• This topic has 57 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IWH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What’s the most you’d spend on a frame?
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

I think a maximum of £1200.00 is about sensible, anything over that and I think you’re into the realms of ether diminishing returns or gilding the lilly.

what do you think?

ton

£1595.99p
    and it lands tomorrow.

Daffy

Hardtail – £800

Full suspension….I’d buy my Mojo at full price if my current one broke. Other than the Mojo? – £1100

Daffy

Ton – What did you buy? – 29er? Ti? On-One?

carlphillips
    Free Member

HT- £150
    FS- £1200

ton

ventana el capitan.

singlespeedstu

What’s the most i’d spend on a frame.

Depends how much I wanted it….

taka
    Free Member

10p

grumm
    Free Member

Depends how much money you’ve got I suppose.

My whole bike cost less than your upper limit for a frame. I personally couldn’t imagine paying more than about £500 for a frame, but then even that seems ridiculous to most ppl I know.

crashvictim
    Free Member

£1,100 on my road bike and that was reduced
    £250 on my hardtail and that was reduced
    £0 on my full sus

titusrider
    Free Member

ooooppps i just blew £2000 on a mojo SL

although £1500 was provided by the insurance company 🙂 so it was only £500 really

auricgoldfinger

Just shelled out £1895 for a DW Turner 5 Spot. That is about the limit (and when I mentally committed myelf to the frame it was £1695, but that’s another story).

Forking out for another Nicolai soon – a hardtail – will be around the £900 mark. I tell myself that is about the limit for a hardtail frame, but if something came along I really liked I’d probably pay more.

ton

i do not have a limit
    if i want it i will buy it
    if i dunny like it i will then sell it.
    life is too short to worry about things like saving a few quid.
    speshially when you consider what we pay for mortgages and cars.
    go for it if you want it.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Just got my £1695 DW 5 spot today, should have bought from Rutland Cycles auric!

swisstony
    Free Member

I don’t think i could ever justify spending more than £500 on a frame, thankfully there’s a lot of other people who are daft enough to and i buy their hardly used frames when the next must have model comes out.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

£1500 on a Moots frame. 6 years ago

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£200’s the most so far

v10
    Free Member

Glad it arrived safe Douglas!

Hope you like the size/colour 😀

Luke

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I love it!

auricgoldfinger

bigdugsbaws – quite possibly, but my LBS kindly gave me some free finishing kit to make up for the price gouging I suffered from silverfish – I think they felt a little guilty about the price hike, and they are a good bunch of guys, so I wasn’t out of pocket. Plus, I generally get 15% off everything (bar frames) with them, so I’m not complaining (particularly since I had a 36 TALAS off them at the same time).

ton

i also like being in the situation that i can buy what i like, then if i think it is shyte, to be able to sell it on to some of the lesser advantaged on the forum.
    it’s my way of giving to the poor and neady. 8)

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

ton, when is this on one bike appearing?

johnners
    Free Member

£950 for a hardtail. It broke/got broken, I’m pretty disinclined to spend as much again.

ton

cough cough..shedfire…soon i hope.

bluemooner
    Free Member

get my chameleon bought then Tony

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Tony, dibs on the Ventena let me know when its available and what colour 😉

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

£100 so I have enough left over to buy the Shimano groupset…………..

v10
    Free Member

To be fair bigdug got the last one of the £1695 spots. Next 2 we sell will be £1795 then up to £1895. It doesnt feel right profiteering from price rises so just selling the first few at the RRP related to what we paid at the time.

Glad you like it – definatly my favourite colour of the 3 now ive seen it in the flesh.

Most i ever spent on a frame was my Intense Socom with a Digi Camo wrap (which cost intense $450) CCDB and Ti Spring… dont think ill ever spend that much again! 😯

solamanda
    Free Member

£1.3k for a DH bike, (Nicolai).

Oxboy
    Free Member

About a grand providing the rest of the bike comes free with it 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Never gone over a grand, but about £1250 at a push I suppose.

Like to think I have an eye for a bargain.

brakes
    Free Member

I tend to buy frames 2nd hand, so maybe £5-600 tops for a full suss

I’d rather have 3 £1,000 bikes than one £3,000 bike

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

£360 is the most Ive spent, on my Dialled Alpine. I would have tried to go 2nd hand but there werent many about at the time.

Id struggle to justify spending anymore I would say, since I know I will be having fun on any bike, regardless of how much the frame cost.

Ideally I’d buy it 2nd hand anyway, so say £300 for a hardtail and about £600 for a full sus (although I probably wont buy one of those again)

Saying that, guess it relates to how much you earn. I could do alot with £1800 but I guess if your income is say £50k per year then it aint that much.

Spending loads on dh bikes seems the biggest waste, because you will probably only ride them for about 30minutes per month or so.

sheldona
    Free Member

More than some but not as much as others 🙂 Bought some of my bikes as frames:
    Maverick
    Spot brand
    And my new custom **************

GW
    Free Member

spent £1700 on my first DH frame and that was trade price.
    wouldn’t spend more than £300 on a hardtail frame – there’s simply no need, no idea what I’d spend on a DH frame doubt I’ll buy another one for a quite while (got 3 DH bikes).

stonemonkey
    Free Member

1200 for a 2008 5 spot in the sales think it was a good deal stuck an xt groupset with wheels on it from merlin about 550 i think and some pikes had the rest of the bits. about 2200 all together which i think is a lot of bike for the money

mboy
    Free Member

My DH bike frame cost me about £800 new, but it was NOS and cost me less than 1/2 RRP!

My Maverick I bought 2nd hand in immaculate condition for £800 too. Good deal at the time considering the original owner paid the thick end of £2500 for it (this was pre Maverick frames dropping significantly in price).

Bought a new S Works Enduro frame in 2002/3 for £900 which was RRP, rode it for a year then sold for £650 which wasn’t bad.

Most I’ve spent on a HT frame was £450 on a new ti Airborne from the Halfords sale a few years ago. Built it up, rode it a few times, decided it wasn’t for me and sold it for the same I bought it for.

Much as I LOVE nice and expensive bikes, I cannot justify buying something that’s going to lose a ridiculous amount of money in depreciation if you buy it new. A few hundred quid over a year, fair enough, but a frame that’s going to lose £1k or more in the space of a year, even if I’ve got money (which I don’t right now anyway) it’s unjustifiable personally. There’s way too much good stuff on the 2nd hand market usually to worry about buying new 😉

peajay

£1200 on my hummer 18 months ago, that was new, spoke nice to my lbs and got a discount, that is what swung it between a soda and a hummer, was riding a soul at the time and couldn’t decide,
    PJ.

forge197
    Free Member

Don’t think you can put a limit, comes down to what I want need at the time, then it’s working out the best way to fund it 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

£10.

Thats what my 456 Summer Season cost after I sold my Inbred slidy drop out frame 😆

I don’t need owt else in the UK and only keep the £1100 S-works Enduro for out the Uk trips

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What’s the most you’d spend on a frame?’ is closed to new replies.