Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What's the go to Trail/AM wheelset?
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Evening all,

Need to replace my broken DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheels and wondered what’s the go to rim/wheelset at the moment.

Needs to be boost (rear) and nice wide and strong.

Last I looked it was EX471 XM481 etc

Cheers

scotroutes

I was thinking of “upgrading” the Spline M1900s that came on my Orbea to something with a wider rim. Would you be interested in purchasing them?

BoardinBob

Flows on Hope Pro 4s

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thank you for the offer but I’m moving away from these. Not a fan of them to be honest.

Prefer a hub I can work on.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

was thinking of “upgrading” the Spline M1900s that came on my Orbea to something with a wider rim. Would you be interested in purchasing them

scotroutes

Yeah, I’ll inevitably end up with Pro4s 🙂

Does this mean you’re finished with the loaner?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It does, I emailed a few weeks ago but it bounced back.

Things are looking up and my head’s in a better place.

I need to organise getting it back to you.

Still can’t thank you all enough.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Pro 4’s on ARC 30’s so far.

The Pro 4’s of EX511’s on my DH bike aren’t much heavier and seem to be very tough. They basically a wider EX471.

scotroutes

Nae probs. Fantastic to see you’re getting on top of things again.

We even have a PM function in the forum now 😆

submarined
    Free Member

Another pro4 on ARC30 rider here, live them.
    I’ve heard lots of complaints about rims easily denting, but I’ve had no issues at all. Had them on a 160ish bike over a year running less than 20psi, including black runs at not-really-pottering speeds, with a fair few tell tale signs to he edge of the lip, but no dents at all.
    Good weight, wide, realisable. Perfect.

I’m wondering if the issues are with heavier riders, or hard tail smashers.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mine ARC’s have been fine on a hardtail.

My old Havoc wheels were dinged to hell but still held air and set up tubeless really easily.

euans2
    Free Member

My rear ARC 30 dented on a red at Glentress, lost all its pressure and wouldn’t reseal, the pressures were around 20psi at the time. I wouldn’t really class myself as heavy at 13 stone and the bike is a 170mm enduro bike, I’ve since managed to bend the dent back into shape and it works fine now but I wouldn’t buy them again. I’d be more inclined to stick with Flows or WTB team frequency rims on Hope hubs

tomaso
    Free Member

I got tired of Hope freehubs crapping themselves and killing the bearings. It’s all very well having something that is easy to service, but the frequency for me was too great.
    I run DT350s now and in 21 months only the front bearings have been swapped out. Back ones will need doing by end of summer. Needing the DT tool is awkward but a mate has just set up his own bike servicing business and has the tool. The freewheel is a doddle to clean and keep sweet and has been faultless – no broken pawls, swarf and disintegrated bearings!
    DT XM481 have planty of battle scars from scrapes on rocks but only one small ding that doesn’t prevent being run tubeless.
    Other than servicing the freehubs too much my old Hope Flow set up was great.
    I’d always go with hubs that provide full spares back up and clear diagrams for servicing and be wary of cheaper hubs that look good for the money, but often don’t have the back up.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve heard a few stories now about Arcs being softer than people hoped.

Might give the flow MK3 a try

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’m about 120kg with my pack. Ridden ARC27 rims on dt Swiss 350 hubs for the last 2 years with no problems on my 29er. I’m not lightning fast but I am heavy, clumsy, pick poor lines and ride a lot of rocks and hit many a water bar. Think you’ll always hear more from the few who’ve had a problem than the majority who’ve fitted them and forgot as they just do the job! There’s not many ‘bad’ rims out there if you choose wisely for your riding I think so just comes down to budget, availability and personal preference.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Sensible words mate, Arcs were my original choice.

Hope pro 4 on 30mm arcs or EX471 xm481.

Think budget is the key. Riding style is anywhere natural really, peaks etc. I’m.very clumsy too so.strength is key.

Trekster

Where do you all purchase your wheels?
    Needing to upgrade my RM wheels before they disintegrate on this years Bubion visit, acquired a few dings and broken spoke on last day of last years riding.
    What’s the desired width for 2.3/2.35 tyres, usually Maxxis of some description but not tubeless

scotroutes

I build mine.

I’m looking at a 27mm rim for 2.3″ tyres but there’s a lot of personal preference involved. Anywhere between 24mm and 30mm will be just fine.

enigmas
    Free Member

I’ve a set of arc30’s on hope pro 2 evo’s and d-lights. Weighs in at 1875g for the wheelset (27.5).

Been using them for 3 months so far and I’m happy. Could notice the stiffness compared to a superstar tactic rims and I’ve had no burping issues.

I did put a tiny dent in the rear on the Cwmcarn Dh track (one of the drops into a bunch of rocks after the tunnel) but it’s holding air fine.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

DT Swiss EX 1501 is what I would buy. They are 471 rims on 240 hubs built by DT Swiss. A lot of 29er DH racers are on 471 rims at world cups, I think that says a lot.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Trekster

scotroutes – Member
    Trekster » Where do you all purchase your wheels?
    Needing to upgrade my RM wheels before they disintegrate on this years Bubion visit, acquired a few dings and broken spoke on last day of last years riding.
    What’s the desired width for 2.3/2.35 tyres, usually Maxxis of some description but not tubeless

I build mine.
    I’m looking at a 27mm rim for 2.3″ tyres but there’s a lot of personal preference involved. Anywhere between 24mm and 30mm will be just fine.
    tempted to do the same but time is the issue, not built a wheel in years!!!
    Got my last set from “Big Al” just before he announced his “retirement” 😀 Will have a word with him but he builds them a wee by tight imo…..

Decided to collect wheels and took the obligatory packet of biscuits… 2hrs before I escaped but it was an educational 2hrs 😉

PS; We have met briefly on Snowdon and have a mutual acquaintance in Gav Belton

mindmap3
    Free Member

They are 471 rims on 240 hubs built by DT Swiss. A lot of 29er DH racers are on 471 rims at world cups, I think that says a lot.

Or get the EX511 for a slightly bigger inner width of 30mm. Running them on my DH bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for the DT wheelsets or rims.

Shame they’re not more widely available.

wrecker
    Free Member

I built a set of 240s with 481 rims. I’ve never been happier with a wheel set. Not draggy like Hopes, don’t require kissing an cuddling like mavics and don’t require the sale of the first born to fund them like CK’s.

Bigmantrials

Depending on budget the new Bontrager range looks quite good, I think the lowest spec ones are around £300 and then £500ish before going to a carbon rim:

Bontrager Line Wheelsets

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Wrecker, where did you get your wheels from.

I’m struggling to find them.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Nope, the DT Swiss have me beat trying to find stock.

Are the Raceface Arc the same as the Easton?

How are WTB Asym wheels?

scotroutes

Are the Raceface Arc the same as the Easton?

How are WTB Asym wheels?
    Yeah, Easton are now Race Face.

Asym i29s are the other option I’m looking at too.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I have new flows on hopes. Excellent rim, strong and reasonably light. Bike shop rated them when they built them up too, said much better than the mk2. Bloomin wide though so need a 2.4 plus tyre.

pnik

Hope pro4 with Arc 27 came on my bike, no problem at all. I’m an inelegant lump and they’re still round and ding free. Had to tighten a few spokes after a brecon trip but all good for me with 2.3 maxxis.

hatter

+1 for the DT wheelsets or rims.

Shame they’re not more widely available.

DT Swiss dealer locator

goldenwonder
    Free Member

The Trailhead in Shrewsbury would be a good place to try for DT wheels, big fans & cracking service 01743 537124. Tell them Dave sent you.

ehrob

The last 7 months I’ve been running AM Classic Wide Lightnings.

They’re stupidly light and I thought they’d die in no time.

Got one small ding on the rear having ridden them in Tweed Valley most weekends, with visits to Dunkeld, Torridon, Fort William, Golspie and Wales chucked in. Would recommend.

That being said now I’ve recommended them mine will explode in the next fortnight.

mindmap3
    Free Member

If DT rims on Hope hubs are of interest, try Moonglu.

I bought the wheels from my DH bike from there and they’re really well built plus I think there’s a long term 10% off them so they worked out to be £450 delivered.

simonbowns
    Free Member

Fwiw, we (18 Bikes) are stocking a fair few DT rims and plenty of their spokes. I’ll aim to get those bits up on our website asap, but feel free to email us in the mean time for any DT bits. Madison can usually get things to us next day if we’ve not got.

We’ve been more than impressed with recent DT wheels that we’ve built up. We’ve used DT spokes for as long as I can remember! Happy to quote for wheelbuilds too 🙂

info@18bikes.co.uk but we’re closed Weds/Thurs for a funeral and then trade show.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, I’ve dropped you an email.

Mindmap, what’s the code for the 10% discount to compare prices?

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s a different code for each rim and can be found under the ways to pay section fir that particular combo. Pro 4’s on EX471’s is EX47110.

The wheels I’ve had are seriously good (not saying that those by 18 Bikes aren’t but I’ve never had any from them). Probably the bed wheels I’ve had built up. Stuff like the tension seems bob on, no creaking or twanging on the first ride out, logos lined up etc.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Still can’t decide between the EX471 or the WTB Aysm.

Hmmmmmm

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Just to add my 2 pence.
    There is a lot f chat on the topic of rims being tough durable etc.
    The other important consideration is tyre pressure.
    Someone saying they weigh 13 stone on 20 psi tyre pressure is going to damage rims.
    The tins is simply not designed to survive in those conditions.
    13 stone is 182lbs weight pushing down.
    You land that on a sharp edged rock with mass x acceleration with only 20 psi in the tyre on half an inch of rock!
    That’s 182lbs v 10lbs so 170lbs of load.
    Dinged rim time
    You have to be realistic with tyre pressures.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What's the go to Trail/AM wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.