Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's the minimum extended seatpost length to run a reverb.
  • craig5

I’m after a reverb, but can’t find the minimum extended seat post lengh required. I have 175mm post visible from seat clamp to sadle rails when my sadle is at pedalling height. I have read that I need 195mm minimum post extension. Is this true?

Any help would br appreciated.

v10
    Free Member

Its 195mm on a 125mm travel version. Buy a 100mm one and you will be fine.

richmtb

I’m pretty sure mine is about 175mm and its a 125mm travel post

Bike discount had the 125mm version on sale and I was worried it would be a bit marginal. In the end it fitted fine

chives
    Free Member

I asked the same question of Merlin Cycles a while back; for the 125mm travel it’s 195mm, for the 100mm travel 175mm. HTH

richmtb

OP if you can wait for definitive answer I’ll measure mine when I get home

craig5

Ok then next question, how dose the MMX clamp work? I’m running old X9 shifters, which don’t have a split clamp. So I’m thinking I’m going to need a standard remote. Merlincycles say this is available separatlely but they don’t sell it and I can’t find any body who dose?

richmtb

MMX clamp has a little “knuckle” that the clamp bolt goes through you can remove this put the bolt through compatible shifters instead.

If you aren’t using Sram shifter or they are the older type that dont use this system then just leave the knuckle in place and clamp the adjuster leaver to your bars as normal.

Also some people like to run the right hand lever upside down on the left as this protects the lever from crashes and inverting the bike

v10
    Free Member

Thats not quite correct:

The removable knuckle has nothing to do with the shifter its only used when a MMX compatible Avid brake isnt used in conjunction with remote.

The shifter mounts onto a small extension plate that comes with the MMX remote.

If your running this style of X9 Shifter then it will mount directly onto the remote using one of the two threaded holes that the original clamp attaches too:

If your running this style then you cant and you can mount the shifter as per normal alongside the reverb remote.

This image should clear everything up.

You use the little knuckle if your not using an MMX avid brake (it effectively replaces the darker grey brake section of the clamp).

The shifter extension can also be removed if your X9 shifter isnt compatible, it simply unscrews from a removable back plate insider the reverb remote.

Also worth noting that if you do run the remote upside down on the opposite side you will not be able to direct mount the shifter to it (but you could still direct mount an MMX Avid brake).

rooney
    Free Member

Can I ask why this is needed? My reverb is only 10mm from the seat post to the bottom of the big bolt bit? Is this included in the 75mm required?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can I ask why this is needed? My reverb is only 10mm from the seat post to the bottom of the big bolt bit? Is this included in the 75mm required?

Just checked on the missus bike.
    In the pic there is the distance from top of usable post to the rails (about 27mm on the older ones) and the space the nut takes up (about 35mm on the old ones) I would guess the 70mm currently quoted is the safe measurement for those.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's the minimum extended seatpost length to run a reverb.’ is closed to new replies.