Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What’s the difference between different chains?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

I’ve used Shimano, SRAM and KMC chains and tend to go for one somewhere in the middle of their ranges. Are cheaper ones just a bit heavier? Maybe don’t shift quite so well? Just as strong though?

Junkyard
    Free Member

srams are basically all the same except as you go higher up you get differences such as hollow pins to save weight or different side plates to ease shifting so I just buy the cheapest personally no real experience of the others

turnip
    Free Member

usually colour…. suckers buy shiny versions

Dibbs
    Free Member

The more expensive Shimano chains have nickel plated outer plates (and inner on the top ones) and are less likely to rust after the first ride, not an issue if you never clean your bike. 😕

Trimix
    Free Member

I buy cheap SRAM ones – they last as long as my cheap chainrings. Now I just change the whole lot after a winter of abuse. I found this much easier than measuring the chain to eek out a bit more life from expensive ones and then found the new one slipped on the old chainrings. Loads of winter miles one chain, one cassette and one middle. Like bic pens, cheap and disposable and do the job.

uplink
    Free Member

Didn’t I read somewhere that KMC make all of the Shimano chains?

mudshark
    Free Member

I think they do – or at least the cheaper ones. They also make Decathlon’s 10sp links as I bought 2 pairs for £3.50 and they have KMC stamped on them. I think if you buy KMC packaged ones they’re rather more expensive!

jonb
    Free Member

Go cheap, they all look the same after a few minutes of riding through mud anyway.

Used to use PC991 but now bog standard Deore which are less than half the price. No performance difference noticable.

abductee
    Free Member

SRAM
    830 standard
    850 chrome hardened (not chrome plated)
    870 chrome hardened (chrome plated)
    890 even more bling than the 870

I read an article that was talking about the previous models (PC38 PC48 etc.). To translate this to the current models 830 will wear out quick the 850 will last as well as the 870 and 890 but doesn’t look as good.

I guess it’s a similar situation with other brands and 9spd chains. the cheapest will be worse alloys and heat treatment. The next step up will be more durable but then its diminishing returns as you pay for the cosmetic differences.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What’s the difference between different chains?’ is closed to new replies.