Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Whats the difference: Superstar Chain-device?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

I’m looking at the Superstars chain-devices for my XC bike, but can’t tell what the difference is between the XCR ST Chainkeeper and the XCR ST Single Ring Chainguide, both £19.99. Can anyone shed any light for me? Thanks

andyl
    Free Member

This is chainkeeper style with a less obtrusive cage than the standard evrsion.

Extremely light at 70g

Original type with the bigger cage is 5g more.

No idea if the smaller ones works as well or not.

edit: looks like the original has a ‘tail’ with bolt so the chain has to be fed through it. New style just sits over the chain and chain-wheel? dunno.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks andyl, I’ve looked at the pictures properly now (didn’t realise I could enlarge 😳 ) and it looks fairly obvious what the differences are, but still not sure which one I need / want.

jam-bo

really dont. spend a tenner more and get an E13 XCX.

the Chainkeeper is not fit for purpose.

andyl
    Free Member

Well…the longer ones looks more secure…but is it more prone to being knocked out of alignment? One of the reviewers seemed to have a problem but maybe he was just a muppet as how many times do you knock a front deraileur out of alignment?

I quite like the BB mount ones but the clamp ones do seem more versatile and free up the BB for other things. If you are just placing it over the chainring and chain then the smaller should be okay. you can probably just buy a new plastic cage to change to the other type if the clamp band is the same. Maybe give them a shout and confirm.

andyl
    Free Member

E13: http://www.descent-gear.com/index.php?sec=prod&prod=1336

£36 (+ postage?) (seems excessive to me for what it is)

SS XCR: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362

£16.99

Only difference is the E13 seems to have markers for chainring size and the SS is 19g more as it is 2mm thick not 1.5mm thick.

But then maybe E13 stuff does “just work” and is worth the extra?

Actually – I don’t like the look of the longer Ss one as that extra piece that moves it down below the clamp seems like it will articulate and cause problems.

jam-bo

e13 is £31 from CRC and works perfectly.

Superstar ST XCR chainkeeper is £19.99 and doesn’t work at all.

I know what I prefer.

kimbers

ive got the chainguide (not the chainkeeper) and its been perfect, might want to threadlock the grub screw that controls the horizontal position but other than that its fine

i also have the bb mounted one and thats been fine too

phil.w
    Free Member

I know what I prefer.

The other £19.99 Superstar chainguide? (the one that works)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of issues with my E13 XCX BB mount:

* Initially I didn’t crank up the BB cup tight enough so when I accidentally clumped it with my 5-10s, it rotated around and loosened the cup in the process – a nuisance when half way around the ride. Lesson learned – tighten the cup quite a lot.

* A chain link broke on Sunday and the broken link jammed in the cage as I was pedaling, dragging the device around the BB. After freeing the chain, I managed to tap it back into position with a rock.

I imagine these rotation issues are solved by having the tabs on your frame, but then being flimsy plastic, the devices probably just snap off instead.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Whats the difference: Superstar Chain-device?’ is closed to new replies.