Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's this bike and what's it worth?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

A friend is selling – perhaps to me. They say Trek T2 but I can’t find any info. Trek 2.3 (as the sticker on the chainstay suggests?

Thanks

walleater

No idea on actual model or UK pricing but check the rims for cracking around the spoke holes. For possibly obvious reasons, spokes tended to crack the rims.

atlaz
    Free Member

Given the age (I’d guess 10-12 years), I would suggest a price of “not much”. Spares for the drivetrain will be hard to come by, wheels may be on the way out etc.

To give you an idea, in 2011 I bought a 2007 Fuji bike of a similar tier off here. Paid around 200 quid.

Edit – this suggests it’s around 10 years old and is worth 160-260 dollars

alanl
    Free Member

Trek 2.3 from roughly 2008.From the pic, it looks like a womens specific design, I bought a very similar looking one last year.
    Trek 2.3

Worth £200 at most. I bought a similar spec (newer too) womens Trek Lena bike last year for £100.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I reckon he or she should be paying you to take it away … 8)

cookeaa

Is that a crack or a reflection at the top of the fork?

If not its still probably worth a couple of hundred as much for the size and being WSD…

As ever you may do better splitting, people will still buy older 10 speed STi of almost any vintage, especially if those ones come with the reach adjusters they originally came with, there should be an ultegra mech to flog, those bonty wheels may interest someone and the framset will probably sell for someone shorter/female… It could well make a decent winter bike.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Spares for the drivetrain will be hard to come by

Poppycock! It’s probably 9 speed. Sora parts will be fine.

chestrockwell

I thought the same Peter. I can quite happily get any part I need for my 1989 Saracen Tufftrax or 1992 Orange Clockwork so can’t see it being a problem with this.

onandon
    Free Member

It’s a basic spec old Trek. Probably only worth £75 – 150 depending how bad the wheels and mechanicals are.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Thanks all.

The bike seemed in remarkably good condition.

They swapped the wheels for Ksyrium Equipe S and a 1 ride old Fizik Aliante (destined for the MBT). £150

I’m happy. Waiting for the rain to stop now.

It was definitely a reflection, not a crack in the forks.

So, that’s my first step into the darkside. Hope I don’t like it too much!

@On_and_on

I’m under no illusions as to it being an older and cheaper model but I’d have thought that carbon forks and chainstays 10 years ago were for few-steps-from-bottom bikes, no?

tpbiker
    Free Member

The mistake you have made is not factoring in the ongong expense of finding you like road biking and upgrading to a shiney new carbon wonder bike in 6 months time..

I made that very mistake when I bought a lovely old trek off the clasifieds a few years back

onandon
    Free Member

@ makecoldplayhistor

Just saying that it’s not a rare bike. You could easily pick something up on eBay silimar for under 200 quid.
    If the drive train / wheels are knackered it’s worth very little considering a new Planet X etc start at 600 quid or so.

If it works and it fits it would be a decent step into road bike riding.

alanl
    Free Member

It’s fine. Road bikes havent upgraded much over the past 20 years.
    11 speed, carbon and lower weight components are pretty much all that has happened since 2008 when that bike was made.
    The current Trek Lexa 4 is probably the modern day equivalent of the 2.3, and looking at that, not a great deal has changed, it’s a decent bike.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Back from a short spin.

I’m pleased with it, my friend is pleased … everything else is a bonus.

All bearing / teeth are in good nick. Stupidly fast compared to and kind of knobbly-tyred bicycle. Sad to say, kind of addictive.

I can’t believe how far I rode in such a short time!

@TP – I’ve already mentally bought new shoes, pedals, peakless helmet and lycra.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Oh dear 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's this bike and what's it worth?’ is closed to new replies.