Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What's the general opinion on the best 9spd chains these days?
  • gnarlynath
    Free Member

I've stuck with Connex 908s for a few years. Prior to that I was a devoted PC99 lover until the change to pc991 which started to snap on me.
    I've not really tried Shimano because I link the quick links on the others.

So, Votes & opinions/ experiences for:
    HG93
    PC991
    Wipperman/Connex 908
    Any other??

Cheers

toys19
    Free Member

At the moment I'm using shimano with kmc quick links..

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I use the SRAM PC950. Cost me about £15, which personally is the most I think you need to spend on a chain. Seems to work fine with no issues.

It's the 9-spd version of the PC850 which is a fantastic chain for the money and has a reasonable life span, especially with someone like me who's pretty hard on their chain.

Chains will only snap if they have a weak link, usually created by poor installation. Take your time installing it, and make sure you measure the chain properly so you don't have to reattach links because it's too short! If a weak link is created then remove the outer plates of that link and replace with a powerlink (you'll usually only find it when it snaps). They're usually about a quid or two for three links, always carry a spare one just in case.

Diawl
    Free Member

I changed from SRAM to Wipperman for the same reason. Very happy with Wipperman so far.

nickc

same as capt budget, using 950. I'm light on chains though, never snapped one.

69er
    Free Member

SRAM

drain

Never had problems with the PC991s myself (2 breaks in 6 years on different chains), but a mate bust 4 in quick succession. Possibly a quality control problem?

Have got KMC X9 SL on a couple of bikes: so far (6-9 months) so good, survived TransWales no worries, and they are stoopid light.

carlosg
    Free Member

I'm using PC950's , also had snappage issues with the 991's and removed 7 powerlinks from my last one 🙄

goldenwonder
    Free Member

KMC seem a really nice compromise-better than Sram durability wise & shift as well as Shimano (IMHO of course)

whyter

I like Shimano chains. HG53 or HG73 for me, joined with the special pin, and carry a powerlink for on-trail breakages. Only time I snapped a chain (in ~15 years) was when I tried a SRAM one.

I use a chain cleaner rather than take it off all the time, though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What's the general opinion on the best 9spd chains these days?’ is closed to new replies.