Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • What's the best way to get rid of tree rats (squirrels) ?
  • CountZero

Here you go, this ought to do the trick:

CountZero

This is probably the best long-term solution, as suggested by several others:

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

I'm a bit confused by all this – where do 'squirrel rights' come from then? Surely if we live in a universe governed by causality, the whole notion of intrinsic morality is a fallacy anyway.

slowjo
    Free Member

"Squirrel rights" come from the same place that yoof's "respect" does.

We are all entitled to our beliefs/concepts of morality the trouble arises when you try and justify them on an internet forum. Some people will agree with you, others will think you are bonkers. Some will try to shame you into siding with them, others tell you the first bunch are bell ends. It is the same as religion, only more "right on"! 🙂

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

We are all entitled to our beliefs/concepts of morality

Who says? Where does that 'entitlement' come from?

(PS I'm a bit bored this morning and prevaricating in the face of a significant pile of dreary admin tasks)

slowjo
    Free Member

We are all entitled to our beliefs/concepts of morality

…as long as we keep them in our heads! 🙂 Once you let them out however…

(I have an equally dull pile of work in front of me so I too am bored 🙂 )

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

"Squirrel rights" come from the same place that yoof's "respect" does.

A 9mm stuffed down their baggy jeans?

LHS
    Free Member

They must have been reading this thread yesterday, they were lined up at the bottom of my paddock last night like targets a shooting range, swear one of them flicked me the vees. 😯

slowjo
    Free Member

Did they threaten you about abusing their squirrel rights at all?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just to jump in with both feet and say I'm in favour of wiping greys out. They need to be controlled. Those who think the countryside is full of flowers and no animals should die are urbanised and removed from nature. Ill educated even. Man is part of nature, and thanks to our large brains, can kill for reasons beyond hunger and animal instinct. In this case, because grey squirrels damage woodland habitat, carry diseases harmful to indigenous squirrels, and displace them. They are a man created problem and so there is no way you could argue that man shouldn't blitz them all within the UK.

If you disagree with any of the above I suggest you educate yourself.

an oasis of sanity in a sea of ignorance, supposition and townies who think they know better (i bet some of them are cat owners so therefore forfeit any argument about killing things as they choose to have a wanton killing machine in the house as a pet)

slowjo
    Free Member

(i bet some of them are cat owners so therefore forfeit any argument about killing things as they choose to have a wanton killing machine in the house as a pet)

[rhetorical question]Is this the same disconnect that allows people to eat meat too because someone else does the killing in an abattoir/fishing boat?[/rhetorical question]

LHS
    Free Member

Did they threaten you about abusing their squirrel rights at all?

I think they muttered something just before they met their maker! 😈

slowjo
    Free Member

I think they muttered something just before they met their maker!

What? Something like "Don't you disrespek me man, I got rights innit"?

stu1972
    Free Member

One of those swish bow & explosive arrow combos would work a treat, Rambo 2 stylee.

however, you could always make an insulated, electrified suit out of chickenwire, rubber & nuts. Probably more humane.

MrSmith
    Free Member

[rhetorical question]Is this the same disconnect that allows people to eat meat too because someone else does the killing in an abattoir/fishing boat?[/rhetorical question]

i dunno? is this disconnect the same as that of vegetarian (cat owners) who crave a Utopian world free of vermin killers while ignoring the prospect of a huge rabbit and pigeon population that will be feeding on their broccoli?

the same disconnect that gives liberal thinking do-gooders the inability to see beyond their own little world?

slowjo
    Free Member

You should see the damage that rabbits do. I do some "rabbit control" for the farmer who lives next door. On some fields last year I'd say a couple of acres of crop was ruined per field and I have 300+ acres to look after. At the end of the day, it all translates to higher food prices even for veggies!

Anyway, rabbit is tasty and 70% of the ones I erm… "control" are for the pot. I eat some, my mate gives some away to old age pensioners, we sell some to a game dealer and the rest (30%) are left for M. Reynard whose presence always gives me a lift or sometimes we give the smaller ones to a chap with ferrets.

Grey squirrels are just a different form of pest, they may look cuddly and cute but they aren't, especially when they get in your loft and like all pests, they don't go away if you trap and release them elsewhere, they'll either come back or give someone else a problem – not really a solution.

Viewing 16 posts - 81 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘What's the best way to get rid of tree rats (squirrels) ?’ is closed to new replies.