Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • What's the furthest you've ridden /driven in a day?
  • crispo
    Free Member

Birmingham to Lauterbrunnen for me at about 800 miles.

Had a little stop in London to pick up friends and fill up the roof box then got the midnight Dover – Dunkirk ferry then straight down through france the following morning.

ebygomm
    Free Member

500 miles just me driving, rotterdam to Denmark

890 miles sharing, missouri to denver, driving through Kansas is without doubt the most boring drive i’ve ever done.

piha
    Free Member

Monaco to Guildford in a 1974 VW Camper was a challenging drive but that was a few years ago, more recently Guildford to Isle of Skye, overnight with a fair bit of snow north of Glasgow. Kind of enjoyed both journeys.

SDW in a day on the bike, this years effort in the poor conditions made it feel much further than it was. I didn’t enjoy it.

alanf
    Free Member

Somewhere in the region of 1000 – not actually sure on the distance.
    Barcelona to Barnsley in just under 24 hours.
    That was a long day, as I was on a CBR400RR.

samuri
    Free Member

Not very far at all compared to some of you, about 220 miles which was Forest of Dean and back. Worth it!

lol, I’ve cycled more than that! 😉

As for driving I think probably around 600-700. From the North West down to mid France. Absolutely goosed when I arrived. In a horrible little 1.4 Astra.

grum
    Free Member

Mine was from Barcelona to somewhere near Argenton Sur Creuse – about 800km I think.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to go to Hungary a lot. Get off the ferry at Hook of Holland and drive through from 8am that day to get in midnight at the border, then another 3 hours on humpity bumpity Hungarian roads to Old Buda.
    The N and Motorways were just amazing ribbons of tarmac and going through the Black Forest (edge of) and past Vienna through the mountains.. Just amazing.

Then there were the days I’d cart boats around Europe, leaving the ferry at St Malo and hacking down to La Roch/Lorient/Quimper/Bordeaux was the norm for a good number of years, Then there were the overnight trips to Lake Garda/Como..Then there were the riding trips over to the Dolomites then there were the trips to Florence to ride around the hills..
    Over that period of time I went through 2 5 series 530d Sport Tourings, slammed 170k on one and 280k on the other within a few years, best cars by far for carrying and towing and just eating the miles up and so quiet too.. I’d average 40-50mpg which wasn’t too bad considering I would be either towing boats (various sizes) or with bikes on the back/roof and slammed full of luggage.

Now I’ve stopped driving so far and ceased the endless ferry journeys and midnight 20min sleepathons and think a 5hr trip from Sotty/London to Harrogate is quite far and tirinig!!

Matt24k
    Free Member

Often drove to Italy, near Pisa, in a day. Leave London around 5am, Euro Tunnel and 960 miles later arrive at the Pizzeria for dinner. Now I don’t need to drive the MIL I just fly. Much easier, faster and cheaper even when you factor in the hire car at the other end.

oddjob
    Free Member

I drove from Cornwall to Denmark on Saturday and into Sunday which was about 1750km and 23 hours in the car with petrol and food stops.

br
    Free Member

Leaving just after the evening rush hour from Fife,

Best comment in the thread so far…, you need to get out more mcmoonter!

Tracey

Barnsley to Verbier 830 miles

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve done Glasgow to Les Arcs in 24 hours, but with regular rest stops and driver swaps. Driving that far as a single person without stops would be a bit irresponsible.

MrTall
    Free Member

Darwin to Cairns in either one day or maybe 2? (was a long time ago) Taking it in turns between us and a knackered car which had to be kept running when we filled it up as it wouldn’t start again.

Cairns to Sydney in 3 days (600-800 miles per day?)

Cape Town to J’Burg in one go (shared with mate) which was around 14 hours or so driving.

Longest in this country was South Brum up to Inverurie (near Inverness).

ononeorange

132 km in the Chilterns. Mind you, it was dry.

richmtb

I’ve done a few trips around the 600 mile mark, not in the UK but in Canada, France and NewZealand.

They all involved a fair amount of either motorway or straight empty roads.

By far the most testing drive I ever did was Fort William to Skye, around Sky and back to Fort William. Its just shy of 300miles and took around 6 hours. But at the end of it I was totally shattered. Six hours on busy twisty scottish A-roads is a good way to fry your brain!

zippykona

Mr Tall, Darwin to Cairns. That is effing mental.Its a fair old whack to Tennant Creek.Took me a week!

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Done Geneva to Morecambe a few times none stop – about 18 hours with the ferry crossing.

Longest day was in an 18 toner – 2 am start manchester to London in the snow, picked another one up to take to Gloucester picking another driver up in Bristol on the way then another one up to Birkenhead docks to go on the ferry. Then had to hitchhike back to Manchester at 10 at night 🙁

tonyg2003

I once drove starting off from Perth (Scotland:)) at about 5am down to Northumberland, did some field work, then to the highlands above Crieff, did some more field work, then back to Perth. It was the day Branson (many years ago) first tried to cross the Atlantic by balloon, so we decided to drive to Prestwick to see him land. We got there just as they ditched in the sea sort of the coast 🙁 Then we drove back to Perth. I can’t remember the exact miles but it was near midnight when I got home. Completely knackered.

202miles (we got slightly lost) in 10hrs at Tour of Flanders is a much better way to spend a day.

ourmaninthenorth

Bicycle: 165 miles. 2010 Tour of Flanders sportive.

Car: 850 miles. Geneva to Manchester. Only non-driving was the tunnel. Only stops for petrol and proplus. Mazda MX-5.

manoirdelourde
    Free Member

I drive solo Berkshire to the Pyrenees (or the other way round), several times a year. 840 miles each way, usually takes about 13 hours including tunnel faffing.

I don’t stop for anything other than fuel/toilets (and occasionally the French police if my attention wavers).

ourmaninthenorth

202miles (we got slightly lost) in 10hrs at Tour of Flanders is a much better way to spend a day.

How the hell did you manage to get lost with 20,000 people on the route?

steviep
    Free Member

Luchon to Cleethorpes, left at 07.30 got home 23.30 this Saturday.Just short of a 1000 miles.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Slovenia to London in a day. We miscalculated our finances and realised (bank holiday or something) that we didn’t have enough money to last the week. In fact we only had enough money for diesel to get us home. Made it all the way from Lake Bled to Luxembourg on one tank of diesel! Then filled up on cheap diesel.

Kato

Sevenoaks to Lyon. ABout 550 miles? Couldn’t manage much more than that though

matt_outandabout

Meh, a mate broke his car key in West Cumbria. Spare was in Sheffield. Cue a Cockermouth-Sheffield-Cockermouth-Sheffield trip and be back in work next morning. Near 500 miles IIRC.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Birmingham to Mayrhofen 1000 miles (slight detour for shopping) done this trip twice.
    Birmingham to Zermatt 830 miles.
    Birmingham to Cham 800 miles done this over 10 times.
    Birmingham to several other alpine resorts 700- 800 miles (megeve, Les Gets, Morzine, Laax)
    Birmingham to Orkney 600 miles.

We do lots of driving in our family…

edit: always in a day, and always the same ridiculous ferry.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh to Eindhoven in. dunno how far that is – 700+ miles tho. BMW R110RS – just the bike for the job. 12 hrs including crossing the channel.

It did around 200 miles on a tank – 2- 3 hrs a tank full
    Stop for fuel, coffee and do it again.

philstone

Did Le Havre to Marbella once in a 2.0 golf estate only stopping for petrol – about 1225 miles or so, took about 19 hours or so, felt fine whilst driving but once I got to marbella I was out like a light after 3 minutes sat on a sofa!

Regularly do Saint Malo to Puylagarde in France – 497 miles – which is far better than when I was living in Marbella – 983 miles..

Its funny now living Jersey when people complain about driving to the other side of the island!

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘What's the furthest you've ridden /driven in a day?’ is closed to new replies.