Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What's the deal with bike bags?
  • MrSparkle

I’ve heard they are a bit keen on what you can and can’t have in your bike bag on a plane. I’m flying to Girona soon on Ryan Air soon so any tips or advice are welcome.

Kuco

No experience of Ryan Air but Easy Jet i’ve found it depends on the check in person. I’ve been slightly over weight and they just put it through then again i’ve been under weight and had arguments with them.

mrelectric

There were some useful posts on this this last month worth revisiting.

I did Thomson to La Palma in Dec 12 and they were not at all fussy except for the total weight, but from other posts, YMMV.

Kahurangi

Don’t forget you absolutely must protect the frame and forks form damage by putting spacers between the dropouts. You can make something decent enough with some threaded bar, nuts and washers.

paul4stones

Have fun in Girona, it’s ace 🙂

Hold on there; do some Google’isation on CTC bags; the theory us sound. If you put your bike in a cloth/soft bike bag there is no real lateral protection. Unless you put it in a hard case, it might as well go in a bin bag. But if you put it in a clear plastic CTC bag the baggage handlers can see it’s a bike, and seem to (Google it!) treat it with more respect than if it was in a cloth bag or a hard case. My carbon framed road bike was in prefect nick in a plastic see-through CTC bag when I landed in France on Easyjet recently. I have a hard case; but I don’t think I’ll use it again.Don’t try and take compressed air inflators via customs; not allowed. Other than that, I’ve not had a heap of problems so long as I’ve been inside the weight limit. Hope this helps

Hold on there; do some Google’isation on CTC bags; the theory us sound. If you put your bike in a cloth/soft bike bag there is no real lateral protection. Unless you put it in a hard case, it might as well go in a bin bag. But if you put it in a clear plastic CTC bag the baggage handlers can see it’s a bike, and seem to (Google it!) treat it with more respect than if it was in a cloth bag or a hard case. My carbon framed road bike was in prefect nick in a plastic see-through CTC bag when I landed in France on Easyjet recently. I have a hard case; but I don’t think I’ll use it again.Don’t try and take compressed air inflators via customs; not allowed. Other than that, I’ve not had a heap of problems so long as I’ve been inside the weight limit. Hope this helps

MrSparkle

Cheers all. When I went to do the Cristalp with Terrahawk a couple of years ago he gt his CO2 canisters confiscated. I’d forgotten that I’d got some in the seatpack which they didn’t spot so they got through. ;0)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘What's the deal with bike bags?’ is closed to new replies.