Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • What's the longest spell you've spent off the bike? Ever considered giving up?
  • samuri
    Free Member

I broke my knee skateboarding a few years back. I was pretty much out of any normal activity for 3 months. Doctor told me I might never ride a bike again. I told him to **** off. I wore out three pairs of crutches. I ragged an enormous anmount of lazy bastardas who park in disabled spaces. Face to face arguments with as many as I could, useless buggers. Kill them on the spot, burn their bodies to keep the old warm. God I learned to hate lazy people and people who lie about being ill.

The day my cast came off the doctor told me I should take it easy for a month or so. HHHHHHAAAAAA HA AHAHAHAHAHA! What gimby. I drove a car that morning and rode a bike that evening. My broken leg is stronger than my none broken one.

Without the option of getting back on a bike, I’ve have said fair enough and capped myself. Why would I carry on as I am without riding?

davetrave
    Free Member

Enforced 6 months off all bikes, pretty much like clockwork, every 2 years… 🙁

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Things like this make me remember that selling bikes is a stupid idea

Coastal Crew – Inside Out

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

It’s reassuring to know other people have been on the same boat… Thanks for the hypothetical kick up the behind guys! 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

About 4 weeks a few times when my son was very young and I was either knackered or my wife was or he was being extra hard work…

Luckily things have settled down now 🙂

gazza100

I’m lucky to have been on the bike 5 times since September last year. This has been due to college and a car accident (was rear ended when working as a driving instructor). Thought about packing it in and doing more hillwalking. However, as i sit typing this i’m swithering about going out on the bike. Sometimes it’s the thought of getting ready that puts me off, or in other words, being a lazy fecker.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In the 3nd year on uni I crashed and buggered up my knee. Took about 30 months before I could ride properly again with any regularity!

trail_rat
    Free Member

went from my peak fitness of about 600k a week last year to nothing by working in africa for 6 months

took up running

its taken me a while to transition back into riding – other than commuting

MentalMickey
    Free Member

6 weeks for me, currently into 3rd week after damaging ribs, went for my first jog today to try and fight the weight gain, hurts like bugger now and can’t do the sit ups I intended at the end. 🙁 Can’t wait to ride again though.

Got a brand new 29’r sitting at home with laundry hanging off it

That could be a whole new thread? Alternative uses for your bikes? 🙂

nedrapier

I’ve had some sort of wheels all my life. Trikes were a natural progression from sitty-pushy things, bikes from there, and I’ve always had a bike of some sort ever since. Longest period away was over a winter season in BC, when the ground conditions weren’t conducive to riding bikes!

They’re such a brilliant and invention, and so satisfying to ride. Sometimes I’ll see someone riding a bike when I’m walking, and I’ll just yearn for the simple feeling of pushing on the pedals, the movement, and the wind in my face.

I’ve had my mountain bike for 11/12 years, and I’d never sell it. Far too emotionally attached. It’s a bit of hotch potch anyway, and it’d be depressing to find out how much it’s worth!

I’m sure I’ll have time away from riding in the future, you never know what’s around the corner, but the concept of “giving up” doesn’t quite make sense to me. It’d be like saying I’m going to give up going outdoors.

It’ll always be there, and I’ll always love it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Back in the day I was a semi pro roadie for 6 years and I damn near killed myself training (and deffo killed my then relatinship) After getting to the point of exhaustion I bailed out and returned to childhood passion for sailing, I hated the bike after that, couldn’t look at one for 6or7 years and really enjoying sailing so why bother. Then a mate (from back then) caught up with me and came to stay for a long w/e and he brought his bike (TREK Madonne) and a Dale CAAD and I hated him for it. I just knew if I climbed back on that’d be it..I’d get another.. and true to form I did just that.. I bought another one after he went home.. git. I most deffo needed the break but 6years?? may have been a little too long..hahahaha

trail_rat
    Free Member

mickey – you hurt ribs – cant ride but will try and run/do sit ups

trust me riding your bike will be less painful…. i broke 2 ribs and so long as i took it easy i could ride a bike. how ever i could barely breath 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Was off riding for months at a time when junior was a youngster. Most I’m off it now is three days unless we’re abroad on holiday. Commuting by bike has made a massive difference to the amount of riding I do though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m currently 1 week into a 6 week layoff with a broken ankle, and I totally agree with this:

I wore out three pairs of crutches. I ragged an enormous anmount of lazy bastardas who park in disabled spaces. Face to face arguments with as many as I could, useless buggers. Kill them on the spot, burn their bodies to keep the old warm. God I learned to hate lazy people and people who lie about being ill.

I can’t and won’t use a disabled space but there’s people that do just through idleness.

I gave up cycling in the mid-90s and went to motorbikes, but I worked out long ago that bikes (Of any kind) make me happy, so as long as I can get on one and ride it, I will……

Blower
    Free Member

on and off,all my life,a bit of living inbetween got in the way 😉

Christowkid
    Free Member

I nearly posted a similar question over the weekend.
    Had ’09/’10 winter continually with one cold after another until after Easter. Became a coughing wreck. Diagnosed Adult onset Asthma. Grrr.
    Over last summer, the money saved for a new frame was spent on a ne instrument as I simply didn’t know if I’d be fit enough to pick it back up…. so learning a new instrument made me do something to keep the brain active. Also very addictive!
    Over last summer felt better and started to get out a bit, then winter hit, then work got silly follwoing redundancies, got overworked so weekends became ‘resting for next week’ and being wiped out.
    All in all it’s broken my habit of getting out at the weekend.
    Went out this weekend for 3rd short trip since January. I enjoyed the pootle, and mentally had a beautiful spring clean. Needed that!
    Am worried that lack of exercise is not good for me.

I need to kickstart the habit again……..
    and hopefully my mojo will return???
    Fingers crossed.

Waderider
    Free Member

/rant on

The disabled space abuse thing really annoys me; my mother in law is in a wheelchair, and space abuse can cause real problems. Like speeding and poaching, it seems ignoring disabled only signage is a national sport/ a socially acceptable crime.

It’s low level antisocial behaviour like this that really rips my knitting. I regard it as a root of societies greater ills. To many people care only about themselves or never give a moments thought to anything.

(I still don’t read the daily mail :D).

/rant off

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

racefaceec90 seeing Rush at the NEC. You lucky lucky sod!

_tom_
    Free Member

I consider giving up mtb each time I have a crash that ends in more than just a graze or two. Confidence is getting more shattered each time! It’s way too fun to properly give up though, I think.

I think I’ll always ride a bike whether it’s a mtb, bmx or road bike. Longest I was off one for was about 2-3 years when I sold my bmx.

pickle
    Free Member

never really had to much of a break on MTB’s but over the last few months i’ve pretty much given up on the BMX’s…….years of never getting any better, not having any balls to try anything that might remotely hurt (which is pretty much anything on a BMX if you get it wrong) so at 41 i think it’s time to hang up the BMX bikes (sell off a few) and concentrate on the 456 and use the money to buy a nice new Ti 456 to replace my trusty steed.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What's the longest spell you've spent off the bike? Ever considered giving up?’ is closed to new replies.