Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Whats the point in having a winter road bike.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few threads on here about peoples winter road bikes, I really don’t see much point in having one. I have one road bike that I ride all year round, and apart from one pair of seized brake calipers in 3 years riding, its been spot on with no real problems at all. I can see if you had a fancy high end carbon bike with deep section carbon rims and carbon everything, then It might not be so wise to use that kinda bike all year round, or at least change the wheels. Not sure that’s the case though.

Am I missing something? Educate me.. 😐

fasthaggis

Am I missing something? Educate me

No,you will be fine .

If you are happy with the bike you are using ,just carry on 🙂

ctznsmith
    Free Member

In winter many people want to run wider tyres, mudguards and lower gear ratios to compensate for the inclement weather and less than favourable road conditons. This isn’t possible on a lot of road bikes, hence the ‘winter’ road bike with mudguard bosses, wider clearances and different component choices.

wwaswas

often they have clearance for wider tyres and/or mudguards.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

No,you will be fine .

If you are happy with the bike you are using ,just carry on

Perfectly put.

8)

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mainly to stop your super nice components and wheels being eaten by all the chemicals they spray over the roads in winter and secondly, so you can fit full length mudguards that stops said filth on the road spraying all over you and your riding companions behind you!

40mpg

You can’t put ‘proper’ mudguards on your race bike, cos of the clearances. And the more mature mile-munchers on the club run give you the evils if they get your tyre spray.

Plus it saves all your good gear from a weekly (or more) dosing of salt and grime.

Edit – muuusst tyyppee quuiiccckkkeeerrrrrr

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Do you ride in groups in winter when its wet with no mudguards?

binners

often they have clearance for wider tyres and/or mudguards.

I’ve heard some people go to a whopping great 23mm.

Roadies are funny 😆

rootes1

rational excuse to justify buying another bike!

footflaps

Very poor trolling 0/10.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

25mm’s here with guards down to the deck to stop the spray, lower gearing on front of 39/50. lights permanently attached. It get’s used daily however so the winter soon destroys any flimsy summer gear.

Kryton57

Oh c’mon

Ride your bike then give it a rinse after? What’s going to “melt” – really?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said, if you’re happy why do other peoples choices upset you?

I’ve got a tourer/commuter with 32c tyres and propper guards. The best the racer can manage is 25c and guards held on by zip ties.

Wet boots, knee warmers and grit get ground into the stays and top tube and generaly ruin the finish. Crashes are far more likely. Potholes grow in size, number and get hidden under big puddles making them harder to avoid. Drivechains take a pasteing.

And even the frame material, it’s not (just) carbon that suffers in winter, if anything i’d rather my winter bike was carbon as my cannondale is showing signs of the paint bubbling off where salt’s attacked the aluminium in previous years, and steel rusts.

Basicly if you’ve got a nice bike that you like, winter hates it.

Some people solve it by buying a cheeper raceing bike (maybe you race a supersix evo dripping in bing, and have a CAAD10 with crud guards or raceblades). Others go the whole hog and get a lightweight tourer (I’m thinking guard and rack mounts and clearences for 32c tyres, but keeping more nimble geometry).

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Do you ride in groups in winter when its wet with no mudguards?

I ride solo for most of the year.

if you’re happy why do other peoples choices upset you?

Was just curious really. I’ve never had an issue with paint bubbling up or rust. The front mech has nearly seized up a few times too, that’s about it.

Kryton57

Paint bubbling? He obviously doesn’t wash it.

druidh
    Free Member

Pah. Everyone knows that titanium is the only suitable material for a winter road bike frame 🙄

Northwind

It’s an excuse to buy another bike.

Drac

I have a spring, summer, autumn and winter MTB and CK bike.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m not getting this dirty……..again.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Ride your bike then give it a rinse after? What’s going to “melt” – really?

i have seen a scary amount of corrosion on someones well used winter alu bike. was probably cleaned regularly but not every ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Of course riding it twice daily and not having a hose at work kind of puts paid to that idea kryton

Cant get winter marathons in my summer road bike

Cant fit guards to it either

avdave2

I have a winter mountain bike, it’s been well used this year especially in the summer.

Kryton57

Fair enough trail rat.

I use mine from/to home socially only. My bandy legs don’t rub on anything either, lucky me.

zerocool

I never saw the point myself. Just clean and service the one you’ve got regularly and I do about 200 – 500 miles a week 52 weeks a year.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Whats the point in having a winter road bike.’ is closed to new replies.