Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's the greatest bike adventure anyone has ever done?
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Let me expand and explain the question – I was speaking to someone today who road offroad from Lisbon to Scotland, did the HT550 route and is now riding home. That’s a fair old jaunt, but each year there are people do longer and more difficult journeys.

There is some German bloke who was pretty much on one continuous tour since 1966 and 2010 and covered 600,000km.

Then there’s the guy who rode from Sweden to Everest, soloed Everest then rode home.

IS there anything beats either of those last two?

AlasdairMc

The woods behind Nationwide?

There are stories of early cyclists touring North America, real pioneer stuff. I think it was on here that I read about it.

ampthill

Helen Skelton riding to the pole?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Helen Skelton riding to the pole?

😯
    That’s just a dream, isn’t it?

TheBrick
    Free Member

My favoirates are:
    Goran Kropp (everest guy) with his 02 bottle free assent of everest adn towing a massive trailer.
    Ian Hibell who cycled all over the world including arguably the first overland crossign of the Darien Gap.
    Annie Londonderry who cycled around the world solo as a woman back when doing so was a real challenge.

Pyro

Helen Skelton Maria Leijerstam riding to the pole?

FTFY

Although that was a trike, not a bike. Still pretty cool.

TheBrick
    Free Member

There is some dutch teacher / come cyle tourest auther that has doen some massive milage too.
    Also Steve Abraham who is (was until he was hit off) trying to beat Tommy Goodwins record.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Thomas Stevens was the first person to circle the globe by bicycle. He rode a large-wheeled Ordinary, also known as a penny-farthing, from April 1884 to December 1886. He later searched for Henry Morton Stanley in Africa, investigated the claims of Indian ascetics and became manager of the Garrick Theatre in London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Stevens_(cyclist)

In 1884 he acquired a black-enameled Columbia 50-inch ‘Standard’ penny-farthing with nickel-plated wheels, built by the Pope Manufacturing Company of Chicago. He packed his handlebar bag with socks, a spare shirt, a raincoat that doubled as tent and bedroll, and a pocket revolver (described as a “bull-dog revolver”, perhaps a British Bull Dog revolver) and left San Francisco at 8 o’clock on 22 April 1884

Nails.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Riding to Everest on a Unicycle seem to be pretty extreme to me.

khani
    Free Member

I rode through Basildon once..

soobalias
    Free Member

i cycled up the M1

Nico
    Free Member

Dervla Murphy takes some beating. She was attached by wolves in Yugoslavia, but luckily was tooled up.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

TBH the annual Pedal for Scotland event goes through Easterhouse and then Airdrie, although they limit the risk by doing this on a Sunday morning. When everyone is at Church, Aye Right!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I used to occasionally meet this guy when walking the dog.
    He gets around a fair bit

TheBrick
    Free Member

Alough I could not do what Mark has done his achivement is not that impressive in the scheme of othe items listed here.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I once hung around for ages in the snow waiting for a numpty on here called Glupton, we then considered walking across a frozen reservoir. Don’t know what happened to him but he said something about doing 18000 miles that year.

RepackRider
    Free Member

My most epic ride was in Canada’s NW Territories about 30 years ago. More grizzly bears there than people.

But I tell people that I had the best bike adventure of the 20th Century (Thomas Stevens, mentioned above, owns the 19th Century). Over a period of six or seven years my friends and I took our town bikes out on trails, modified them for off-road, invented downhill time trials to settle local arguments, designed and started building bikes specifically for the purpose of racing them downhill on steep dirt roads, and then named the result a “mountain bike.”

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

My vote goes to Anne Mustoe, a 54yr old overweight headteacher at a girl’s school who gave up her job, never having so much as mended a puncture on a bicycle, hadn’t even ridden one for over 30 years – so she bought one – and then cycled 12000 miles in 15 months. She cycled round the globe twice, once in each direction.

Put in context – I find this to be both incredibly adventurous and inspiring. Must get round to reading her book one of these days.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's the greatest bike adventure anyone has ever done?’ is closed to new replies.