Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • What's the fastest you've ridden your bicycle?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Without trying too hard I managed 51.4mph in the Dales yesterday on my road bike. Who’s topped 60 or more?

chojin
    Free Member

Willy waving in 3…. 2…. 1….

DrP

55mph on the tandem.
    Down a hill of course, butwasbonkers!!

DrP

SaxonRider

Hill training on the road bikes back in 1988, we were clocked at around 75km/h.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

60mph

Bazz

49.9mph on the road bike coming down the south downs at the back of Devils dyke, still not managed to break the magical 50 yet.

fasthaggis

!!:¬)

psling
    Free Member

61.2mph on a unicycle going down a hill. Had to take my feet off the pedals at 53mph…

Haze

Road bike, Button Oak into Bewdley (Cloggs bank?).

tragically1969
    Free Member

This should be a sticky………

orangeboy
    Free Member

52.5 mph tandem down bath wick hill.
    50.9 road bike solo local tt cource big hill

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye done before many times- GPS photo of max speed
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave-lowe/3967306968/
    48.9 mph offroad down Drum mountain
    Lowey overtook me due to greater mass

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Overtook a camper van once somewhere near Keswick. I didnt have speedo, but it was on a main road and since the national speed limit is 60 miles per hour I reckon I was definitely doing over 60.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

53mph years ago on my Dawes Galaxy down a hill by the windfarms at the back of Ardrossan, aged about 16. I’d never go that fast now, the thought of coming off doesn’t bear thinking about.

mtbfix

53mph on the road down from North Third Reservoir toward Stirling. Back when I had youth, fitness, a Spec Allez Epic and a 53t big ring.

yoda
    Free Member

60 point something on the road bike on the way to Hawes from Fleet Moss,(so happy to have past 60 I forgot what the decimal place was) done it more than once but first time was on the Etape du Dales two years ago.
    If I had the bottle to pedal it could be faster, just sprinting off the top and tucking in achieved this, bigger ring and massive cajones could well see 70+ but certainly not by me and not without a set of leathers and a full face lid.

yoda
    Free Member

and if you need to see what the road looks like………..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfNQrsDAyls[/video]

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So fast that the guys I passed couldn’t believe that my bike wasn’t red.

(actually descending Dunmail Raise and Kirsktone in a tri suit! Against that felt a bit worried on the stoney descents at Swinley the other day. “leave the brakes, don’t skid, don’t fall of here etc….”)

tomhoward

What gearing are you all running to get these speeds?

Bregante

bigger ring and massive cajones could well see 70+

Yeah but you wouldn’t half walk funny.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What gearing are you all running to get these speeds?

The gears dont matter to much. You need a decent road with a smooth surface and a reasonable gradient. You also need a tail wind!

tomhoward

Ahh!

[quiet, under breath so noone hears voice] 35mph… [/pansy voice]

*runs off to find a bigger, steeper, smoother hill*

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go to The Alps, or Kirkstone Pass

jameso

Less of the figures and more ‘where?’ I know what 50 feels like as it’s not hard to do 45-50 locally, yet the upper section of the south side of the Iseran was speed like I’ve never felt before despite plenty of alpine riding. Had nothing to measure speed with but it had me reaching for the brakes despite no need for it, simply got scary-fast very quickly. Awesomely fast bit of road.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Less of the figures and more ‘where?’

Yes, on a wide smooth bit of road high speeds are fine.

Going down birker fell and seeing the cattle grid at the bottom coming up quickly always shits me up.

jameso

48.9 mph offroad

Fk. That’s about as fast as I can do on 95% of the chilterns roads.

ianpinder
    Free Member

90.6kph in Ethiopia. Not sure of the road…

crotchrocket
    Free Member

86.3kmh

on tarmac, but on an mtb. down rushup lane toward rushup hall b&b. I am pleased to admit I was scared enough to let a mate go ahead to give me a 2second warning if he hit anything.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

45mph earlier this week on a back road from Queen Elizabeth Country Park.
    It felt extremely quick for a bicycle, wouldn’t want to go much quicker than that!

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s about as fast as I can do on 95% of the chilterns roads.

It is bowling green smooth [ but it is technically a mountain] and there is nothing there to let you know your actual speed [ trees or the like] We only realised how fast we were going when we started to brake at the end and checked the GPS.
    Rarely get above 30 mph and rarely above 50 mph on the road on the road bike

jamj1974

My Cateye Cosmos 2 computer once showed a max of 458mph once. Christ knows what was causing that kind of malfunction…? Any guesses?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

84kph/52mph down the Crimea pass, would of gone faster had I had a bigger chainring!

jamj1974

Topped 52mph somewhere on the HONC route about 8 years or so ago…

CaptJon
    Free Member

40mph on the flat on my mountain bike when i was 17
    50mph going down a hill on my road bike – left my balls at the top so was using the breaks at that point.

jamj1974 – Member
    My Cateye Cosmos 2 computer once showed a max of 458mph once. Christ knows what was causing that kind of malfunction…? Any guesses?

Something bridging the sensors. Rub them on some mental to see big numbers.

RustySpanner

I went so fast down Cragg Vale once I thought I’d gone back in time.
    Then I realised that Mytholmroyd is always like that.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Over 60 mph, down the road from Teide in Tenerife. 😀

SaxonRider

Anyone else get a kink in their neck from watching yoda’s video?

weeble
    Free Member

I broke the sound barrier comming off Mt Ventoux once

Gary_C

On tarmac, on the mtb, Wrynose pass towards Ambleside. Scrolled through the VDO computer at the bottom to see a max speed of 56mph.

That speed can only have been for a brief moment tho…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

48 mph on Dartmoor somewhere (road). Would love to crack 50 but not sure I’d have the cojones for much more than that!

As above, I reckon it’s more about the right road and conditions than the right gears or whatever.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘What's the fastest you've ridden your bicycle?’ is closed to new replies.