• This topic has 42 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Whats the best pain killer for bruised ribs ??
  • dickie
    Free Member

I slipped on the stairs & landed on the newel post, on my left side ribs. I can’t lay down, hardly get up from seated & in extreme pain when I move.
    Looks like I’ll be off work for the week as I can’t get in the car.

Whats the best non prescription pain killer?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Can’t help with the painkillers but get some Arnica for the bruising. You can thank me tomorrow.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Maybe go get xrayed.. They’ll prescribe you something strong in a&e

Otherwise cocodamol and ibuprofen (can take them at same time)

perchypanther
    Free Member

I slipped on the stairs & landed on the newel post took a monumental tumble over the bars whilst attempting a full tilt extreme downhill gnarmageddon, on my left side ribs. I can’t lay down, hardly get up from seated & in extreme pain when I move. Dude.

FTFY. Broken ribs hurt a lot. They deserve a better story.

speed12
    Free Member

I bruised my ribs snowboarding recently and although mine doesn’t sound as bad as yours, I found that just Paracetamol and Ibuprofen taken to their max daily dosage was enough to keep it under control.

Don’t bother going for an X-Ray; there is nothing they could do after an X-ray that they could do without one so probably won’t even give you one so I’d avoid wasting your/their time.

mulacs

cocodamol and ibuprofen (can take them at same time)

This. Don’t bother with doc’s unless you’re blowing bubbles…

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve just got by with combining ibuprofen and paracetamol in the past, something like Solpadeine Max is probably the strongest stuff you can get without a prescription (you’ll need to talk to a pharmacist before they’ll let you have it though).

anagallis_arvensis

Tramadol. 2 of those is like turning yourselfvonto standby for 4 hours

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I find laughter is the best medicine

Dansk1

Keep well away from anyone with a cold. You REALLY don’t want any sneezing.

onandon
    Free Member

Sniff some pepper, that’s great for helping bruised ribs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tramadol. 2 of those is like turning yourselfvonto standby for 4 hours

Or mellow it out by only having one but washed down by a good red, bonus points in front of the fire…

Drac

Cocodamol for none prescription, please don’t to A&E for pain killers go to a minor injuries unless you become breathless.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Get some of those sticky heat pads.
    They offered a dagree of relief when I had a couple of broken ribs.

Northwind

I’ve been prescribed cocodamol one time and diclofenac the other. Both pretty effective but the cocodamol helped me sleep more. You can buy diclofenac in a pharmacy, branded as voltarol, it’s not cheap though. It’s basically SUPERIBUPROFEN, you can’t take both.

IME bruised ribs are almost interchangable with broken, from a passenger perspective, but you get far less sympathy with bruised. So **** it, just tell everyone they’re cracked. Also, I always find the transition from lying down to standing up to be worst, but sleeping in a comfy chair or a nest of cushions instead of lying flat for teh first couple of days helps with that no end.

surfer
    Free Member

Cocodomol and avoid sneezing 😯

Fell in a XC race a few years ago and ended up hitting a grass bank with some force and landing on my own clenched fist !!!
    I was in 2nd place and clear and got up and still finished 2nd 🙂 the pain started to kick in an hour or 2 later. The next few weeks was entertaining. GP suspected I had broken 2 or 3 of them but as above its not worth getting an X-ray as the treatment is the same.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Sneezing after my scaphoid op was excruciating as they took a chunk off my pelvis as a bone graft. Bloody hell that cut through the pain killers……..

Can only imagine what cracked/bruised ribs are like.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Having recently suffered from fractured ribs (2) and bruised another I was x rayed, but they don’t x Ray ribs as a rule according to the radiologist.
    I was given 500mg Naproxen twice daily and Co codamol 30/500 Tramadol is another option but I’m intolerant to Tramadol.

I was given dicolofenac (voltarol) suppositorie and morphine in Urgent care.

Bruised or fractures makes no difference both equally painful. No treatment just strong pain killers and deep breathing exercises. No heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks.

Oh and don’t laugh, cough or roll onto your elbow in bed it bloody hurts.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

My mate has stuffed his stomach up by taking too much ibuprofen…

I took some of the thermacare back pads with me skiing a few years ago after having very good results from them for piriformis syndrome.

A girl in our group fell off the table during apres-ski activities and hurt her ribs and thought that the next days boarding would be a write off.

I gave her some of these pads and she was able to board all day.

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/pharmacy/thermacare-heat-stretch-wrap-for-lower-back-and-hip-2-p5000309006463/?gclid=cj0keqjwz-i3brdtn53z5z7t4pubeiqa23q2acmrjyave1v6a7s2l2p-nwygywq6lbsjfqnkib9qigwaari08p8haq

johnx2
    Free Member

a thread full of sound advice. I’d just add eat plenty of veg/fruit/fiber/prunes etc to minimise thumping of the bog wall in agony. Though this…

get some Arnica for the bruising. You can thank me tomorrow.

…is just a cruel attempt to make you laugh with derision.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’ve just come out the other side of broken/cracked/bruised ribs. December the 12th I fell off at speed into a bank and landed on my side pushing my arm/elbow into my ribs, and I can still feel them now. Couldn’t lie on that side for about the first 8 weeks. Not been on the bike since, although would happily ride now. Nurofen Plus worked well for me in the early stages.

cmadd
    Free Member

Fell of my bike Sunday , broken collarbone & shoulder blade , hospital gave me Tramadol & Paracetamol seems to be doing the trick

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Hot water bottle is nice also. Obviously not on bare skin.

jimdubleyou

I find laughter is the best medicine

Not with effing bruised ribs it isn’t. Hurts like hell.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You can laugh if you want to but I find it works.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Noticed a few suggestions of cocodamol, but after I got prescribed that when I popped by ribs, I found that I suffer from the well known side effects of constipation and believe me you don’t want to be straining on the toilet with knackered ribs!! 🙁

Drac

Cocodamol won’t bung you up as it has very little codeine in it.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Codeine in my experience. And if you’re buying arnica get the good stuff with a high concentration.

allan23
    Free Member

Damn I was about to suggest Picolax 🙂

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Can always take senna or get some movicol prescribed if your worried about constipation.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Try shutting you fingers in a car door as it will take the pain away from your ribs! 😉

Northwind

Drac – Moderator

It turned my crap to concrete tbh 😆 But I was on it for a while

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Snuff.

As much as your nose can accommodate..

jamj1974

Voltarol no longer available in tablet form.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I found lying on the bruised side far more tolerable than any other way to lie down.

Northwind

In that case, I shall sell you my rare, collectable, packet for £10000. Comes with free heart complications 😯

deadkenny
    Free Member

Got a cupboard full of codeine, Tramadol and Cocodamol from various broken bones including the back, but never taken them for that stuff, just Paracetamol. Ribs however I’d consider the stuff. Done my ribs in so many times and bloody hell it hurts. Also takes ages to heal. Months before it’s not painful sleeping on my side usually.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Technically the best would be a thoracic epidural 😉

AE dont do anything for rib fractures anymore unless you have a flail segment (Google it) or serious underlying chest pathology. Tramadol or cocodamol or just paracetamol will do, the most important thing is that you take it regularly not just when it hurts. You need to be able to take a deep breath, if you can’t your sitting duck for a pneumonia.

jamj1974

Tramadol, cocodamol, paracetamol will do, the most important thing is that you take it regularly not just when it hurts. You need to be able to take a deep breath, if you can’t your sitting duck for a pneumonia.

This is bloody good advice. Follow it.

MrOvershoot

joshvegas – Member

I found lying on the bruised side far more tolerable than any other way to lie down.

You did the right thing as lying on your good side will stop you from breathing properly which can leave you open to chest infections.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best pain killer for bruised ribs ??’ is closed to new replies.