Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What's the freezing point of Stans?
  • igm

Just riding along today, ghetto tubeless running fine, suddenly thought "it's sealed now, but what if I puncture?"

igm

Just me then

Simon

According to the NoTubes website, "The Solution can be used year round, even in sub freezing temperatures." Doesn't say down to what temp though.

Not a problem for me as I'm still a user of tubes. 😉

tazzymtb

had punctures using both stans and joes no flats in sub zero temps. Both seem to be ok but the joes was appeaared to work a lot quicker. I've also seen reviews that say joes works better with porous sidewalls as well so it may have a slightly bigger shred size for the latex.

mboy
    Free Member

It's got antifreeze in it so should be fine down to minus a fair few degrees…

If you're worried, mix some neat car anti freeze in with it, this will obviously make it more resistant to freezing. But I've ridden as cold as minus 7 before and it's still fine then.

andrewh
    Free Member

I'm pleased I'm not the only who worries about such things. I have tubes so don't know about Stans but I did ask google about the freezing temp of Magura brake-fluid. (-30C if you're interested. DOT fluid is -40)

trail_rat
    Free Member

i asked the same on MTBR and got a resounding dinnae worry its way colder where i ride than scotland and ive had no issues – that kept me happy !

BigJohn

Scruff had to put a tube in yesterday when we were riding around Grizedale. It was minus something and it wouldn't seal a small hole in his Conti Vert UST. None of the other tubeless boys had a problem.

votchy
    Free Member

Was still sloshing around yesterday in my tyres and it was -6 when we started and the bike had been on the roof rack for 1/2hr at 50+mph so seems to quite resistant to the cold

scruff
    Free Member

Yes mine wouldnt seal on Satdee, only pumped it up once to try but as it was well below freezing (minus 5ish) I just wanged a tube in it to get on with riding. Only other time its not sealed was also in well below freezing temps, and also in the same Cumbrian Forest…

Swayndo
    Free Member

I managed to set up a tyre/wheel in my garage on Sunday when it was minus 2.

Frankers
    Free Member

I've also found stans doesn't seal when really cold, it's not that the liquid freezes it just doesn't seem as effective when really cold.

I also had a puncture the other day when a massive thorn when right through the tyre and punctured the Stans rim tape on my Flow rims……doh 🙁

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What's the freezing point of Stans?’ is closed to new replies.