Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What's the pick of CYB trails these days?
  • franki
    Free Member

I’ll be in the area soon and as well as some “natural” trails I’m planning on riding CYB.
    Last time I was there was before the new visitor’s centre was finished, so I’m guessing the trails have changed a bit over the years.

What’s the “must do” trail nowadays?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Went there a couple of months ago and the beast was a good blast.

cakefacesmallblock

Did the Beast 2 weeks back. Last time I’d been was years ago and the long climbs were what was mostly on the Karrimor. Tech bits / singletrack are sublime in the most part. Big grins all round from us.

timmys

I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and was recommended to just go for the Beast and I’m glad I did. I missed the long fire road climb/descend loop after Hermon – if you do want to miss that out then check whether Gomez is open again, it wasn’t when I went which meant I climbed up to join the route again there and had to turn straight back round and head down to the road to get to the start of Morticia.
    Personally I’d probably swap out Badger and Pinderosa and go for the new Blue loop (1st section) as a nice swoopy warm-up instead. I’d also try and slot in Dream Time either at the end or beginning as it’s the only really good bit I rode which isn’t included in the Beast. The final fire road climb up to Beginning of the End was also shut so you have to turn left when you come over the bridge rather than right – the diversion signage was non-existent at that particular point though.

franki
    Free Member

Well, I’m back from Wales, having ridden Pont Scethin and the (full) Beast at CYB.

I have to admit, despite the on-line grumbling about sanitization and so on, the trails are riding better than ever IMO. Some parts were looking a bit tired on my last visit, but they have been armoured or re-routed now to withstand more traffic and I think the route is much improved. (Even if they did try to kill me by diverting up the mega steep tarmac climb to the “Beginning Of The End”, while I was riding singlespeed! That hurt!)

The new Adam and Eve section is a blast to ride. My problem with it though, (and the Minotaur) is that these more “bike park” style tracks are a bit of an eyesore and really stand out from the beautiful woodlands. As fun as it was, I hope there’s not too much of this kind of thing planned as it spoils the look of the forest IMHO. I prefer trails a bit more sympathetic to the surroundings. Perhaps when it’s worn in and weathered a bit, it won’t look so bad.

In conclusion then, I had an outstanding day on some of the best singletrack I’ve ridden and look forward to going back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What's the pick of CYB trails these days?’ is closed to new replies.