Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • WHats the 'standard' ratio of kids per adult on trips out?
  • jimmy

Boring question but one I'm sure someone will have an answer or opinion on. If I'm organising a voluntary event, should I recommend a maximum number of kids per adult? I will hopefully be getting volunteer insurance so that might specify whats needed, but they have initially asked me the same question.

wwaswas

how old are the kids?

1 adult to 4 kids seems to be standard on primary school trips.

My wife works in a special needs school and they try and aim for 1:2.

br
    Free Member

While there is 'good practice', I find when MTBing with my kids that the ideal is usually one adult more than you've got…

IMO You need at least 2 to cover the accident, and 2 more to get the rest back safely – so 4 at a minimum. Also with breakdowns/punctures its handy to leave 1 adult with it and the kid, without stopping the ride totally.

glenp
    Free Member

On a professional basis we go with one to six as a guideline. Depends on the terrain and other variables. Might sound a bit ott but write a risk assessment and see how you feel about it when you read it back. Think about contingencies – what will you do when you have a mechanical, etc.

wwaswas

sorry, is this an mtb trip – I thought as it was in the chat forum it was just a general 'trip on a coach to an attraction' type thing?

jimmy

not an MTB trip. Its a litter pick along a cycle path. So risk is low really, but I'm aiming for groups of 8 so 6:2 would be good, I guess.

BikePawl
    Free Member

In Edinburgh schools the ratio is 1:15 for school trips and other non-adventurous activities.

yossarian
    Free Member

glenp is correct. Your risk assessment for the event should give you the adult/child ratio. Be EXTREMELY wary of any 'standard' ratio you get off the internet. Speak to people who have organsied trips of this nature before, and come to your own conclusion taking into consideration the individuals concerned, the specific event and any likely incidents that may remove supervisors from the overall activity

read this: http://www.hse.gov.uk/schooltrips/keypoints/leaders.htm

If this is education based then let me know as I do this stuff for a living – might be able to give you some more specific advice

jimmy

Cheers BikePawl…!

coffeeking
    Free Member

On a professional basis we go with one to six as a guideline.

1:6 is the approx guideline we use for able-bodied teenagers in hills/outdoor environment, older/more experience we might extend it a little, younger/disabled we might reduce it, but our students are expected to be fairly self-sufficient and we have trained them to a reasonable degree for their environment beforehand (i.e. they're all aware of how to react in emergencies and while they could not be relied on to form part of a rescue/help-runner team they can be relied upon to erect a tent/shelter and keep an mildly injured person safe in an emergency.

antigee

Beaver Leader alert!
    for those not familiar with this type of beaver 6-8yr olds before cubs/scouts
    we work on 1 adult to 6 kids plus someone overall in charge and a firstaider and would do a risk assessment/pre visit to look for hazards

fubar
    Free Member

Its a litter pick along a cycle path. So risk is low really,

So rabid speeding cyclists (remember we are a danger to the general public), dog eggs, needles…I'd stay at home.

pstokes99
    Free Member

Obviously depends on activity, location etc etc.

DCSF guidlines for school visits sets out:

1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3 (under 5s reception classes should have a higher ratio);

1 adult for every 10-15 pupils in school years 4 to 6

1 adult for every 15-20 pupils in school year 7 onwards

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘WHats the 'standard' ratio of kids per adult on trips out?’ is closed to new replies.