• This topic has 46 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by matts.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Whats the point in Cycling 100 miles?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Half daft question. Never done it. Never felt like doing until the other morning laying in the bath. Now i want to do it but not sure why….
    The plan has been hatched, already thinking of a flatish (less than 6000ft climbing), also something to make it vaguely more interesting rather than banging out 6-7 hours on the pedals. I’ll do it sometime in the next few weeks but still not sure why ive suddenly thought its a good idea. Thoughts…

aracer
    Free Member

Because it’s there

imnotverygood

Cos then you can ride 100 more and you’ll be the man to ride 200miles to fall down at your door.

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve done it dozens of times and a lot more but now unless its something special like ride london I wont go past 60, after that it starts getting boring.

Bregante

It would be very dull if we only ever did stuff that had a point

damascus
    Free Member

On road or off?

1st time I did over a 100 (road miles) was on a bike touring holiday. I was proper chuffed with myself.

What if you do it, enjoy it and catch the bug?

orangeorange
    Free Member

Also remember, whether you think you can,or think you cant-You’re right !

cloudnine
    Free Member

It will be on road but mainly B roads and quiet lanes.. was thinking of visiting all the main castles in south pembrokeshire (not actually stopping to do guided tours) just to keep it slightly more interesting..

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Probably something from childhood, a 100 miles was as far as you could possibly imagine at one time. Cycling a Century seems to have stuck as a benchmark, like running a marathon or swimming a mile.

If you are still thinking about it next year I can thoroughly recommend the Ride to the Sun. Other ideas are a coast to coast ton and 100 miles from home and pedal back.

sirromj

It will be on road but mainly B roads and quiet lanes.. was thinking of visiting all the main castles in south pembrokeshire (not actually stopping to do guided tours) just to keep it slightly more interesting..

Sounds like a great idea. Quiet country lanes are so much nicer to cycle on and unless you know your local area extensively, 100 miles should show you a few sights you didn’t know.

TooTall
    Free Member

It’s a bit like runners and half marathons and marathons. It’s a big number, something with a significance.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

none

ninfan
    Free Member

Because its way more hardcore than 100km

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds an excellent plan – see there is a point to it!

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

They’re very easy and can become quite routine. Especially if you’re into audaxing. I can knock a 200km ride out in less than 7 hours quite easily so starting at 7 in the morning still means there’s time and light, during the summer, to mow the lawn afterwards.

grannyjone
    Free Member

I finally reached my aim of a 100k off-road ride in the Peaks. It took over 10 hours (not just because I’m crap, but had to stop loads of times for food and drink). I don’t know what the point of it is but it certainly feels good when the number of K’s on the Garmin reaches a number I’ve never had before. The other point of it is the large amount of good stuff covered in one day (trails and scenery). I’d think it’s pointless just doing 100k (or 100 miles) of boring monotonous stuff though.

antigee

flatish(less than 6000ft climbing)

6000ft reckon thats 1828m of climbing – you only need 1700m of climbing to make it a Mont Ventoux day and earn an extra beer point on top of the 100miles

ton

i rode a 100 miler last august. exactly 1 year after have successful heart surgery. a proper celebratory ride i thought…….. 😀

montgomery
    Free Member

I think 100 road miles is do-able for anybody of average fitness. It’s getting back on and doing 100 miles the next day, and the day after that, when bike fitness starts coming into play.

therevokid
    Free Member

looking to re-kindle the century bug for exactly the same reasons as
    ton … not that i needed a reason before, other than the bike looked
    clean and i fancied a coffee with cake … 😉

DT78
    Free Member

To get to somewhere 100 miles away?

Did poole to Bude yesterday (140 miles) got to say the last 20 were tedious even though they were the best conditions

Dickyboy

Used to regularly ride 100+ miles when cycling or hitching was my only means of transport

Rorschach
    Free Member

Whats the point in Cycling 100 miles?

jonba
    Free Member

Dangerous game. First you get hooked on 100km, than 100miles. 200km isnt much further. Before you kow it youve tried a double,200miler. 300miles is 500km and has even better numberwang. Finally someone suggests 700km. You do it and realise that this is a stupid game and call it quits. Till someone mentions 1000km. What is the point in riding a 1000km.

mooman
    Free Member

Simply riding just to tick off the Century Ride would be kinda boring; very much like setting yourself a set distance to do in a year/week. But doing 100 miles that took you further out than you usually ride, and with nice scenery, is well worth it.

I agree as somebody has previously written: doing 100 miles on a road bike is not that tough a task, doing 100 miles in a fast time can be though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

When i was in the CTC it was fairly common to knock out 100 miles on a sunday ride most weekends from not long after easter, all the way into september. 80 ish would be a minimum.

I left the CTC in about 1983, so things may have moved on somewhat.

ransos
    Free Member

Because a long bike ride is usually a nice thing to do.

mogrim

Because it’s a lovely way to spend a day?

As a suggestion, and if it’s convenient, you could also try riding somewhere 100 miles away and getting a train back. It’s much better for casually dropping into the conversation at work on Monday and watching their horrified faces when they realise someone could actually go that far on a bike 😆

whitestone
    Free Member

A hundred miles on road in a flattish area taking your time isn’t hard. Do it quickly or in a hilly area and it becomes somewhat harder.

A hundred miles of off-road riding is somewhat harder again even if you just doing traditional bridleways/tracks rather than trail centre type trails.

Tend to do a few road rides of a hundred miles every year, round here there’s no option but for them to be hilly. Done a couple of hundred mile (well 200Km & 300Km) off-road rides – you have to dig a bit deep for those.

freeagent
    Free Member

To me it is a benchmark of your fitness/mental attitude, a bit like running a half/full marathon for runners.

100 miles is a long way to ride a bike – it is 6+ hours for people of average fitness, and quite a challenge.

I did RideLondon last year, and found it very tough (42, overweight, not trained enough) Garmin clocked me at 6.40 (moving time)

I’m doing RideLondon again this summer, i’ll be a couple of kilos lighter than last year, and I’ve certainly trained a bit more.. I’d love to get under 6 hours (Moving time) but in reality i’ll just be happy to beat last years stats.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve done 100 miles on the road a few times, though never on a road bike. Done 100 mile off-road a couple of times too.

ElVino

Dangerous game. First you get hooked on 100km, than 100miles. 200km isnt much further. Before you kow it youve tried a double,200miler. 300miles is 500km and has even better numberwang. Finally someone suggests 700km. You do it and realise that this is a stupid game and call it quits. Till someone mentions 1000km. What is the point in riding a 1000km.

I gradually increased the distance I rode until I had knocked out a fair few 100 milers, I did find however when I did the Dragon ride anything above 120 miles is pretty tedious. It is the eating that killed me by the end of it stomach was sick at the thought of anything sweet.

ransos
    Free Member

It is the eating that killed me by the end of it stomach was sick at the thought of anything sweet.

One reason to do audaxes instead – proper food at the café controls.

gordimhor

because you can

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why the hell not, it’s not actually that far when you think about it

Edric64
    Free Member

I have done 5,100 mile + rides this year riding Audax and time trials .The longest being 187 miles and 219 miles in a day .I want to push myself further and am doing the 24 hr timetrial nationals in July

mrhoppy

Not a lot when you realise Mike Hall is doing 200/day for 2 weeks off road fully laden. Kinda pisses on everyone’s chips that.

mattyfez

I really enjoy it, the contyryside, im trying to train for an endurance event so it helps me learn about pace and food/kit to take etc. Plus it feels like I’ve achived something.

It’s something im working toward, ive done 75 miles a couple of times on towpath and bridalway, its hard going for me at least, did it in a shade under 8 hours ride time, 12 hours including lunch, breaks and two pint stops.

Ive also had comments at work whilst eating something unhealthy.. “how are you not fat eating that?”

I clocked up 150 miles on the bike over the weekend.

“Oh”.

miketually
    Free Member

Not a lot when you realise Mike Hall is doing 200/day for 2 weeks off road fully laden. Kinda pisses on everyone’s chips that.

Even worse, there’s a 17-year-old doing the Tour Divide, averaging 150 mile a day…

Edric64
    Free Member

Or Steve Abraham doing 200 miles a day for months on end

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Whats the point in Cycling 100 miles?’ is closed to new replies.