 brakes are up there too

tang
    Free Member

m series for sure. i had an old mavic headset for one of those, if i find it ill let you know

timdrayton
    Free Member

I am really struggling to find a headset so yes let me know if you've got one!!

Howdi elfin, an odd story really, i drove all the bloody way to wales (7 hr round trip wont be doing that again) to pick up an epic, walked in to the bike room glanced at the epic, said yep ill take it but what is that beauty hanging up!!!! The guys wife told me it had been up there as an ornament for 10+ yrs.

Its very shiny, light and has suntour xc comp mechs front and rear and chainset and bb all mint.

They threw it all in with the epic (£375) for an extra £30….. I was chuffed!

timdrayton
    Free Member

Spk to the owner its an m800 beast of the east (sloping top tube).

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£30? You jammy dodger!

You best give it to me though as it's no good for you…

£30 is a right result for that. The mechs alone would sell for that on Retrobike, if they're in good nick.

timdrayton
    Free Member

Elfin im not selling the cannondale but ill probly sell the epic, its a small and a bit too similar to my other bikes.

Its just had new new bearing and works a treat?

Can do full bike or frame only or any combination inbetween?

Emails timdrayton@live.co.uk

cynic-al
    Free Member

Old bikes generally ride a bit crap compared to modern ones, no amount of nostalgia can compensate!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Whats this old frame?’ is closed to new replies.