Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Whats the going rate for building a brick wall?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Just testing the poss expense!! Anybody know or have had one built/quoted recently?

Double skin about 6ft high to replace the about to die wooden garden fence! Cheers.

wrightyson
    Free Member

A lot more than you’ll think I’m afraid. Concrete £70 per m3 for founds, reasonable looking brick, £200/£220 a thou, labour? What’s the length of the wall? Garden walls have always had a tendency to surprise people due to what seems a lot of money for basically a wall!! Any planning issues btw?

Stoner
    Free Member

^ what mr wrighty “why not use more concrete” son says 😉

Although I ended up getting probably the most expensive bricks in the catalogue for mine at about 46p each, and that was only 2p a brick higher than my builder’s merchant was getting them in for.

http://www.wienerberger.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Wienerberger/Page/ShowroomCollection05&c=Page&cid=1276535720146&lpi=1276535720146&sl=wb_uk_home_en&scope=TEF&action=fsearchall

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Skyliner
    Free Member

Wanting to do two walls at about 36ft long each! This is going to be expensive isnt it?

chakaping
    Free Member

Time to start looking at fencing.

😉

Stoner
    Free Member

12m foundations, 450mm wide, 450mm deep = 3m3 concrete = £200
    24m2 wall, double, = 2.5 tonnes of sand and 30 bags of cement = say, £100 + £120
    c.3,000 4″ bricks @ 25p = £750

2 days ground works and 6 days laying for one guy. Possibly less if someone else is making muck., say £1000?
    all in £2000-2500 maybe?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yep – it’s about £800 labour for a single skin 8ft high by 12ft long WITH all the stuff provided!
    Always buy one of those Tommy Walsh Bricky Mate things……..

Skyliner
    Free Member

Nice one fellas! Some serious thinking ahead. Will need to invite the neighbours round for some homecooked lasagne and wine get them warmed up for the “do you fancy going halves” question. 😆

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW, you’d probably want to add another £200 for the digger hire for the day.

wrightyson
    Free Member

You could probably shutter and pour it slightly cheaper, might look a bit prisony tho 😆

grim168
    Free Member

Brick laying course at local college ? I’ve done a 10 week intro and a 12 month one. The 10 week one would teach you enough to build a garden wall.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    You could probably shutter and pour it slightly cheaper, might look a bit prisony tho

Good luck with that one.

qwerty
    Free Member

HIJACK Stoner – what you be your general advice for footings for a block built garage walls? <2.5mtr high, just a basic non fancy build. Clay soil which seems firmish not spongelike. Ta

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Concrete £70 per m3 for founds

And the rest…! If you want it delivered, it’ll be nearer £100/m3

RegP
    Free Member

Sorry to hijack the thread but, I need some pointing on my house doing, what sort of m2 should a good bricky be doing in a day? He would need to rake out as well!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pp no it won’t! Yes you pay part load if your running a 6m truck in carrying 2 cube, but I can get minis or the onsite mixers for £80 a cube. I only based the 70 on a full load hence me asking how long the wall is.

Stoner
    Free Member

wot wrighty said ^
    6m3 loads at about £65 a cube. Onsite’s are around £75-80 near here.

qwerty – Im no expert, wrightyson is, but footing size for a building can be all sorts of sizes dependign on loads, ground type and proximity of trees. My neighbour had to sink 1.5m footings for his because his building control got al excitable over the closeness of some hawthorn! 🙄

If you go 150mm wider than the width of the wall on both sides and 700mm deep then you are prob alright, but that’s just a finger in the air.

wrightyson
    Free Member

😀 stoner!

As stoner said good practice these days is 150 over dig each side on overall wall construction. Ie 100mm block 100 mm brick 100mm cavity = 600 strip. You can fanny about coming up with sizes of footings but most machines will just rock up with a 2ft bucket and dig. 225 solid wall and I’d pull an 18 inch trench, end of the day you dig it you’ve got to fill it!!
    Onto the clay ground, it was once considered the bees knees for building off, soon as you hit clay take another six inch out and pour. However clay suffers shrinkage when certain trees are prevalent and that’s when LABC start coming up with ridiculous suggestions ready to bankrupt most average builders.
    Have a look round on what could influence ground conditions and go from there, if it’s something sizeable and permanent itll probably come under planning anyway.
    And mr stevewhyte it was a tongue in cheek suggestion due to my love of the grey stuff 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Stoner & Wrightyson – many thanks for your input. Our planned garage build will fall within permitted development as < 30mtr2. It will be a single skin wall so that will save in width, its the depth that’ll be the challenge! 2′ max hopefully as the soils gonna be dumped elsewhere on our plot. Thanks again (i’ll probably be asking some ill informed Q’s latr!!!!).

mattrgee
    Free Member

Try this:

The Bricky

Worth a punt surely?

yossarian
    Free Member

I think stoner and wrightyson should have their own satellite tv show to be honest. 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Which one you wanna be stoner? Handyandy or Tommy Walsh?

TheFlyingOx

Holy crapola!

I think I’m going to retrain as a brickie.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im more your Kevin McCloud really 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Whats the going rate for building a brick wall?’ is closed to new replies.