Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whats the best value GPS/HRM device out there?
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I want to upload tracks with hrm data to Strava. What’s the cheapest Garmin that does that and what are the competitors?

jam-bo

got a smartphone? topeak BT HR monitor is only about £40 and works really well.

superfli
    Free Member

Garmin forerunner 310XT with HRM £119 inc del:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Sports-Watch/dp/B0025VKW5K

Bargain. Just buy a bike mount for £6 or leave it on your writs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forerunner-Approach-FORERUNNER-Foretrex-BestDigitalMarket/dp/B008B851M0

mikewsmith
    Free Member

smartphones are great till the battery dies… which it does
    Do you want/need HRM?
    Garmin 200 (discontinued I think) does GPS
    500/510 does HRM look for some 500’s on special

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cheapest garmin prob the Edge 500/510.
    Cheapest is the Aldi GPS/HRM watch 65 quid if still in stock, equivalent of a £250 garmin.

Bryton and Mio are cheaper competitors to Garmin who are the Apple of the GPS world (we have 4 Garmins in our household so not a hater!).

Deveron53
    Free Member

I didn’t know one of these was out yet:

Topeak PanoBike HRM

Anyone used one? I have a S4 Mini. I have heard of problems with the early HRMs and the software being brain damaged on the phones.

jam-bo

that what i’ve been using for about a year. haven’t changed the battery yet. works really well, makes very little difference to battery life.

yes GPS kills smartphone batteries but I managed an 8hr ride on my iphone 5 recently so its not that bad, most rides are under 3 hrs.

hooli

A smartphone, a Polar bluetooth HR monitor and one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251394176089?var=550460646662&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 does the job for me.

Deveron53
    Free Member

My S4 mini has the extended battery so no problem with battery life. Plus, I actually carry a spare extended battery if I’m away for a weekend.
    Anybody got a PanoBike HRM, S4 Mini and successfully using it with Strava?

cookeaa

I just took a flier on this:

£18 from a dogey looking site… I paid with Paypal just to be on the safe side…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Just did some research. I need Android 4.3 to use BLE. I have 4.2.2 I will probably have to go and force an upgrade to 4.3 somehow. The auto upgrade button says it’s up to date.

winston
    Free Member

The Aldi watch is superb for the money – been using it almost daily for a few weeks now and the battery life is actually better than advertised. HRM band is a bit old school but other than that can’t complain. They sell on ebay as Runtastic.

crosshair
    Free Member

Just bite the bullet and get a good Edge. I have the 800 and it is so versatile. I got around to planning a route on it the other night and it’s re-affirmed my love of it! Once you’ve got it- you’ve got it and you can use it in the car or on the a Turbo or wherever.
    A few of the menus take some getting used to but there’s so many features on them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best value GPS/HRM device out there?’ is closed to new replies.