• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by djtom.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whats the latest XC brake of choice – help please.
  • Buzzard
    Free Member

After ripping my brake lever off my 8yr old Marta SL’s I think its time for a new brake set. Liked the look of XT’s but below thread has put me off.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-up-with-my-xt-brakes/page/5

So what else is there for around 200 notes? perhaps £250 at a push.

Seen some cheap formula R1’s but never tried Formula before. Magura MT8’s look nice but price is crazy.

What else is there? are the XTR Races’s any better than the XT’s above?

oliverracing

XTR Race – bloody awesome brake with more power than I could ever need and have better modulation than the XTs they replaced (I weigh in at around 73kg and using 160mm lightweight rotors)

I’ve got the M9000 and not had any issues with pump up, but I guess that without the servowave they are simpler so guess they don’e suffer from the same problem? They are available for £200 if you shop around too!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got XT M8000’s on my XC FS and they’re ace, loads of power and look lovely.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Thanks all,

Any thoughts not Shimano?

adsh
    Free Member

Hope Race Evo – love mine but matchmaker clamps for 11sp are limited to XX1 or XT i spec B

everyone
    Free Member

I’m really liking my formula R1s at the moment. They weren’t in the best nick when I bought them but they’ve got so much more power compared to the hope tech x2s they replaced.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Hope x2 race or Non race if you’re not bothered about the tiny bit of extra weight. No way would I be buying disposable shimano if I had your budget. The hopes look nice, work nice, have plenty of power for an xc bike and will still be working in many years time.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve got a nearly new pair of Hope X2 Race brakes for sale at the moment. They’ve been sat around waiting for a bike to put them on since removing from another more than 12 months ago. The reality is it’s probably not going to happen. Email in profile if interested… They’re in very nearly new condition and have got brand new OEM pads fitted too.

scotroutes

M8000s – perfect since I carried out a proper bleed on them (after having shortened the hoses)

apuking
    Free Member

Another vote for the M9000, low weight, great looks, great price, great power, Subjective but best shaped lever, + No Squeeking dead rabbit noise.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have been a huge Shimano fanboy for ages but have fallen out of love with them a bit after a few squiffy sets. My last (XTR Trail) were just about to be returned due to inconsistent lever feel when my bikes were stolen. My XT 785’s weren’t great either. The best Shimano brakes that I’ve had recently were both sets of Deores – great lever feel and just worked.

I’ve since switched to Sram Guides and have been really surprised at how good they are – powerful, nice lever feel and easy to bleed.

djtom
    Free Member

Hope Mini X2 Pro are good and light – nice carbon levers too. Saves over 150g over a set of XTs.

<shameless plug alert> I have some for sale in the Classified ads if you are interested….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whats the latest XC brake of choice – help please.’ is closed to new replies.