Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • What's the dullest sport you enjoy watching…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Inspired by antoher F1 thread and the constant bashing that football gets on here, I'd like to know what sports people watch but realistically you know are proper boring. It's most likely to be the one your partner complains the most about!

I'm going to throw golf and freestyle motox out there…..

bassspine
    Free Member

cricket. In fact I enjoy it most on the radio, where the commentary is …. just…. so….. mellow….

tron
    Free Member

Sometimes I will watch Golf when I want to be really violently bored. It's about a once every 2 years sort of occasion though.

ro
    Free Member

downhill mtbing. like, what's the point?

but it can be fun watching people with more enthusiasm than ability…

samuri
    Free Member

Mountain biking in general, terribly boring to watch but I can't stop myself.

I like watching triathlons too.

iDave
    Free Member

curling, Olympics, strangely though I tend not to focus on the men's games….

andy7t2
    Free Member

snooker, but i always fall asleep after 10 mins

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

violently bored

😆

That's the sort of enthusiasm I'm talking about!!

HughStew

TdF. I love the futile breaks, petty squabbling, and most of all Sean Kelly's supremely monotonous drone, his monosyllabic answers to 3 minute questions, and pessimistic but almost invariably correct predictions for breakaways.

nickc

Stage road cycling. Really nothing happens at all for hours, and yet it's endlessly fasinating.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I only watch exciting sports:
    – cricket
    – darts
    – snooker
    – golf
    – cycling
    – F1
    I also remember watching Karpov vs Kasparov play chess some years ago.

smell_it
    Free Member

Darts, it's awesome! To me.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hairychested – that is what I'm talking about!!

Isn't the self-deprecating analyis of things you enjoy watching cathartic……. so much better than criticising the choices of others.

tron
    Free Member

Isn't the self-deprecating analyis of things you enjoy watching cathartic……. so much better than criticising the choices of others.

I think you misunderstand me. On occasion I like to be quite heavily bored. I'm not really enjoying the golf, but the boredom.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Tron – I don't think I do… that is the role it fills in my life too… as the golf is giving you the pleasure of boredom, you're ultimately enjoying the golf. It's best watched on a sunny day when they're are plenty of exciting things to do but you can't tear yourself away.

carbon337
    Free Member

Yacht Racing – love doing it and watching it.

On a break from it at the moment though as i sickened myself with the doing part.

Garry_Lager

Marathon running – if I start watching I have to see it through, even if someone's made a break at the 10 mile point and has the race completely sewn up – meaning it's just Steve and Brendan talking bollox for an hour.

I watch the occasional bridge tournament online – very engrossing but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

DezB
    Free Member

XC mountain biking. I like looking at the bikes 😳

donsimon
    Free Member

Rowing, what can I say? The technical courses, the variety of movement, the contrasting styles. There are so many things to look for. 😆

headfirst
    Free Member

I remember getting engrossed by the archery at the last olympics

clubber
    Free Member

Another vote for rowing though actually knowing something about it, there's actually lots to look for in the technique and tactics 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

SSSssssssshhhhhhh!

yoda
    Free Member

Fishing!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fishing – truly awesome…. any particular style?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Another vote for rowing though actually knowing something about it, there's actually lots to look for in the technique and tactics

Yep +1…used to think it was just awesome power until I knew about the finer points. It's actually quite comforting to see that even the best still get some strokes a wee bit wrong. And bollocks if I don't have to sit and watch myself on video this evening. It's going to be painful after a shitty outing on Sunday morning 🙁

But my really guilty pleasure for just having a coffee and vegging is indoor bowls. I fell in love with it in the days of Bryant smoking his pipe while playing and still love it now. I also look forward to seeing who's sponsoring the competitions – the best so far was Cooperative Funeral Care 😯

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Almost anything that isn't on TV much – so that excludes football, cricket, snooker, darts and a few others.

Quite enjoy F1 and rugby.
    Like 3 day eventing (horses)
    Love surfing, wakeboarding, kitesurfing, windsurfing on TV.
    MTBing is always good but very rare.
    Cheeserolling
    And yes – I quite enjoyed Robson's Extreme Fishing program.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DD +1 for bowling though it seems that the competitors are getting younger these days (or is it just I'm getting older) and I don't like the level of athleticism some display.

Robsons extreme fishing never had anything on A Passion For Angling with Chris & Bob. TV Gold!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

he competitors are getting younger these day

Nope, you're definitely right on that one. They're nowhere near as old as they used to be. Still plenty of campness though 🙂

I so can't wait till I can take it up – when I just don't have the energy or body for anything else. And it's an excuse to wear white trousers 😯

verses

Another vote for enjoying falling asleep while watching the snooker 🙂

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Alpine skiing. Very relaxing. Cricket/TMS also – it is the opiate of sports broadcasting.

But hats off to yoda 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

plenty of campness

The roll, the hold of position, the gentle jog up to a standing position… beautiful!

nickc

My granddad loved the indoor bowls, but used to get infeasibly angry about the blokes who insist on running after their bowls.

He never wore white trousers though. Perhaps he wasn't that committed

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He never wore white trousers though

Pffft…just a weekend warrior then 🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘What's the dullest sport you enjoy watching…’ is closed to new replies.