Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • What's the most over-rated bike out there?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Go.

ton

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

+1 on the 5

coogan
    Free Member

Wot they said.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

See, that’s funny. I would have said the 5 too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

29ers and Singlespeeds.

🙂

ackie
    Free Member

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

29ers

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

nonk
    Free Member

the 5.

amplebrew

Stumpjumper FSR’s

I see loads out and about, but after I had a long ride on one; I can’t really see why they’re so popular.

I might have missed the point though 😳

khani
    Free Member

Jorden!

vinnyeh

how can a bike be overrated?
    Don’t you mean ‘what bike is it that I/you don’t like, but loads of others do?’

khani
    Free Member

Doh!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

khani’s spelling!

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Anything with suspension (excluding tyres)

beanieripper
    Free Member

turner 5 spot

cynic-al
    Free Member

Easy. Heckler or any DW crap.

khani
    Free Member

😳

ton

29rs look good on some folk……………. 😉

popstar
    Free Member

I didn’t ride 5 so can’t comment. But for what they are, they are bloody expensive piece of tractor work.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

That does look good on you Ton. The mountains behind add a bit of drama too.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I will get linched for this one

Over hyped full sussers

ok I will get my coat

kevin1911

+1 on DW-link bikes. Don’t get it. Doesn’t feel right to me (in my highly detailed 2 min car park tests of 2 different bikes)

vondally
    Free Member

vpp blur mk 2 vastly underwhelmed in my months of ownership

tazzymtb

anything made by specialneedz

trumplesneaker
    Free Member

Surely if the 5 was so over-rated by magazines or whoever, at some point it would filter up from grass roots i.e. people on here or riders generally, that it isn’t as good as claimed?

What happens in fact is when folk ask “what’s a great all round trail bike to buy?”, the lots of people (perhaps a majority) say a 5, or maybe 5 owners are just evangelical about their own bike?

(I’ll come clean and say I am that way about my Alpine so this may give my comments here a bias :?)

allmountain76
    Free Member

Zesty

tazzymtb

actually I’d like to change my nomination to anything by IF. A few bits of pipe welded together with a bit of bling on the headtube and all nichemongering attention whores have a “personal moment” and have to go and change their pants.

sharki
    Free Member

I see everyone has had such a range of experience riding different bikes.

No such thing as a modern over hyped bike, just an unfashionable one based on popularity.

A high percentage of bikes never get used to the capacity that they were designed for or even close.

Judgement then is clouded by appearance and price.

Garry_Lager

I see the superlight getting over-rated a fair bit – It’s obviously been a class design that’s tried and tested, but it’s nothing out of the ordinary now, doesn’t really offer anything unique. Everyone else has caught up, and the hefty price makes it way uncompetitive as a purchase.

It still seems to offer a lot of cachet, which is fair enough, it’s a good bike. People lusting after the superlight, though, often sound misled by nostalgia that there’s something special about it, when there really isn’t anymore.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

not an answer per se (so change for STW then!) but interesting to see different perspectives on fashions. Did bristol bike fest which seemed to follow the current UK trend with long travel steel hardtails dominating the field. Holidayed in Colorado and EVERYONE rides a 29er and our ex pat host couldnt get his head around someone building a hardtail heavier than a full susser and sticking 5 inch travel forks on it.

Recently spent an evening with a lifelong roadie whos just bought an MTB and he cant understand why bar ends on risers is a hanging offence and everyone wears flappy baggies…

And to answer the Op, easy, the Orange 5. Overpriced shipyard-aesthetic basic single pivot which probably climbs better in the granny than my VPP bike. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cotic Soul, runs for cover.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I have had another external nomination for the Cotic Soul. Person is a member of the forum but wished to remain nameless for fear of repercussions.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I borrowed a 5 (AM) the other day, very impressed by it.

I’ev always wondered whether they’d be half as popular with the Brit MTB fraternity were it not for the fact that Orange are based on home soil.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

all down to personal taste, otherwise we’d all be riding the same bike if we all liked the same thing.

I’m not keen on inbreds – too long in the top tube and always seem to be built up with a low front end, which is good as a singlespeed as it keeps the front end down, but as a geared trail bike, not the most fun to ride. But thats just my view and many people love them.

locomotive

Anything carbon that isnt a TT bike.

coogan
    Free Member

and the hefty price makes it way uncompetitive as a purchase.

Yes. £800 is a complete rip off…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

oh and cotic soul as well – the one (granted only one bike ridden) I rode felt like i was sat right over the back wheel, again a very long top tube and v steep head tube. Angles just felt all wrong to me.

carbon337
    Free Member

heckler

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘What's the most over-rated bike out there?’ is closed to new replies.