Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What's the scariest disease?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I’m sure everyone has their own take on this but Motor Neurone Disease is the one that I find most disturbing.

Drac

Progressive Supranuclear Palsy

Alzheimers

COPD

Are just a few.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rabies!

At every port of entry in Ireland growing up (and even in the town I grew up, while not a ferry port, still had docks where foreign ships would unload) we had signs with a picture of a guy clearly in agony, with the words “Rabies Kills” and at the bottom “…AGONISINGLY” all in jagged red letters.

I swear we all grew up absolutely shit scared of it. 😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s normally ones we’ve seen people suffer from first hand but as I child, I remember being anxious about rabies. Might have been triggered by something on the telly though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Man flu…

Too many serious ones though

Drac

It’s normally ones we’ve seen people suffer from first hand but as I child, I remember being anxious about rabies. Might have been triggered by something on the telly though.

In the 80’s Rabies was going to kill us all.

Spin
    Free Member

Christ, where to start, there’s all sorts of nasty shit that can go wrong with you.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Any form of necrosis puts me off my dinner somewhat

schmiken

Lou Gehrigs scares me.

Pyro

I don’t know whether the ‘immediate, horrific’ stuff like necrotising fasciitis, Ebola etc is scarier than long term conditions like COPD, CHD, dementia. Both lots are scary in their own way.

wwaswas

The one your child has.

kayla1
    Free Member

There was that film in the 80s, wasn’t there, where the disaster movie fella got his family to chain him to a post after he was bitten by a skunk?

hang on… google google… tappity tappity…

‘A Cry In The Wildnerness’

It scared the poop out of me for ages.

So, rabies. Or HIV. Or any cancer. Or any other disease that can kill or debilitate you.

nickc

It was wasn’t it…Between that the AIDS campaign and the constant impending nuclear war, no wonder we’re all neurotic

Spin
    Free Member

Or HIV

Someone with HIV in the UK today can, on average, expect it to have a similar impact on their life expectancy to diabetes. It’s far from the death sentence it once was.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Anything that is progressively degenerative is truly awful. Terrifying for the person that’s forced to cope and heart wrenchingly destructive for anyone that loves them.

chrisa87
    Free Member

Anything that is progressively degenerative is truly awful. Terrifying for the person that’s forced to cope and heart wrenchingly destructive for anyone that loves them.

This +more

MSP

The lurgy

MrOvershoot

muppetWrangler – Member

Very well put, the second part is my life at the moment first is my wife 🙁

Drac

Exactly that was reason with my list. See it far too often and have unbelievable amount of respect for the loved ones that battle on to keep them at home.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

pancreatic cancer and MND

allan23
    Free Member

Try living with diabetes, it’s treatable, but for most of us treatment involves delaying the death sentence rather than removing it.

Having spent the last year having the NHS sticking needles in my eyeballs every month, the side effects are deeply unpleasant.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Age.
    I watch my parents, kid sister, friends and strangers die from everything ranging from heart attacks to being ripped apart in a car crash. With dementia, cancer, strokes and being killed by the stupidity of others thrown into the mix. Everyone you love gets ripped away from you.
    Some days I wonder how anyone can be stupid enough to believe in god.
    Yay, today’s my birthday. 63. And I seem to be destined to live forever.

Its not raining so I’m off up the Ridgway. And then I’m getting pissed. Probably with Kula Shaka on the iPod.

globalti
    Free Member

Good on yer Eddiebaby, have a virtual pint on me.

freeagent
    Free Member

Watching bowel/liver cancer turn my 18-stone 29 year old rugby prop little brother into a weak, helpless shell of who he used to be was very haunting.
    The fact he fought it for almost 7 years before it finally got him at 36 was in some ways worse than a quick end. (although I’m thankful for every day I had with him)

ninfan
    Free Member

Rabies!

At every port of entry in Ireland growing up (and even in the town I grew up, while not a ferry port, still had docks where foreign ships would unload) we had signs with a picture of a guy clearly in agony, with the words “Rabies Kills” and at the bottom “…AGONISINGLY” all in jagged red letters.

I swear we all grew up absolutely shit scared of it.

It was wasn’t it…Between that the AIDS campaign and the constant impending nuclear war, no wonder we’re all neurotic

I’m still worried about Colorado beetles…

Drac

I’m still worried about Colorado beetles…

The ****!

allthepies
    Free Member

(Bad) Cat AIDS.

hilldodger
    Free Member

“No vaccines or drugs to prevent infection with the organisms used in this area are available and all current therepaeutic agents have the potential for irreversible toxicity and variable effectiveness”

One of the hazard notices on the door of the lab I’m working in after lunch, focuses the mind a little 😐

ferrals
    Free Member

Personally the two diseases I find a bit freaky is weils disease and lymes disease. Probably because they can be contracted by chance messing around in the countryside doing the stuff I like. Both theoretically easily treatable, but also commonly not.

Drac

“No vaccines or drugs to prevent infection with the organisms used in this area are available and all current therepaeutic agents have the potential for irreversible toxicity and variable effectiveness”

We have that on our work Fridge.

rickmeister

Whatever Donald Trump has caught, leading him to think and act as a presidential candidate.

Probably Cat Aids then….

ratherbeintobago

Or HIV. Or any cancer.

What Spin said about HIV; not a great thing to have but it’s far from a death sentence. Same goes for a lot of cancers, in whom the majority of patients die with it rather than of it.

Cholangiocarcinoma isn’t a good one to have though – presents late and 5y survival is 2%.

Klunk
    Free Member

mad cow disease

ojom
    Free Member

Gälloppin? Swedish Cøckrot.

Utterly terrifying.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Skill (ABD)

hilldodger
    Free Member

We have that on our work Fridge

some of the places I visit I think they should have it on their canteen fridges 😕

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Knowing a sufferer, I nominate cluster headaches. Incurable, permanent headaches so bad that a good portion of the treatment is aimed at trying to prevent the sufferer from committing suicide to escape.

giantalkali
    Free Member

Morgellons

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What's the scariest disease?’ is closed to new replies.