Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What's the crack with XC racing?
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I ride and race downhill normally, but now have a bike I can ride XC on over the winter for some training. I thought for a giggle I would try a few winter XC races, starting nect weekend with the Gorrick race.

Racing DH I know the format of what happens, but what happens in XC, do you ride the loop before your race or just go for it when you start?

Also, I have a BC licence for DH, but I don’t really fancy being in the sharp end of my corresponding age catagory just because of my licence, is it ok to just enter the ‘open’ catagory?

What can I expect in the open catagory? I’ve done the usual Youtube, it all looks fairly one line, is there any passing ettiquete for being passed, or being the passer?

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Dont worry about a BC liscense for winter raceing.
    A pre lap is advisable but not essential, if you havent done a pre lap then perhaps takeing it easy on your first lap and keep your eyes peeled.
    Passing works such as: you hear a cry from a rider behind. ” On your left” this means he is passing you on the left so try to make a bit of room if possable im sure from that example you can work out what “on your right means”.
    Bear in mind that whilst your there for a bit of fun there are a handfull that are really trying for a good position whether its for their own satisfaction or to please teams/sponsors so attempt to make a effort when being passed. Some people on here are going to kick up fuss over that comment.
    Go out and have fun! XC raceing is Excellent!

lucien

Agreed with PlumzRichard, I enjoy the fun of racing don’t take it too seriously, so when someone wants to pass, I try to make sure that I make room for them 😀

DT78
    Free Member

I started out racing last year (at the gorricks, SPAM and southern XC)

I’d turn up early snd pre-ride, one race I didn’t and I got caught out at a bit and had a bit of a stack.

Prob not for your first race but try to get near the front for the start or you will get stuck behind alot of slower riders in the single track which is frustrating as it is very difficult to pass until the fireroad sections. Don’t worry the faster riders will drop you in the start line sprint! Worth going out fast to start with than hanging back and then spending lots of effort getting past people.

I was really looking forward to this years brass monkeys but I’ve busted my collar bone.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think I’m just going to have a reasonable paced pootle for my first go, just to see where I would end up, like I said its more for winter training for DH than anything, but who knows, I may really enjoy it.

I quite fancy giving the brass monkey races a go too, I noticed them earlier – I know the area really well as I grew up around there & when I started riding again that’s where we went.

My main concerns are really that I know I enjoy the downwards pointing bits (obviously) and the tech singletrack, I just don’t really want to be bored to tears on fireroad slogs…

lucien

Hob Nob, the Gorrick races and Brass Monkeys are definately not fireroad slogs, they are singletrack paiiiiiiinnnnnn……but fun 😯

hh45
    Free Member

Gorricks are great fun – loads of twisty up and down singletrack, roots and drops. Pre lap well worth it IME. I would say that 80% of people are there for a combination of traing and fun rather than execting to win something butthat doesn’t mean we don’t try our hardest. I find you just get sucked into competing and after 90mins you lungs feel raw and your legs are jelly. Then go and have a cheeseburger with extra mustard and ketchup from the van and a few beers when you get home. Beats DIK every time.

Thetford Winter Series is good as well depending upon where you live. Todays event was as goood as ever.

rOcKeTdOg

weave fom side to side if someone is trying to pass, take the racing line, it’s a competition afterall! where’s the fun in letting people past?

😉

edhornby

turn up on an unsuitable bike, ride around, stop halfway to pull the mud from the frame because it’s rendered your gears unusable, don’t win or even get close to the podium, have a burger, go home

excellent 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What's the crack with XC racing?’ is closed to new replies.