• This topic has 104 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • What's the most technically challenging trail in the Peak District?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

And also what’s the steepest?

Cheers

rickmeister

Up or down?

dannyh
    Free Member

Legit or cheeky?

ton

parkin clough is a tough one.
    top bit of doctors gate is also pretty tricky.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Legit for me its cavedale I’ve rode it dozens of times and never made it down without a dab
    Cheeky wise I walked up lose hill recently and think it would be a challenge getting down the centre of that

Houns

Jacobs ladder, up

edward2000
    Free Member

Legit and cheeky, going down!!

tlr

Cheeky – Parkin Clough, I will never clean this.
    Legit – Cave Dale, this I have done clean a few times, but there is luck and dry conditions needed!

hora
    Free Member

We shouldn’t be discussing Parkin Clough as well it is highly dangerous to other users on the second part. You can’t brake and stop if theres a few walking up. Therefore it is too dangerous (for all) to ride.

jekkyl

the beast.

crazy-legs

the beast

Like Doctor’s Gate, that one requires trials skills to clear it. Some of the trail is very much hit-and-hope, some is simply too big and jumbled up to roll.

Cavedale is proper technical, I’ve only ever cleared that twice in all the years I’ve been trying! Needs good weather and a quiet time as well, if you try it in the middle of tourist season you won’t be able to move down there for all the walkers coming up.

As a climb, Jacobs Ladder. It is doable, I’ve seen it ridden (by Nick Craig) but even he freely admits to only managing it half a dozen times.

carlos
    Free Member

What ton said up there^^^^

Technically challenging

Parkin Clough is about control, skill and a splash of luck. You can brake and stop, if you can’t, then your out of control and don’t have the skills to ride it? The bottom half is rideable, I’ve done it more than once but I’ve never tried it from the top. I have walked up it and would say that the top section is the tougher.

Dr’s Gate if iirc would require some trails skills to clear the Boulder/rock section near the top. Ive ridden the route once, walked that bit and it was ages ago, so might have changed a bit since.

As for steepest descent, dunno.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did cavedale for the first time yesterday.

Great descent, I had a couple of dabs but I reckon I could ride it clean with a couple more goes and a bit of luck with walkers.

I was on a slack 170mm bike. Would be way tougher on an xc machine of course.

ton

parkin clough is in a different league to the beast/jacobs/cutgate/cavedale.

a couple of the sweary boys can ride it. most cant.

colournoise

Of those that I’ve ridden it has to be Cavedale. Loose, always wet, and slippy. Add in the hordes of walkers and I’ve not cleaned it yet.

The Beast I don’t find that tricky. I’m not fast down it but it’s fairly easy to get down clean.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

[STWboasting] I cleaned* the Beast on a cross bike once[/STWboasting]

I’m teh awesums me.

* nearly.. 😆

hora
    Free Member

The Beast is easy. I used to day dream on that. It’s fun though.

Carlos the top of Parkin is way easier than the second half. I personally feel once on you are committed. That’s bad news if you come across people who are supposed to be there. Even the steep cheeky across on WLT is way easier to stop on at any point. For that reason I don’t think people should ride Parkin.

We should always ‘what if’ with walkers.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

The beast is a piece of pish. All rollable, riding it fast is a challenge but for the most difficult legit downhill for me is Cavedale by far.

Lots of luck needed with no walkers, hell I did it early last Monday morning and still there was walkers blocking the sensible lines. But even once that hurdle is done, its a challenge and a half at the top.

iain1775
    Free Member

Rushup
    It’s so technical that its deemed dangerous and has been closed over a year 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Tried to ride the beast fast yesterday with tired limbs at the end of a big loop, almost came a cropper. It’s a bit like playing pinball on a bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The beast and cavedale are both rocky and maybe ‘not for novices’ but neither is really the kind of decent where you have to measure it in dabs. Especially on modern trail/enduro bikes.

Cavedale in winter is particulalry fun, just dont do it if it’s been below zero or snowing as the narrow bit through the gate doesn’t defrost untill the spring and also happens to be the steepest!

Other stuff thats a challenge:
    Packhorse trail off stanage.

Blacka Moor / Dore drops, some trails more than others and weather dependant, another one thats really good fun over the winter but Ive not ridden it for a few years since it became popular.

Cut gate to langset resevoir. Not hugely technical, but a good challenge to learn as a lot of it’s sunken so the trail itself is blind.

davros

Don’t tell me the beast is easy 🙁 I still feel pleased with myself everytime i clean it.

Cavedale gets my vote but i don’t ride these cheeky routes.

hora
    Free Member

Cavedale needs momentum!

vickypea
    Free Member

I can ride the beast on my hardtail, but I wouldn’t call it easy!

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

parkin clough is in a different league to the beast/jacobs/cutgate/cavedale.
    a couple of the sweary boys can ride it. most cant.

Its horses for courses but I find parkin always doable without a dab (I’ve done in the dark with lights also)

But always struggle with cavedale as its mostly always wet and can be very slippery

Most times I’ve been rode it with some very capable riders and most struggle getting down without a dab

Hora I’ve a pic on my phone of you on parkin 😉

Pook

I think there are more technical descents than both Parkin and Cavedale. They both just take a bit of brakes off. Parkin is just sensible wheel placement.

I find Jacob’s tougher – especially the bottom end.

Of course, you can always up the technical ‘rating’ of a route by upping the speed IMO

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Yep Rushup with the bloody great sharp rocks that DCC dumped is lethal (hope you all have filled in the DCC consultation)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cavedale needs momentum!

Of course, you can always up the technical ‘rating’ of a route by upping the speed IMO

Naaa, I remember riding cavedale on:
    100mm XC hardtail with decidedly ‘euro’ geometry (very short, very steep, long stem).
    130mm Hardtails (various)
    150mm FS bike.

On the FS bike even the arse-puckering bit through the middle gate and down just becomes a case of disengaging the bit of your brain that deals with consequences of failure. Roll out of it and the rest is just a load of chatery rocks. The faster it’s ridden, the easier it gets.

Ditto the beast, there’s a few horrible rocks/steps with wheel swallowing gaps under them. Near impossible at walking pace without being Danny MacAskill, with a bit of momentum you just plop off them without any skill required.

Superficial
    Free Member

I find parkin always doable without a dab (I’ve done in the dark with lights also)
    But always struggle with cavedale

Are you sure you’re talking about the same trails? You can ride Parkin Clough in the dark, but you can’t ride Cavedale? Weirdo 😛

There’s a great little section heading downhill from Surprise View car park that’s pretty tech. Part of the first section is pretty difficult to clean.

walleater

The Beast – the hardest trail……in the world.

bigrich

The Beast – the hardest trail……in the world.

on a 1995 saracen tufftrax, yes; six inch middle manager mobile, no.

hora
    Free Member

Erm he was saying that in Jeremy Clarkson s voice

fathomer

Not done much cheeky in the Peak so it’s Cavedale for me, probably clean it 50-60% of the time.

Isn’t there some really techy stuff at Hollinsclough?

jekkyl

there’s several sections there fathomer, it’s very techy but very short, also pretty sure sure it’s in staffordshire so technically not in the peak district?! I dunno.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I’m a useless mountain biker but have made I down the Beast a couple of times. The first time with a few dabs, the second time I just went for it. I’ve successfuly been down Jacob’s as well and don’t know how anyone in their right mind can think about riding up it.

However, I went down Cavedale not knowing what I had let myself in for and completely bottled the bottom part which I still have nighmares about. Tank traps is something that springs to mind about that trail.

fatboyjon

Jekkyl, the Peak District includes bits of Derbyshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire, Greater Manchester and Yorkshire. Hollinsclough’s trails can play the game.

jekkyl

indeed Hollinsclough is in the peak district: http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/maps/pdmap

strange how there’s little cut outs for Buxton, Glossop and Hayfield. Wonder why that is.

crazy-legs

strange how there’s little cut outs for Buxton, Glossop and Hayfield. Wonder why that is.

You often find that in National Parks. It makes development / housebuilding / renovations easier.

thepodge
    Free Member

Anyone who says Parkin clough is easy doesn’t know where Parkin Clough is.

The top stepped section is ridable, the bottom section (after the fire roads where everyone turns off and thinks they’ve “cleaned Parkin”) is barely walkable never mind ridable.

docrobster
    Free Member

+1 thepodge
    I’ve never attempted to ride Parkin but have walked down it with a dog on a lead and 2 dozen cub scouts to look after. Virtually impossible to get down on foot.
    For me cavedale is always the biggest challenge. I can now clear it if the conditions are right. The beast is easy in comparison.
    I was thinking hollinsclough too, having ridden those trails only once in a thunderstorm I had one otb and one section I had a dab so had to go back and do it again. Might well be dead easy in the dry though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘What's the most technically challenging trail in the Peak District?’ is closed to new replies.